Drone Usage?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Drone Usage?

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Some states have banned them for assisting a hunt but I am pretty sure thier use will become mainstream. Just like 4-5 years ago everyone was against cell cameras and now it seems like a majority are Ok with them. Give drones another 5 years to sink in.

The blood of those who resist shall grease the almighty wheels of progress, and that probably includes me :? :lol:

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Dewey wrote:
IkemanTx wrote:
tgreeno wrote:OK...to start off, I'm an admitted "old school" hunter.

Drones...NO! If you "young guys" are too soft to bust your but back into the thick stuff yourself. Then you don't deserve to know what's back there! Everyone's looking for a shortcut. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. As said earlier...cheaters are always gonna cheat. What happened to enjoy the journey? And putting in the work?

End of my old school opinion

Using a drone for mapping in the offseason isn't any less ethical than using google earth... just more recent imagery. The same could be said about any aerial imagery, or topo maps for that matter.

How many guys ONLY learn a place with boots on the ground nowadays?

I think referring to the original poster who asked about using a drone to see if a buck is in his bed and then go hunt it.

Gotcha. I agree in-season use is ethically touchy at best. I can see using one to map a location the day you arrive for an out is state hunt, and not being able to hunt 24-48 hours because of it. But then, having an up to date aerial map of the area. However, I think ANY drone flight should preclude you from legally hunting during the same day.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:53 pm

All the public in my state has banned the use of drones. I believe p&y did as well. You can't book a drone assisted kill.
One more thing to pollute the imagination and keep the man over your shoulder. Suckers!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Bigburner wrote:All the public in my state has banned the use of drones. I believe p&y did as well. You can't book a drone assisted kill.
One more thing to pollute the imagination and keep the man over your shoulder. Suckers!

Banned in hunting related activities, or banned as in you can't fly a drone on public land any time of the year?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Can not fly them period.
Montani Semper Liberi
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Bigburner wrote:Can not fly them period.

That seems like a bit overkill to me, although I'm sure the reason isn't hunting related.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Respecting people's privacy and sanctuary on public land isn't overkill. Say you are hiking with your family on state forest property and someone that you can't see is following you with drone. Not something a reasonable person would be digging on. Agree?
Montani Semper Liberi
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:35 pm

I would think if you are out hunting and one is buzzing around you or watching you that may fall under the hunter harrassment law. :think:
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Or fall from the sky! :D
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:14 pm

I don't see much of a place for drones during hunting season, with the exception of trying to locate a dead deer in high grass, cattails, or similar cover. I think there are benefits to their use in this capacity. Prior to season, I have no issue with using them on private property you own or have access to.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:04 am

Bigburner wrote:Respecting people's privacy and sanctuary on public land isn't overkill. Say you are hiking with your family on state forest property and someone that you can't see is following you with drone. Not something a reasonable person would be digging on. Agree?

Yeah I agree, but then again public land is public land. Somebody can follow me on a hike for miles and there isn't a thing I can do about it. Or follow me out from my truck and set-up 60 yards from me. And yes both have happened to me multiple times, nothing illegal about it. I go out in the summer to practice with my stand and every time I have people come over and ask me what I am doing, or give me an earful saying a bunch of crazy stuff that doesn't need to go into detail. I go on public land because its available to me. Private land isn't. I never expect to be alone or have a sanctuary. That's why its called public land. If I want to be alone on public, I will go somewhere where 98% of hunters won't, and somewhere a drone operator would never want to send their drone.

Yes if one is buzzing around me during a hunt, then I would call it hunter harassment. But given that there is a limited battery life, and most of us hunt pretty thick stuff, think somebody is actually going to risk losing a $500 drone trying to find us, and get below the tree canopy to watch our hunt?
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:09 am

I understand the devils advocate prospective but the restriction are also put in place for hunting purposes as well so to address one of your assumption it was a consideration on state forests and wma's. But respectively I don't like them will never like them and based on my perspectives, beliefs, chosen profession it's going down the wrong path in many ways. And when it's for hunting purposes it really rubs a raw nerve. I think it has applications scientifically and I can see the benifits. But I've been in scenarios where people's safety was put in jeopardy when some smuck decided he wanted to shut down restricted air space on a wildfire and shut down aircraft operations for hours while dudes are screaming for retardant drops and water. Granted worst case scenerio but your dealing with common sense and most people have none. Keep nature natural that's what it comes down for me.
Montani Semper Liberi
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 am

Wapiti wrote:I don't see much of a place for drones during hunting season, with the exception of trying to locate a dead deer in high grass, cattails, or similar cover. I think there are benefits to their use in this capacity. Prior to season, I have no issue with using them on private property you own or have access to.

I agree this would be a useful application for them and I don't think anyone would be upset if using them for this purpose increased recovery rate. I know its about shot placement but we've all had a situation go bad on us. I also agree that they would disrupt the peace on public land. I understand its public but while hiking in UT this summer there was a small group of people flying a drone in the area and that buzzing sure was a distraction from the natural beauty surrounding me. Also just because an area is public doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. You can't smoke in restaurants and you're not supposed to litter on public lands, etc. Sure people break these rules but common ground needs to be found so everyone can enjoy the lands. I also agree with JoeRE that in 5-10 years like it or not they will likely be commonplace especially when prices come down.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:47 am

In 5 to 10 years as abuses pile up there just may be more restrictions than there are now. In PA it is unlawful to flay a drone for any reason while on State Game lands, period. Initially, the law prohibited them from being flown over or from state game lands but it was latter changed because the attorneys decided the Game Commission cannot control the air space. I suspect if people start flying them over game lands while being off of game lands, the hunters will solve the problem.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:
Wapiti wrote:I don't see much of a place for drones during hunting season, with the exception of trying to locate a dead deer in high grass, cattails, or similar cover. I think there are benefits to their use in this capacity. Prior to season, I have no issue with using them on private property you own or have access to.

I agree this would be a useful application for them and I don't think anyone would be upset if using them for this purpose increased recovery rate. I know its about shot placement but we've all had a situation go bad on us. I also agree that they would disrupt the peace on public land. I understand its public but while hiking in UT this summer there was a small group of people flying a drone in the area and that buzzing sure was a distraction from the natural beauty surrounding me. Also just because an area is public doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. You can't smoke in restaurants and you're not supposed to litter on public lands, etc. Sure people break these rules but common ground needs to be found so everyone can enjoy the lands. I also agree with JoeRE that in 5-10 years like it or not they will likely be commonplace especially when prices come down.

Does dancing in my whitie tighties with AC/DC blaring disturb the peace....? Because I'm pretty sure that's legal on most public. :lol:

The "disturb the peace" aspect doesn't fly. (Pun intended) The road and aviation noise on most of the public I hunt would drown out drone noise rather quickly.

I don't plan on being close to anyone else while I'm flying one anyways. If it is close to the road, or parking lot... the intel isn't that hard to get. If I have kayaked back 3 miles into a hard to reach spot to map 20-25 acres of floodplane, I might just "risk it" on state/local ordinance. You break some law all the time in the woods too... don't tell me you never peed or had to take a deuce. If so, you have technically committed public urination, public defecation, and indecent exposure..... it is in "public" technically.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”