**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:28 am

Was on the road this morning, 2 or 3 year old 8 chasing a doe pretty hard out in the open. Anyone know when the bobcat rut is, almost smacked one on a full sprint as it dashed across the highway from a swamp.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:34 am

Been still hunting the cedar swamp since daylight. I found some awesome deer travel routes and bumped a few deer when I moved a little too fast. Had a very close encounter with a doe that I posted about earlier when I jumped out of the swamp a bit into a pine plantation.

I’m now much deeper now and sitting on a ridge that’s completely surrounded by the cedar swamp/bog. Shot a few bucks here so I know this area well. Buck sign is really starting to increase here compared to the previous 5 years. Almost wrote this spot off but now excited to hunt here again.

Currently set up on the ground in a clump of pines watching the ridge. I tracked a large set of tracks here but they look old enough that I will never catch up to him before dark so figured I better plant my but for awhile. Hoping he cruises back this way before dark.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 am

Would not be surprised if you shoot one out of that hide Dewey!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 am

That’s some beautiful country right there dewey
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 am

Nothing for me the last few hours I sat. It was a fun day for rifle season. I covered some ground, seen a few deer and never seen another hunter or even a human track. 8-)
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 am

Had an absolute slob 8 pointer chase a doe around me. Every time he stopped his vitals were blocked, and it was too thick for a running shot. Just never felt confident enough to pull the trigger.

Ran off and he did the same thing to my dad. It was his lucky day. I must’ve used all mine up yesterday.

Just shows how much pressure I have in my area. Best rut activity of the year and it’s the third day of gun season. Got down at 2 and drove around to look at pressure and guys were posted all over the high ridges.

Nobody hunts the bottoms. Just weird
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:11 am

matt1336 wrote:Congrats Jonny Jeff and the rest of the killers.
Jonny, have you made the guys in your deer camp believers in the beast ways with those to deer?
I’ll be headed out to do some marsh drives as soon as I drop the kids off from school.

I don’t even mention the beast. Just nod my head and say yep I got lucky. Egos are through the roof up here since I have a family that loves to shoot 50lb fawns and act like they are something special. Wouldn’t ever listen to anything I say. The 2 I got out our total to 7 deer for the year. My buck is the only one 2.5 or older.

A lot of my family used to hunt the bottoms and did well for years, so it’s nothing new. Wouldn’t consider it a beast way, just have enough drive to sit all day every day until I shoot one. All day sits are the way to go for where I hunt, but nobody wants to do that. It sucks, but I was a branch away from a 3 deer gun season. And one going to the taxi.

My buddy I set up near me got down a half hour too early. If he stayed, he would’ve gotten his buck of a lifetime. Part of me understands his frustration, but part of me is ticked cause I put him in a great spot and it isn’t being hunted effectively. Both deer I shot yesterday were within range of him. I just got the first shot at them
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:40 am

Jonny wrote: Had an absolute slob 8 pointer chase a doe around me. Every time he stopped his vitals were blocked, and it was too thick for a running shot. Just never felt confident enough to pull the trigger.

Ran off and he did the same thing to my dad. It was his lucky day. I must’ve used all mine up yesterday.

Just shows how much pressure I have in my area. Best rut activity of the year and it’s the third day of gun season. Got down at 2 and drove around to look at pressure and guys were posted all over the high ridges.

Thought you killed a buck already?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:51 am

BigHunt wrote:
Jonny wrote: Had an absolute slob 8 pointer chase a doe around me. Every time he stopped his vitals were blocked, and it was too thick for a running shot. Just never felt confident enough to pull the trigger.

Thought you killed a buck already?

I did. Group hunting is legal as long as you are within voice range. I have my dad and buddy within voice range
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:03 pm

I shot a doe just before closing the other day. Waited as long as I could making sure nothing else coming.

Shooting seemed down in Sw wisconsin. Hard to say for sure. I heard more gun shots the Sunday before the gun opener.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Headed up north Wednesday night to hunt my parents 6 acre Cedar Swamp near Eagle River. I wish there were doe tags available, considering I'll probably see 50 does a day. However, in years past I've seen my best, and only bucks on camera at the end of Novemeber.

This weekend near Osseo I saw one doe opening morning. My buddy saw 0 deer. Not nearly enough pressure on the private to push deer into the nasty river bottom we hunted. Hardly any shooting, most people we talked to said the same.

We scouted a much better spot on Friday, but my buddy only owns a climber and there were no trees available for him. We kicked 9 does out of classic marsh bedding while scouting. One smelled like a whole bottle of code blue, actually smelled her before we saw any of the does bust out. Some people we know in the area reported seeing chasing on private land.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Back up drinking coffee and making breakfast. Another sit down in the river bottom. Sure makes it easy to do 4 all day sits in a row knowing the deer are in full rut mode :lol:

Might go do a quick push on a ridge for my dad. Found a couple beds on it last year that set up for a NW wind and jumped deer to him both times we did it last gun season. Actually pushed a doe to another hunter in a ground blind I walked by on my way out.

4 trucks and a tent there yesterday. Hoping for a little less than that otherwise we will keep on driving by.

2 more days left to go in my season
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:27 am

Good luck guys. The deer avoided us in the marsh yesterday. Trying again today. I didn’t get wet, so I guess yesterday was a good day.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:39 am

Jonny wrote:Back up drinking coffee and making breakfast. Another sit down in the river bottom. Sure makes it easy to do 4 all day sits in a row knowing the deer are in full rut mode :lol:

Might go do a quick push on a ridge for my dad. Found a couple beds on it last year that set up for a NW wind and jumped deer to him both times we did it last gun season. Actually pushed a doe to another hunter in a ground blind I walked by on my way out.

4 trucks and a tent there yesterday. Hoping for a little less than that otherwise we will keep on driving by.

Good luck. Congratulations on your earlier buck! Just got back from up north yesterday. We didn’t see a ton of deer or hunters for that matter. I got a decent 2.5 yrs old opening morning after my father in law missed him. Saw another decent buck for a split second but no shot. Still seeing fresh rut activity each day so the rut is definitely still going.

May try to go up after thanksgiving, but we’ll see.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:56 am

Net Guy wrote:
Jonny wrote:Back up drinking coffee and making breakfast. Another sit down in the river bottom. Sure makes it easy to do 4 all day sits in a row knowing the deer are in full rut mode :lol:

Good luck. Congratulations on your earlier buck! Just got back from up north yesterday. We didn’t see a ton of deer or hunters for that matter. I got a decent 2.5 yrs old opening morning after my father in law missed him. Saw another decent buck for a split second but no shot. Still seeing fresh rut activity each day so the rut is definitely still going.

May try to go up after thanksgiving, but we’ll see.

Thanks les!

I think the wind is going to keep me out of the stand today. No desire to be up 25’ in a 10” tree today.

Going to scout some areas with my dad. Big section of river bottom has had my attention for years. Brutal access but I know there is a god pocket of deer over there. Plus I have a weird feeling if I take a year of gun hunting off to go out west I might lose my spot. Will carry the gun just cause weird stuff happens to me, but not expecting much.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”