Bluffs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

Bluffs

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:49 am

Do you see more activity above or below bluffs? When I say "bluff", I'm talking above a sheer drop, as in 10-20' vertical rock. Would a buck prefer to be on top and watch over the edge of the bluff, or be below it and have his back to the wall? From what I've seen scouting and the couple of times I've hunted this particular area, it appears they prefer to be below the bluff, but I'm wondering if this is common or just happened that this particular "cliff" has the thermal tunnel at the right height. Curious to see what others' observations have been.

OZARKHUNTER88

Re: Bluffs

Unread postby OZARKHUNTER88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:10 am

Also interested in this. I have some bluffs similar to what you describe where I hunt in Oklahoma.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:42 am

Most of what I have seen have been just above the dropoff. However I will say that the bluffs I have hunted have been along the rivers to where the drop may be as much a 40-100' of elevation drop. I would think in situations like you are talking about, either above or below would be good. Whichever keeps them hidden while traveling the most would be where I would check first.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 am

I've found beds at both. I've jumped a group of deer down low during the summer. Temperature could've been a factor.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:32 am

I have noticed that they like to be close to quick access up or down.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:08 pm

both, I have this scenario on my land in sw Wisconsin in the bluffs. on this particular spot the bedding is above the drop off but there is also a trail below it angling up the hill. and there are trails above .
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:20 pm

I didn't see it first hand, but my dad witnessed a buck leaving his bed on the top edge of a rock bluff and dropping down over the edge one evening.....sounds consistent with what the others have noticed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”