Upgrading arrows...Help me choose

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Re: Upgrading arrows...Help me choose

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:30 am

I like the black eagle Carnivores as well. good price, straight arrow, been pretty tough so far.

If you are concerned about penetration, and want a good read, look up the Dr. Ashby reports. He goes heavy and a 2 blade single bevel. Uses the analogy of getting hit by a fast ping pong ball vs a slow moving bowling ball. His info. basically comes down to making a structurally sound arrow setup, with a trajectory you can live with. His theory is to prepare for the worst. most of our setups should blow thru for a double lunger, but how often do you try a heart shot, or the deer moves and you get a shoulder,ect..... If you follow his setups, you should still blow thru anything presented. When I started experimenting with different tip weights, my bow, which I thought was quiet, became totally quiet, all you heard was the arrow hitting the target. There are pros/cons, but for me it was all cons except some speed loss. Now to just find a deer that will co-operate. :mrgreen:

Its all up to you and what you want to experiment with.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:38 am

I shoot the Easton axis with slick tricks like you mentioned. Hitting soft tissue should blow right through. I've been through one shoulder no problem but if you are high through both shoulders you may not get a complete pass through. That's been my experience. My next batch of arrows I may go with a stiffer arrow and more weight up front for the what ifs but it's still a pretty good set up.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:17 am

I shoot Easton Full Metal Jackets. They are carbon wrapped in aluminum and very hard hitting with good penetration. The only issue is that they can bend but not easily.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:18 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:I am running low on my current arrows (Beman ICS Hunters). I am looking into getting new arrows and I am having a hard time sorting through all the advertisements with this arrow hits harder, this one drifts less, this one is built like a brick, etc. So I'm hoping some fellow beast members can share some opinions and what they have liked/disliked with current and past arrows. The reason for me switching is I feel I'm not getting the penetration that I would like with my setup (28in draw/68#) so I'm wanting something heavier and smaller diameter. I want the arrow to be accurate, durable, deep penetrating and reasonably fast (although I realize with weight this will be affected). I will also be switching from mechanical to fixed blades (Slick Trick) this year for increased penetration. Some questions I have are does the micro diameter arrows make a big difference in penetration? Are the micro diameter arrows that have outserts (Bloodsport, Victory) more difficult to shoot with fixed blades? Are the deep six arrows by Easton worth it with the lack of broadhead selection and I've read that these arrows or broadheads are weak by the insert and break easily. These are some of the things I have read and have no experience with. Some of the arrows I'm considering are: Easton FMJ injexion, Easton 5mm FMJ, Easton Axis, Bloodsport Evidence micro diameter, Victory VAP, Carbon Express Maxima Red SD, Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum or Black Eagle Deep impact. I haven't found anything on these topics in old forums so I'm hoping you guys can help me pick a winning combo.

https://deercrossingarchery.com/

I've shot, gold tips, carbon Xpress, Bemans, Eastons... Deer crossing ECO Hunters beat them all IMO and they're cheaper. They group just as well as my competition Black Eagle PS23 arrows too.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:01 pm

I have been shootings the 5mm fmjs, 340s with 125 grain fixed blade quad ezodus heads . 28 draw, 69lbs.

Fly great for me..Lots of good choices I suppose. I am impressed with the ezodus heads for sure.

Regards
Chad
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Lastcast#1 wrote:I have been shootings the 5mm fmjs, 340s with 125 grain fixed blade quad ezodus heads . 28 draw, 69lbs.

Fly great for me..Lots of good choices I suppose. I am impressed with the ezodus heads for sure.

Regards
Chad

Nice!! :handgestures-thumbupright:
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Quad Exodus .
Darkknight54 wrote:
Lastcast#1 wrote:I have been shootings the 5mm fmjs, 340s with 125 grain fixed blade quad ezodus heads . 28 draw, 69lbs.

Regards
Chad

Quad Exodus. Must of lost the X on the keyboard.. :lol:
Carry on...
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:02 am

I switched to 5mm FMJ. I absolutely love them. Fly great, no problems with wind, and they penetrate extremely well.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:06 am

I switched to 5mm FMJ. I absolutely love them. Fly great, no problems with wind, and they penetrate extremely well.
I tried black eagle arrows last year and the flew terrible. I was really expecting them to be great but ended up disappointed. Gave them to a buddy and bought the FMJ.
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 am

I'm shooting FMJ's and they are good and highly recommended here and AT. A lot of all carbon guys are shooting Eason Axis but I guess they'll upgrade to the injexion
Im toying with the idea of going carbon myself.. 271/2 draw at 62lbs I could use a flatter trajectory.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:41 am

Lastcast#1 wrote:Quad Exodus .
Darkknight54 wrote:

Regards
Chad

Carry on...

The QAD Exodus intrigue me because they look tough and are available in Deep six also. Have you had any issues with tuning or breaking arrows on impact. Watched some videos where this happened but overall I've heard great things about them and Slick Tricks
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Whitetailaddict wrote:
Lastcast#1 wrote:Quad Exodus .
Darkknight54 wrote:

Regards
Chad

Carry on...

The QAD Exodus intrigue me because they look tough and are available in Deep six also. Have you had any issues with tuning or breaking arrows on impact. Watched some videos where this happened but overall I've heard great things about them and Slick Tricks

I have only killed 3 deer with them,but I have had zero issues with tuning or arrows breaking upon impact.
I shoot the " swept" version of the fixed head. Damage has been impressive, Made in the USA.

Chad
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:57 pm

I've found that the maxima reds are great flying arrows with broadheads for me. I've shot 8 or 10 deer with those and a slick tricks mag and got a pass thru on each one. I can't remember what arrow I was using before that, but I know I shot 3 bucks in 2014 and didn't get a pass thru with any of them. Made for tough blood trails but I did recover each buck pretty easy.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:21 pm

I just bought black eagle carnivores. $50 for six and free shipping from amazon for a .001 straightness arrow prefletched. Pretty good buy! I shoot 60 lbs so I bought the 350 spine and added the 42g brass insert. Finished arrow weight is 385g. Will glue inserts in tomorrow and see how they do. I liked them because they are a light gpi arrow which will allow me to add a heavier insert for higher FOC and not get me in the 420 - 440g finished weight. Not that I care about speed, but I wanted higher FOC and that is hard to do with a high gpi arrow. I like weight in my arrows, just want it in the right place.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”