How to stay cool opening weekend?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: How to stay cool opening weekend?

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Dewey wrote:If it's real warm and your hunting marshes it doesn't matter how light you dress because you will likely be a sweaty mess before you even get set up. Just gotta tough it out and keep pushing on. I bring plenty of water to stay hydrated and a Thermacell to battle the always present skeeters.

I like to wear very thin loose fitting clothing. Under Armour Heat Gear breathable top with Predator Adrenaline pants. These are so thin it almost feels like your wearing nothing and slightest breeze blows right thru to keep you cool. Best part is they never feel wet as they dry almost immediately.

I get a kick out of some people who try to be scent free in hot weather hunting marshes and swamps.....it's just not possible. :lol:

The last 3 days have been brutally hot and muggy for mid-September. One thing that really helped me was a Camelbak hydration bladder filled with ice cubes and topped off with water. That way I had ice cold water all day as it melted. Also held the hose over my head and took a short ice shower when I started to really overheat while pushing thru the marsh. Really refreshed me a few times. On stand I put it in a drawstring backpack and throw it on my back while hunting in my saddle. The ice cold bladder on my back serves two purposes, easy to drink water with the bite valve draped over my shoulder and the ice cold bladder feels really nice on my back. Free redneck air conditioning. :lol:

I also joined the jungle boot crowd. Rubber boots have been overwhelmingly hot. Today I wore ankle high boots in knee deep water and it was very refreshing as the water was actually pretty cool but then my boots were full of water all day. Figured I need some boots that drain for hot weather. Went home and ordered some jungle boots right away. They should work well.

Ordered these. Free shipping included Next Day Air. 8-)
https://uspatriottactical.com/under-arm ... -closeout/

Edit: Reading back I see DK had the same exact idea I had with ice cubes in the water bladder all the way down to the ice shower part. :o Great minds think alike. 8-)

You came over to the dark side :lol:

I think the jungle boots keep a guy way cooler compared to the rubber steam saunas on your feet.

Finally got him convinced :clap:

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:21 am

It is impossible for me to keep from sweating when its hot out. I always take an extra shirt, and sometimes an extra pair of socks, depending on how far I have to walk. I try to wear light merino wool, or heat gear type clothing. The best thing for me has been giving myself time to go slow, so that I am not working as hard on my way in.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:54 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Dewey wrote:If it's real warm and your hunting marshes it doesn't matter how light you dress because you will likely be a sweaty mess before you even get set up. Just gotta tough it out and keep pushing on. I bring plenty of water to stay hydrated and a Thermacell to battle the always present skeeters.

I like to wear very thin loose fitting clothing. Under Armour Heat Gear breathable top with Predator Adrenaline pants. These are so thin it almost feels like your wearing nothing and slightest breeze blows right thru to keep you cool. Best part is they never feel wet as they dry almost immediately.

I get a kick out of some people who try to be scent free in hot weather hunting marshes and swamps.....it's just not possible. :lol:

The last 3 days have been brutally hot and muggy for mid-September. One thing that really helped me was a Camelbak hydration bladder filled with ice cubes and topped off with water. That way I had ice cold water all day as it melted. Also held the hose over my head and took a short ice shower when I started to really overheat while pushing thru the marsh. Really refreshed me a few times. On stand I put it in a drawstring backpack and throw it on my back while hunting in my saddle. The ice cold bladder on my back serves two purposes, easy to drink water with the bite valve draped over my shoulder and the ice cold bladder feels really nice on my back. Free redneck air conditioning. :lol:

I also joined the jungle boot crowd. Rubber boots have been overwhelmingly hot. Today I wore ankle high boots in knee deep water and it was very refreshing as the water was actually pretty cool but then my boots were full of water all day. Figured I need some boots that drain for hot weather. Went home and ordered some jungle boots right away. They should work well.

Edit: Reading back I see DK had the same exact idea I had with ice cubes in the water bladder all the way down to the ice shower part. :o Great minds think alike. 8-)

I think the jungle boots keep a guy way cooler compared to the rubber steam saunas on your feet.

