City Limits Deer!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

Re: City Limits Deer!

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:09 am

I highly doubt a pile of apples makes 200inch deer from nearby sancuries come running... we can bait here in MD, and the choice is corn... for a number of reasons, #1 being its the best bait.. above apples by far.

The reason he/they kill these monsters, over and over is location, location, location.

I wouldnt take anything away from anybody who harvest 3 200" whitetails as long as its legal! bait or no bait, you cant kill what isnt there and I suspect he's done his homework!

Sure a public land 12 point is awesome, but 3 -200" inch deer? cmon man...

If id take ANYHTING away from his hunts, its that he shoots all deer with a crossbow.... :evil: but again, legal.

You can't kill em on the couch
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 am

;)
DMiller6868

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 am

Brandon wrote:I highly doubt a pile of apples makes 200inch deer from nearby sancuries come running... we can bait here in MD, and the choice is corn... for a number of reasons, #1 being its the best bait.. above apples by far.

The reason he/they kill these monsters, over and over is location, location, location.

I wouldnt take anything away from anybody who harvest 3 200" whitetails as long as its legal! bait or no bait, you cant kill what isnt there and I suspect he's done his homework!

Sure a public land 12 point is awesome, but 3 -200" inch deer? cmon man...

If id take ANYHTING away from his hunts, its that he shoots all deer with a crossbow.... :evil: but again, legal.

Well we live in Ohio and we have corn fields everywhere. Trust me when I say this your "best bait" may not be my "best bait". I would much rather have a truck full of apples over bags of corn any day if I am trying to get pictures of deer, especially big bucks. The article reads "he just couldn't resist those apples". Of course it's all about the location as I mentioned it's a great spot near an unpressured park that allows the deer to grow old. Steve Esker said he shoots a crossbow bc of a shoulder injury. I'm not a fan but it is what it is.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:11 am

Good Point about the apples, and I guess your right on 2nd thought.

Were his other 2 giants and his buddies big ones killed on apples to?? If so, maybe I really am doing something wrong....
DMiller6868

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:01 am

Brandon wrote:Good Point about the apples, and I guess your right on 2nd thought.

Were his other 2 giants and his buddies big ones killed on apples to?? If so, maybe I really am doing something wrong....

I'm not sure to be quite honest. I would imagine a lot of the early season deer are killed because they're drawn by salt licks in the summer which then change to apples. But a lot of them probably come cruising during the rut.
mrjbigfoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MikeRTJohnson

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:50 am

One of the nicer monster bucks I've seen in my life was living in an Urban tract in a developing Industrial park where there was an old overgrown past tree farm that included 2 rows of apple trees about 50 yards long. The trees had matured over the years & were bearing totally wild untreated/natural apples, worms & all in and amongst all the weeds & multi-flora rose bushes that had grown in. The local deer herd had totally pulverized the entire area and were browsing all the apples as high as they could reach. I walked into it from the down wind side during August, just scouting in the middle of a Saturday and when I got to the row of apple trees, following a well beaten down trail, there was the buck, about 30 yards away, up on his hind legs, head up into a tree. I was amazed at his body size, that was all I could see at 1st and then he came down to where I could see his rack! Then he spotted me and we had a stare down for at least a couple of minutes where he actually turned his head sideways, looking at me like a dog would before he turned and hopped off never flagging or anything. I continued scouting & found an old permanent wood tree stand where someone had written in sharpie marker on one of the lower 2x4 wood steps, "If you get the big 12 pointer, call me! Bob" and he had his phone number penned in below it! LOL! Sadly enough, the whole area was leveled later that fall to make room for new warehouses.. wished I would've found it a couple years earlier..
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:04 am

cool story!
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 am

Looks like him and his buddies got it done again this year.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whi ... nster-buck
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:05 am

There's ways to hunt in the columbus area. There's a lot of pockets of franklin county land that is surrounded by columbus. Alot of people think it's columbus and it's actually franklin county where it's legal to hunt. Where I work has columbus on all four sides but it's actually franklin county for about an area the size of 3 city blocks. The pockets are out there if you do some research and find them and get permission.
mrjbigfoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MikeRTJohnson

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 am

I agree bro, it's actually a township managed deal in and around Columbus I've found out. The ODNR has even published a map in the past of areas they'd like bow hunters to try and get permission and harvest more urban deer.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:20 pm

i just got permission for a piece of land just outside the city limits that is loaded with deer. seen one giant this year, but he spends the majority of his time inside the city limits and just visits the does at night then heads back in the morning. he has been making scrapes and rubs all over the place in the last week. the last time i seen him up close i was walking the dog and caught him sneaking alone a little ditch line. he looks to be about 300 lbs and his tracks measure 6 inches. a true mature deer.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:32 pm

:shock: 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Ahh, deer in the city, one of my favorite topics! I hunted a 6-7 acre property in the city once, where a reportedly (by many) there was a "200 inch" buck making the chunk of land is home. I hunted him twice, with no luck. However, I did encounter 3 doe (that were in my lap) a nice 6 point, a spike, and a fox. That was a great morning that day.

Another instance I was hunting about 150 feet off the road near some railroad tracks, pretty close to downtown, in it looked like a circus. A couple of bucks, a heard of doe, and a coyote.

I try to hunt these small parcels when the conditions are right. The biggest challenge is being stealthy enough to get in and out without being seen. Note that the small lots are hunted on with permission.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 am

Looks like another buddy of steve esker got another 200 incher near the city...

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/2 ... =210#image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”