Wyoming Mule Deer Advice?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Re: Wyoming Mule Deer Advice?

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:00 am

Ccwalker wrote:It's definitely better during bow season. I remember last time out we were camped near porcupine camp grounds watching a nice herd of elk on Bald mountain for a couple days before archery season. The morning of opener some guys got after them and completely pushed them off the mountain. I think my problem had always been, that my uncle was a road hunter and we'd see lots of deer right off the road and was able to get a lot of stalks in the first few days, then the deer would catch on. I wasn't going in deeper for them as the season progressed. Mainly because I didn't know how. Now with Google Earth and a GPS I'd be more apt to try some new spots. How was the cellular out there last time your buddies were out. Used to be you had to drive out to the tar to get any reception. Thought I heard too that they were starting to see grizzly ' s up there?

I asked about cell the other day and they said not good, but I also remember having a pretty good signal when I was there in 2011. We were hunting at lower elevation though because of snow, so that may have been alot different than where we'll be next month. It sure would be nice to have the google earth as we're out there.

Edit: Just read about saving Google maps for offline use, so I am planning on doing that in case signal is bad.
Last edited by justin84 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:07 am

Ccwalker wrote:It's definitely better during bow season. I remember last time out we were camped near porcupine camp grounds watching a nice herd of elk on Bald mountain for a couple days before archery season. The morning of opener some guys got after them and completely pushed them off the mountain. I think my problem had always been, that my uncle was a road hunter and we'd see lots of deer right off the road and was able to get a lot of stalks in the first few days, then the deer would catch on. I wasn't going in deeper for them as the season progressed. Mainly because I didn't know how. Now with Google Earth and a GPS I'd be more apt to try some new spots. How was the cellular out there last time your buddies were out. Used to be you had to drive out to the tar to get any reception. Thought I heard too that they were starting to see grizzly ' s up there?

Where I hunt in Western SD you absolutely cannot rely on your phone GPS. Handheld GPS unit is a must. I've gotten turned around after dark twice and it's happened to my friends too. If you've never been lost in unfamiliar territory, it's not exactly a good time.

Regarding road hunters, we normally don't hunt opening weekend so the deer are already pushed away from roads. Any two wheel track will get regular use. Usually we start finding deer about a mile in.

Just plan on a nasty pack out. Don't think about it when you're hunting. A half day of exhaustion s worth it when you get to look at his rack for the rest of your life ;)
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:39 am

I bought the Vortex Diamondback this weekend and plan to bring it along with my binoculars. Two in our group said having a scope helped alot one year they had one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”