MN Regs are out for 2017

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

MN Regs are out for 2017

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:01 am

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: MN Regs are out for 2017

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:40 am

It was nice to see that they did not eliminate southeast antler restrictions in SE MN this year due to CWD find.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:15 am

yea - it will be interesting to see if the testing shows if CWD has spread this fall. That could be dicey for the APR regs next year
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:07 am

Well after 9 years of no doe tags I finally have one area to pick up an extra doe for the freezer, my patience has paid off. :cry: :lol:
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 am

headgear wrote:Well after 9 years of no doe tags I finally have one area to pick up an extra doe for the freezer, my patience has paid off. :cry: :lol:

Nice! :dance:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 am

headgear wrote:Well after 9 years of no doe tags I finally have one area to pick up an extra doe for the freezer, my patience has paid off. :cry: :lol:

Have your numbers rebounded? Just curious if your area will be able to handle the extra pressure.

I'll actually be able to go after a doe without a crazy long drive this year. My last MN archery doe was '04 and that was back when I went to school in Canby. Quite a few deer in yellow medicine county back then not sure what it's like now.

The thing is these more westward doe zones aren't a good thing for this area. Herd is finally looking decent now they'll get knocked back to sub par again. I've noticed more yearling bucks than normal. Cutting tags the last couple years definitely helped.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:35 am

Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly.....I can shoot a doe with my a bonus tag(gun or bow depending on the season) in a zone that allows a two deer limit and still save my normal archery or gun tag for a Buck in a hunters choice zone?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:52 am

Lockdown wrote:Have your numbers rebounded? Just curious if your area will be able to handle the extra pressure.

I spend about half my time in north central mn and half in far northern mn near Canada. Anything way up north is still lotto or bucks only but the number are improving and I expect a pretty decent herd this year because of no do tags for a decade and a nice mild winter. At least a decent herd compared to single digit deer per square mile. One more mild winter and things will be good again but still a long ways from great. Central mn the numbers were always better because the winters just aren't as long and oaks seem to support a lot more wildlife than the pine and poplar of far northern mn. I can't say the numbers are great where I hunt in central mn but they are certainly up from the previous 4-5 years and light years better than up north so it is probably ok depending on the harvest and the winters.

It can be amazing to see the different in winters from way up north to central MN then again to southern mn. During a bad winter there will still be feet of snow on the ground and ice on the lakes into and past the fishing opener. Central mn has about a month less of winter, south central and southern mn can have 2 less months of winter. That is huge when it comes to herd numbers way up north, the mild/harsh winters control everything.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:52 am

NorthStar wrote:Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly.....I can shoot a doe with my a bonus tag(gun or bow depending on the season) in a zone that allows a two deer limit and still save my normal archery or gun tag for a Buck in a hunters choice zone?

That is correct, however if you are in a hunters choice zone using your tag on a doe also burns your buck tag so be careful there.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:04 am

10-4!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”