Mental checklist

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Mental checklist

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 am

UofLbowhunter and I have been really checking out a new public swamp. I think southernman is going in there with us too. We have cyber scouted this spot so much that I wanted to make a mental checklist to make sure we didn't get lost between what we expect and reality. He thought this might help some of the new guys out.

Things to consiser/keep in mind.

1. Pressure will have an effect on deer movement and bedding. Though we can anticipate where most of the pressure will probably be there are many unknowns, and conditions will change.
2. There may be places close to access that never gets hunted and could be phenomenal. Never overlook an easier spot.
3. Water levels will dictate how the deer use the property. Not only can that fluctuate year to year, but it can also change several times in a season. If keeping a journal always note water conditions as patterns may arise from water alone.
4. The property is large enough and has enough varied access to always hunt and access with the wind in mind.
5. There is a tremendous amount of water and slough ditches that don't show up on aerials due to tree cover. This means two things. Scouting should be conducted in all areas and always be prepared going into the swamp. It's a maze of slough ditches and most of it looks the same. Be careful and always have an emergency plan.
6. We have study this area a lot and have made assumptions and formulated game plans. When actually in the area hunting or scouting don't assume anything. Let the sign and your gut tell you where to go. There will be many places with subtle details you can only find with boots on the ground and these areas usually are the keys to big bucks.
7. It's hunting. Have fun and enjoy it.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Mental checklist

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:06 am

I like the list... I would make #7 my number one on the list.

No idea how big of a swamp you are talking about, but if you are playing with the big boys (huge swamp) you really have to know how to navigate and you need to take a compass. Electronic devices fail and the security will give you confidence.

sb
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:50 am

I really love posts like this...I can shoot all summer and be confident, I can have scouting and map study ready, have planned entry-stand-exit stratedgies ready, then one month prior to season I start 2nd guessing myself... :lol: :lol: .So, to me, the brain game is surely my weak spot. I need confidence in this area...I know the way to get it is by shooting a couple does if I need to. I've heard it said many times on this site that I have to build up my confidence w/some successes. The number one thing for me this year is to take my time, think before I divert from the plan, and mostly have fun and learn. :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Good post. I'm always amazed at how much places change from summer to fall so having a good feel for the area will help out.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:35 pm

I think sometimes people overthink things. This is my "checklist"

You do your pre-season scouting...trust it! You do your pre-season gear prep. Prepare with your weapon for every scenario.

Now you just need to hunt your game plan, and let the sign dictate any changes to your game plan. And remember to have fun while all this is happening!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 pm

Number 6 is a definite. Especially when dealing with pressure, dynamic conditions, etc. Good reminders.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:20 pm

I agree number 6 took me a long time to figure out. If your gut is telling you something go with it.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:46 pm

blizzardhunter wrote:I agree number 6 took me a long time to figure out. If your gut is telling you something go with it.

Unless it's to the fridge for more pizza. My gut has lied to me one to many times...it cannot be trusted.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
blizzardhunter wrote:I agree number 6 took me a long time to figure out. If your gut is telling you something go with it.

Unless it's to the fridge for more pizza. My gut has lied to me one to many times...it cannot be trusted.

Yeah sometimes it's hard to tell the difference if it's telling you a smart move. Or if you just got some trapped gas!!! ;) :lol:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”