Hunting Pyramid Ridges

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SplitG2

Hunting Pyramid Ridges

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:21 am

I have 2 setups that I am trying this year on a farm that is heavily pressured during the month of November. They are spots I've always wondered about but never actually hunted them or had to hunt them but I do believe they would be golden. Both are very deep into a piece of private, entry won't be much of a problem other than the 2 brutal lung busting hills I have to climb but exit is gonna be a beast of a chore to say the least. Anyways there are some concerns about the setups tho.

Where these setups are located is what I call my pyramid ridge cause it looks like a pyramid. The ridgetop is a peak, no long drawn out ridgetop, just looks like a big ginormous pyramid from the bottom looking up. One slope faces SW and its big wide open big timber, deer can see a super long ways. The North facing slope(leeward side) is steep and bowl shaped with a couple benches towards the bottom 1/3 of the hill but is known bedding, very good bedding and very thick with blow downs and old tree tops from past logging years ago. The main points leading up to the ridgetop peak come from the WNW and the ENE. I have a set up on either side of the peak, about 60 yards down each of the 2 points which puts me about 50-60 feet below the very peak of the ridge. I figure these are the best spots for the setups because the points bench just ever so slightly for a short distance before dropping again.

My questions are......

1. The wind is predominantly from the West and SW, how does the wind tunnel work on ridges like these? Ridges that don't run any distance at all, just form a peak and then drop off steep on either side. Not too mention are bowl shaped on the leeward side

2. Should I forget the ever so slight bench on either side of the peak and just have one setup up more towards the peak instead of 2 setups? Both setups I believe will work great for W, S and SW but I could make them work for morning hunts only during the rut for cruising bucks in just about any wind due to the narrow ridgeline of the descending points

I'm sure this is confusing without a pic. I would post a topo of the area if I knew how to do so.

Hunt Hard or Go Home

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”