The Wind Tunnel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SplitG2

The Wind Tunnel

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 pm

There are days in which temps rise quick and there are days where the temps rise extremely slow or not rise anymore than 1-2 degrees in a morning. My question is, on days where there is very little wind but the temps are rising fast does the wind tunnel still occur? Same for the opposite scenario, 15-20mph winds but temps rising extremely slow or not much at all?

I would think that if the wind tunnel still occurs in both of those scenario's that the heigth in which the wind tunnel occurs on the leeward side of the hill would change? If so, would it change enough to make the bed hunt that morning a no-go? Also, I would guess, not that it would never have an effect on a mature deer but I would guess when there is very little wind or extremely slow morning thermals that the wind tunnel loses it's effectiveness or maybe you could say becomes less trustworthy for a mature buck to use and in return force him to bed possibly in a different location?

Is there a happy medium with the wind tunnel

Hunt Hard or Go Home
SplitG2

Re: The Wind Tunnel

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:26 pm

I apologize for the repost of this thread but my computer kept telling me the connection timed out and I was unaware that it was posting the thread each time. My apologies. Mods feel free to delete the others
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:41 pm

This can be tricky and I've found not a consistent answer, mix in cloud cover with sun briefly coming out ever so often and it could make or brake a hunt. I drop a lot of milkweed and if it looks squirley I cut bait and move along. For it to be a first time sit in a good kill spot I wait until perfect conditions that are steady if not the unknown just kinda puts me in a negative state of mind and I don't like that. When it's my better stands I go in knowing it's the right time, right conditions, got the surprise factor and today is the day. Does it always happen, well no but I stacked the deck to the best of my ability.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:08 am

When higher winds occur thats when things can get dicey. Swirling, blow back, vaccum effects, etc... Thermals are always around but under those conditions the wind more dominant vs variable low winds the thermals are dominant. There is a happy median, though im sure of it and it can change ridge to ridge. I like to think somwhere in the 7-12mph range would be it. Mainly bc im going to feel more confident that buck is there under those wind mph. Im trying to be more aware of weather bedding, but if the wind is high mph and cold then I plan to hunt more clear cut bedding or bottoms. Somehwere he has good protective back cover to break that cold wind on him.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 am

You don't need any thermals at all for a wind tunnel if there is a good amount of wind.

Light wind and strong thermals you will still have the area where they meet where the wind will be inconsistent, giving the deer the same security.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”