DNR Trapping Deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

DNR Trapping Deer?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:26 am

http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/art ... consin.txt

What do some of you think about this?

For those not in the know, Navarino is in the central part of the state. Used to be earn-a-buck now still a pile of doe tags available. A marsh area surrounded by farm fields....hardly an area were deer are NOT able to survive....some many long years.

Studying survival rates???? Winter isn't harsh in this area, nor are predators. Yotes can be thick in Navarino, a few black bear but they are not the norm and maybe a wolf passed thru a time or two.

My thoughts, why not do a survival study further north? Really get into some wicked winters (so far mild this year) and considerably more predators then have some concrete evidence what to do with the deer population in the north woods.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: DNR Trapping Deer?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:06 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/articles/2011/01/15/ap-state-wi/wi_deer_study_wisconsin.txt

What do some of you think about this?

For those not in the know, Navarino is in the central part of the state. Used to be earn-a-buck now still a pile of doe tags available. A marsh area surrounded by farm fields....hardly an area were deer are NOT able to survive....some many long years.

Studying survival rates???? Winter isn't harsh in this area, nor are predators. Yotes can be thick in Navarino, a few black bear but they are not the norm and maybe a wolf passed thru a time or two.

My thoughts, why not do a survival study further north? Really get into some wicked winters (so far mild this year) and considerably more predators then have some concrete evidence what to do with the deer population in the north woods.

I here ya Hodag, but they are doing a similar study in Winter WI, not sure where that is in relation to where you hunt, but I know it's in the north somewhere. I think they are trying to restore some credibility with these studies. Not sure if it'll work they have a lot of self inflicted damge to repair. :lol:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 am

I didn't know about the Winter area study. Good for the DNR then....they are doing a study in the Northwoods for deer.

I have no complaints now. The landowners around Navarino.....that's a differnt topic regarding their complaints. Talked to a landowner yesterday.....DNR has been in contact with them for a few weeks and meeting some opposition. :? :shock:

Can't see why, the DNR said don't worry we will put the deer back some what close and "they will find their way home." :lol:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:35 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Can't see why, the DNR said don't worry we will put the deer back some what close and "they will find their way home." :lol:

that cracks me up! :lol:
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:39 am

There is a true giant I know of in this area that I want to hunt next year. Hopefully, they don't trap him!
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:48 am

DropTyne wrote:There is a true giant I know of in this area that I want to hunt next year. Hopefully, they don't trap him!

Maybe they will let him go where I hunt if they get him! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”