Realistic expectations & being satisfied with them.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Realistic expectations & being satisfied with them.

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 am

stash59 wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:
stash59 wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:I agree with all that was said, but there is also a flip side to this. Nothing wrong with setting expectations that can be higher than that of someone else's. To each his own. To some peace, quiet, and nature gets them by, to some the pursuit and trials of chasing mature whitetails does it. Some like the work, others don't. Some hunt for friends and family, some are solo. Some are brown its down, some hold out for the best buck they can find. Some are physically limited, some are not. Some are willing to get wet and some want to stay dry, point is, each person finds happiness in his or her way. No one should ever judge or look down on that. If you can see that someone is hunting for what you think are the wrong reasons, maybe you should first check yourself, as to thinking your reasons are the only right ones. :D

I'm actually pretty surprised about all of the comments this thread is getting. Some of the comments are pretty moving to me. I was basically trying to do some cognitive therapy on myself. Sharing my thoughts with others. Instead of keeping them to myself. To me carries a certain risk. It's like letting someone into your brain. So it helps me keep my thoughts even more grounded.

I've dreamed of killing a large antlered mature whitetail buck. Ever since I heard my dad's northern Wi. big buck stories. As a very little kid. Just hasn't worked out for me yet. I've messed up all of my chances so far. I'm not getting any younger. Health wise I'm more like a 78 year old man than a 58. I see time slipping through my fingers.

So having to accept that the odds are way against me. For another season is a pretty big deal for me.

WA I agree with you. Setting a standard that is almost impossible. Is the pinnacle of mature buck hunting. For me personally. Cause if you reach it. You can have great satisfaction within yourself. But in the whole scheme of life and living. It's not really all that important. But it sure is fun trying!!!!

Never stop trying! As long as the good lord is allowing you to do what you can, I believe in giving your all to whatever it is you do in your life: that way there isn't a regret for lack of effort, lack of intelligence and knowledge maybe, but not heart. Keep at it Stash, your more of an inspiration than I ever could be. When I'm down it's guys like you that keep me pushing because I can physically and mentally. When I'm pushing my body to its limits I think of how much effort you go to, and EXO, just to hunt, that is the second wind I need. I hum the marsh ode with pride and victory at that point.

Not feeling like much of an inspiration lately!! My current Lyme protocol has knocked me off my feet and kicked me in the but!! So I haven't been even close to being able to hunt. Since opening weekend.

Haven't been posting on the Beast either. Partly because it's just too hard to use the computer. Partly because by staying away from the Beast abit. I can keep some sense of sanity. Though I'm very happy for everyone else. Especially for those that have filled their freezer and put some bone on the wall. It's just a harsh reminder of my inability to participate in hunts myself.

I haven't given up. But like in war, sometimes the best thing to do in some battles. Is to retreat and regroup. Looking at the big picture this set back should eventually lead to being rid of all of this. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

So 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: to all of the killers. To the rest of you, keep at it. With each sit your odds are getting better!

Thanx

Chuck

Sorry to hear about your recent set back Stash. Hope you get well soon. I was actually going to post over the weekend asking where you have been since I was concerned you haven’t posted for quite some time. Noticed later you were still logging on so knew you were still around. Good to hear from you. Hang in there. Lot’s of season left to get out there and do some hunting. The hot weather was pretty tough going so you didn’t miss much.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I have a lot of cameras out, plus a few buddies with a lot more. These cams are spread out across at least 12 different properties. The biggest buck we have on camera in the past 6 weeks might make 120", so as of this exact moment, it's not looking promising to bag a P&Y class animal in Michigan for me this season. There is still some time left to find one, but I'm not holding my breath. I've come to terms with the fact that I should be happy with any buck 3.5+ despite its headgear, or anything 100"+ despite its age. Those are just the facts of life in almost all of the areas I have access to hunt in Michigan.

That's because 100" deer or 3.5 year olds are hard to kill year in and year out. I don't care what anyone says here in Michigan. Do the average of bucks tagged and include the years they tag nothing and see if they come close to 100". And I'm not saying we have it the worst, but Michigan will humble you real quick.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:28 am

It is not realistic to kill a giant every year. But I would rather eat tag soup than kill a younger deer. Especially in Ohio where you only get one buck tag, I don't want to waste it on a 120" deer.
Finch85

Unread postby Finch85 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 am

Stash , sorry to hear about your situation! I couldn't imagine having to deal with Lyme.

Thanks for the post and inspiration though! I'll admit that I put a lot of pressure on myself during season. I expect to kill at least one decent buck a year (100-115" for me) but I also strive to kill bigger more mature bucks. I've even made the mistake of passing good bucks trying to kill something bigger but later regretted it. Hey, the guys on tv pass big deer all the time and in the past, those shows dictated how I hunted. No more though! Another thing I've struggled with is seeing others (facebook, texts, etc) kill big deer and that adds to the pressure when you haven't killed one yet. I'm a work in progress and I'm basically going to rethink my whole way of hunting this season. I'm not going to overhunt just to "be out there." I'm gonna be more choosy on which days to hunt and try to capitalize when conditions are more in my favor. Also, I'm going to hunt for me and not anyone else.

I'm glad I found this site and all the inspirational posts such as these. Speaking of which, I think this would be a contender for the best tactical threads under mental game.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”