Crossing under highways via water?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cougar

Crossing under highways via water?

Unread postby cougar » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:51 pm

I hunt a lot of public that has a 6 lane highway bordering or running through it. Seeing many deer use it as a barrier for bedding against, which I learned here :shifty: My summer scouting has hinted that the deer are using small to medium sized streams (5 to 20 foot wide, 3 to 8 foot deep) to cross UNDER the highway. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon ? Hunted it? :think:

row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Crossing under highways via water?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:16 pm

I've seen evidence of it but havnt actually seen deer go under them. I saw a trail cam pic about 10 years ago someone had of a booner in the metro Detroit area going under a highway like your talking. It was right in a heavily populated area
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Never physically seen the deer but I've seen the sign that they do it. Actual tracks. It makes perfect sense, the spot I'm talking about by me, they can't even be seen by traffic where they cross, and they can do it during the day when traffic is heavy.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Sounds like a perfect pinch point funnel to me. I have seen this before as well.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Yes I have seen this also. The biggest buck I have seen in the last 10 years was just 20 yards off the side of a 4 lane interstate bedded down. I about flipped when I zoomed past him. I wanted to turn around for another look but there was no exit for 30 miles. :cry:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:37 pm

There was a place we used to hunt in CT where about a 6 or 8 ft ROUND CULVERT went under a major highway. There were routinely deer tracks heading INTO the CULVERT!!!

Amazing how smart they are.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:25 am

Rich M wrote:There was a place we used to hunt in CT where about a 6 or 8 ft ROUND CULVERT went under a major highway. There were routinely deer tracks heading INTO the CULVERT!!!

Amazing how smart they are.

I have wondered about the round culverts. I wonder how far they will travel through one. I have a few 200-500 feet long that I have been checking out for access.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:27 am

Stanley wrote:Yes I have seen this also. The biggest buck I have seen in the last 10 years was just 20 yards off the side of a 4 lane interstate bedded down. I about flipped when I zoomed past him. I wanted to turn around for another look but there was no exit for 30 miles. :cry:

This is great…. I was just wondering about this yesterday, I picked up permission on a 25 acre piece with about a 1/2 acre cattail marsh up against a parkway. I haven’t scouted it yet, but I can see a couple faint trails coming out on google earth :D
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:40 am

The biggest set of tracks I laid eyes on crossed under a highway over pass along a big creek. I hear it over and over big bucks being taken near highways. There is just less pressure
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:41 am

:shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh:

This is one of those overlooked terrain features but there aren't generally a lot of them so I would :shhh:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:49 am

Some areas of the country place tunnels under major highways specifically to allow wildlife to travel back and forth from one side to another to reduce highway kills and vehicle and people damage and the wildlife use it. I routinely saw deer swim from shore to islands on the Susquehanna river and back so if they aren't afraid of a river there is no reason they would be afraid of a stream going through a culvert. If I had a spot like that, I would hunt it.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:02 am

woodswalker wrote:Some areas of the country place tunnels under major highways specifically to allow wildlife to travel back and forth from one side to another to reduce highway kills and vehicle and people damage and the wildlife use it. I routinely saw deer swim from shore to islands on the Susquehanna river and back so if they aren't afraid of a river there is no reason they would be afraid of a stream going through a culvert. If I had a spot like that, I would hunt it.

I see those here, but I thought the were for the illegal aliens to safely cross
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:06 am

Yeah but you are allowed to set snares for them. :mrgreen:
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:51 am

I have found a great way to put culverts into the bag of tricks. Culverts are very important features when it comes to emergency management during a flooding event. As such, if you can locate your states 911 GIS system, you can select a culvert and bridge layer.......I found many more than I thought had existed. I feel like they can have a wardrobe effect (lion the witch and.....) you can go from a benign roadside through a tunnel and end up in the Narnia of deer bedding...I have an interstate near by and the edge bedding effect is predictable.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:52 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
woodswalker wrote:Some areas of the country place tunnels under major highways specifically to allow wildlife to travel back and forth from one side to another to reduce highway kills and vehicle and people damage and the wildlife use it. I routinely saw deer swim from shore to islands on the Susquehanna river and back so if they aren't afraid of a river there is no reason they would be afraid of a stream going through a culvert. If I had a spot like that, I would hunt it.

I see those here, but I thought the were for the illegal aliens to safely cross

That too.....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”