Summer scouting/glassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Summer scouting/glassing

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:50 am

I watched a quick clip on facebook the other day where Don Kisky was doing some summer glassing on his farms. He stated how he'd observed better movement on hot summer nights rather than cool ones which i thought seemed backwards. Anyone else notice this trend or any other trends that give you the best nights to scout/glass fields?

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Summer scouting/glassing

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:01 am

I personally don't think temperature is the driving factor of feeding activity in the summer. I see plenty of deer out feeding in the evenings whether it's blazing hot or cooler. Does and bucks. I do see more activity before and after a storm front.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 am

Other than storm fronts anything you've noticed where more deer are out than normal on a given night? I know some believe moon phase/time but i haven't found any change in activity in fields yet.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:24 am

I was driving past a bean field yesterday and I saw three of the biggest bucks that I have ever seen in person! This was at 2:30pm and it is unseasonable cold where I am at. Everything I saw yesterday goes against most of what I hear from others, haha! It was quite the sight!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:48 am

When shining on those real hot humid nights I see my best bucks feeding well after midnight during the coolest part of the day.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:56 am

Glassing & hunting after an all day rain has been very good for me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 am

Sounds like it varies based on the deer and also probably on how long the weather has been steady. I have also had better luck with deer moving after a rain rather than prior to one
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Yeah mature bucks are pretty individual when it comes to this. From what I've seen. Alot depends on how secure they feel at the time.
I've run into them at odd times and places in the summer.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”