Marsh Oaks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Marsh Oaks

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:20 am

I have attached an Aerial with some markings below to help with my questions but last year was my first time hunting this spot and I never saw a deer. I really like the spot because the cover goes out on a point into the marsh. There are about 6 mature white oaks that are about 75 yards from the end of the point(potential bedding but not positive) In between the end of the point and the oaks is some really thick and nasty cover with a deer trailer running right through the middle of it.

I was really excited about hunting this spot last year early season because I got a Southwest wind early that morning and the wind changed to directly out of the South in the afternoon. Last year the bean field was corn and my thought was that deer would have come from the corn with the wind in their face while going back to bed and once the wind changed to a South, I would be able to move into the Oaks without getting busted. But as soon as I got into the tree, I realized very quickly that there were no acorns due to a late freeze.

Fast forward to this year, the acorn crop looks really promising and I am thinking about going back in before duck hunting starts. My question is, were deer not bedding on this point last year because there were no acorns in the oak staging area? Would you go back in seeing that the acorn crop looks promising this year? What about the food plot changing from corn to beans? My plan is to start shining this bean field to take inventory but I was hoping to get some Beast insight on this one.

Thanks!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Marsh Oaks

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:00 am

I looked at your photo and something sticks out to me. That looks like an area they could bed all year long, but it is attached to the mainland. If it was an island, it would be better (more secure).

You mentioned that there is a deer trail heading from the bedding directly to the oaks.

What sticks out to me is that there is 2 trails wrapping around the oaks that stay out in the marsh/catails.

I have seen and hunted many set ups like this. Most of the big stuff I see does not take the direct path to the mainland. They stay in the thick cattails as long as they can. They may be doing this and taking a direct route to the crop fields. Get as close to that bed and see how they exit. If your in the bed, my guess is you can see 2 exit trails from it. he will choose one, so your gonna have to set up on one, and hope he does not go the other way. observation stand may help determine before you hunt it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:17 am

There looks to be small clump islands of trees or brush to the NW & SE of your oak circle off the mainland. These look like possible bedding spots also. Might be worth a check.

Also if, there is bedding on that point I would expect them to be bedded there on a NE wind. Not a SW. From what Dan has said they like the wind blowing down the point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:25 am

I think they will bed near that tip on any wind,. and possibly at any time of year. However, quite possible they are staying in the cattails to navigate when there are no acorns. I would recommend throwing a hunt at it right away around the opener if acorns are present.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:39 am

Looks like a good spot. Love the comments from Jeff and Dan noting the trails on the edges that may be more likely to be used by bigger bucks. I'll certainly defer to Dan, but my experience has been that I have much more success seeing deer when the wind is close to in their favor. They may be bedded there on any winds, but would they be more likely to come out early enough on a favorable wind? I'd probably be targeting just off winds. Hunt the southern edge on a N/NW wind to hopefully take my scent away from the bed and the north edge on a SE wind, same idea.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:26 am

Thanks so much for the feedback! I will definitely give this a shot and update the group if something happens here. Maybe I can get into a tree that gives me a shot at the acorns and the marsh?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Looks like an awesome spot, let us know how it pans out this fall!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Looks like an awesome spot, let us know how it pans out this fall!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”