Hunting bedding winds.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Hunting bedding winds.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:46 pm

How do you guys go about selecting spots? Obviously I'm not going hunt each bedding spot in a year. Only the best ones.

Let's say a 500 acre partial that contains.

6 west slope bedding areas.
5 South slope bedding areas
2 east and 2 North.

Would it be better to wait and hunt the 2 North bedding areas on a South Wind?
Since that specific area lacks good bedding on South winds?

Or do you guys bump several bedding areas and hunt the remaining 1-2 bedding areas?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Hunting bedding winds.

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:56 pm

My main goal on a select property is (based on the reading sign correctly while scouting) -
*Which bed holds the biggest bucks?
*Can I hunt them both morning and evenings cleanly?
*What month is best to hunt them? (is it worth alerting him early season)
*Where are the does favorite beds?
*Confirmation - pics, tracks or observation.
*Set Locations per month - I like to save one spot for the week or 2 leading up to gun season (Every state/rut is different) Between the best buck bedding, the best doe bedding and the best scent control location for all day sits.

Which ones get burned to access the others. Sometimes hunting from the outside in isnt a bad idea - "Stage Hunting". Then which ones have multiple wind shift options bc thats more optons to access & attack (some days may be more favorable). From there dominant winds per month would have to factor in, N winds will be for alot of cold fronts too.

I used to consider which beds on which winds and how many sits ect... The season flies by and trusting your gut is very improtant. Being there when the timing is right and the wind is correct can be tough to accomplish. There are spots I havent got to hunt yet bc those factors just didnt line up or something else came up or went somewhere else that day instead or never got the right wind on a day off. Iv found half of my successful outings are from off season scouting the other half are observing and making the right adjustment.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:31 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:My main goal on a select property is (based on the reading sign correctly while scouting) -
*Which bed holds the biggest bucks?
*Can I hunt them both morning and evenings cleanly?
*What month is best to hunt them? (is it worth alerting him early season)
*Where are the does favorite beds?
*Confirmation - pics, tracks or observation.
*Set Locations per month - I like to save one spot for the week or 2 leading up to gun season (Every state/rut is different) Between the best buck bedding, the best doe bedding and the best scent control location for all day sits.

Which ones get burned to access the others. Sometimes hunting from the outside in isnt a bad idea - "Stage Hunting". Then which ones have multiple wind shift options bc thats more optons to access & attack (some days may be more favorable). From there dominant winds per month would have to factor in, N winds will be for alot of cold fronts too.

I used to consider which beds on which winds and how many sits ect... The season flies by and trusting your gut is very improtant. Being there when the timing is right and the wind is correct can be tough to accomplish. There are spots I havent got to hunt yet bc those factors just didnt line up or something else came up or went somewhere else that day instead or never got the right wind on a day off. Iv found half of my successful outings are from off season scouting the other half are observing and making the right adjustment.

Great information thanks.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Most of my bedding areas are on different pieces of property. So stacking an areas really isn't possible.

As mentioned, there are many possible factors that could help you choose. Most of my areas a new this season, so I have no historical data to fall back onto. I'm planning on just hitting the best stuff early, when the right wind work out. Anything with any adjacent oaks. Then work my way down the list unless fresh sign dictates something different. And what my gut is telling me.

I wish there was some kind of perfect formula, to make the decisions easy. But there isn't. I'm guessing after a few years of hunting this style, I'll have a better idea what areas are better what time of the year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”