Ordered them yesterday and today they were at my door. :o

Can’t believe how light they are. Gonna be like I’m walking barefoot. They will be put to the test this weekend. 8-)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:18 am

Nice Dewey. That's fast delivery. Impressive.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Meanwhile, down south, we are praying for a cold front to push daytime highs into the upper 80s. It is not uncommon at all for it to be 95-100 degrees on opening day here in TX.
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:01 am

Wear 80-100% Merino wool socks and your all’s feet will stay dry. You think they would be hot because they are big and bulky but there are not they just do an amazing job at wicking sweat. I work in construction and I wear them everyday especially in the summer
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Meanwhile, down south, we are praying for a cold front to push daytime highs into the upper 80s. It is not uncommon at all for it to be 95-100 degrees on opening day here in TX.

We are big babies up here when we have a 85 degree day during early season :lol:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:42 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Meanwhile, down south, we are praying for a cold front to push daytime highs into the upper 80s. It is not uncommon at all for it to be 95-100 degrees on opening day here in TX.

We are big babies up here when we have a 85 degree day during early season :lol:

As we are with extreme cold temps :)
Spauldo42
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steven.spaulding.42

Unread postby Spauldo42 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:31 am

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Ordered them yesterday and today they were at my door. :o

Can’t believe how light they are. Gonna be like I’m walking barefoot. They will be put to the test this weekend. 8-)

I wore the old school Vietnam jungle boots in my days in the military and loved them. After narrowly avoiding heat exhaustion opening day, I thought of doing this. Good to see a ‘crowd’ that thought the same. Thoughts on scent left on the ground?
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:40 am

Hydration is key for me during the hot part of the early season... Dont be the guy that chugs a bottle of water while driving to your spot thinking they should be good to go that day. Cuz that is a No-Go if you are already heat sensitive. Staying properly hydrated should be a 24/7 thing during the warm part of the season. Knock out pop and beer and replace with water and fruit juice. I even sip on pickle juice on the day of the hunt to crank up the electrolytes in my bloodstream. Also helps with hangovers FYI.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Spauldo42

Unread postby Spauldo42 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:45 am

Perhaps the key is water entry and exit in the swamp if not in rubber boots. Minimal firm ground time. Lightweight canoe. Iterations will teach. Any further thoughts appreciated.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:30 am

<DK> wrote:Also w the water bladder, fill it to the top w ice first then cold water. Makes for ice cold drinks most of the day. The best part is open the spicket and drip the cold water on your head makes for a fast cool down.

PS - they sell tactical water bladders that are small, .5 liter. I havent purchased one yet bc they are $50 or more.

I just wanted to add to my original post - ice cubes will make a slosh sound at a certain point. I do this for scouting and have done it early season. At this point for hunting beds iv resorted to just filling w cold water, leave in the fridge over night, keep it in a cooler until i arrive. Certain bladders you can fit a freezer pack in the pouch. Iv also considered trying plastic ice cubes instead.

Either way hands down best way iv found to stay cool.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:47 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:It is impossible for me to keep from sweating when its hot out. I always take an extra shirt, and sometimes an extra pair of socks, depending on how far I have to walk. I try to wear light merino wool, or heat gear type clothing. The best thing for me has been giving myself time to go slow, so that I am not working as hard on my way in.

Bit of an old quote, but I’ve been trying to find shady spots and just take little breaks. Now, it’s only been about 80 here, but the humidity has been really high for this time of year. So it’s take my time, find the shade (which also helps in staying hidden) and move on. Still going to be soaked, just deal with it. (had to empty the boots and wring the socks three times yesterday)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Spauldo42

Unread postby Spauldo42 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:29 am

<DK> wrote:
<DK> wrote:Also w the water bladder, fill it to the top w ice first then cold water. Makes for ice cold drinks most of the day. The best part is open the spicket and drip the cold water on your head makes for a fast cool down.

PS - they sell tactical water bladders that are small, .5 liter. I havent purchased one yet bc they are $50 or more.

I just wanted to add to my original post - ice cubes will make a slosh sound at a certain point. I do this for scouting and have done it early season. At this point for hunting beds iv resorted to just filling w cold water, leave in the fridge over night, keep it in a cooler until i arrive. Certain bladders you can fit a freezer pack in the pouch. Iv also considered trying plastic ice cubes instead.

Either way hands down best way iv found to stay cool.

Bladders have always leaked on me at the worst times. Nalgenes in insulated cozies are how I do this. Hot or cold.
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:58 am

I think about winter and how nice it would be if it was -20 degrees out.

And then in winter I think about how nice it would be if it was summer and 85.

I guess I just can’t win. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”