Funny Hunting Stories

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fireforeffect

Funny Hunting Stories

Unread postby fireforeffect » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:03 am

I love to hear funny stories from the field. Do you have any? I'll start....

I was given permission to hunt a new property about ten years ago. It hadn't been hunted for years and the deer were overpopulated and unaccustomed to hunters. It has since become my best property, but back then I really didn't know it well at all. In those days it had a 40 acre pasture that was completely surrounded by thick mature pine forest and autumn olive. The autumn olive has now taken over that pasture, but I digress...

So the first day of Muzzle loader rolls around and I invite my brother to come with me and hunt this new property. It's early November and the rut is full blown. We ease up toward that field together, with the intention of skirting the edge to get to our planned hunting locations. It is not light enough to see more than about 30 yards, think grey light. As soon as we get to the corner of the field we can hear deer walking in the stick weeds. It's frosty and footsteps are easy to hear. We freeze up and wait for enough daylight to see what's going on. With each passing minute we get about 10 more yards of visibility. We thought this field was like 300 yards long and the low light conditions paired with a bit of morning fog didn't offer enough visibility to realize that it was really only about half that length. Sure enough we can start to make out deer. There was a hot doe in the field and we could just make out a couple of young bucks dogging her. One of them was a decent basket rack. By this time its well past legal shooting light, but still tricky to see due to the fog. I raise my gun and aim right at the top of its shoulder thinking it was 200 or so yards away. BOOM! The deer just stands there. My brother aims and fires, BOOM! He did the same thing I did, aimed too high. The buck trots into the woods. As it heads into the woods a little fork horn pops out a little further down the field from him. My brother and I are reloading and wondering how the heck we both missed that deer. I look up and the fork horn freezes, looking the other way. That's when big boy comes up over a little knoll in the field. Its a BIG buck. He and the fork horn are faced off and standing about five yards apart. I get reloaded first, and my brother is like SHOOT HIM! I raise the old smoke pole and and set the cross hairs right on his back. Pull the trigger and the deer hits the ground! My brother says............. You shot the wrong one! Big boy wheels around and heads back over the knoll. :doh: Just then, the basket rack eight runs back across the field right in front of us. My brother shoots and misses again! The field clears of deer and smoke is hovering over it like a civil war battle had just been fought there lol. We both just sit down and laugh our a55es off. As it gets a bit brighter we realize that we could have held right on the deer and hit them. The shots were really only about 100 yards. We were shooting over their backs. We walk over and find my fork horn. I had hit right where I aimed and got him in the spine. That morning was an epic fail on both our parts, but we still count it as one of our most memorable hunts. There were numerous factors that led to our terrible performance that morning. We weren't familiar with the property, the low light and fog was playing tricks on our depth perception, and the scene unfolding in front of us had our adrenaline pumping.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Funny Hunting Stories

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 am

I've got more than my fare share of funny stories in the field most of which will go with me to the grave. However there is one that still gets me chuckling around opening day, that I will share. 2 seasons ago I woke to excitement of opening morning I rushed out into the woods ready to kick of the season. I reached my tree a good hour before daylight. Climbed on up, settled afew things then start bringing up my pull rope, I was pulling and pulling and pulling when I noticed I already have 100 ft of paracord coiled at my feet it began to look suspicious. All and all think I spent atleast 45 min pulling up in the dark b4 my bow arrived. I had a massive pile of cord tangled on every in the tree. I had sole permission to this property so just want to know what would lead a man to stumble upon my stand and decide he is gonna go buy a whole spool of cord and splice into my haul line and neatly coil it up under the leaves. Well sir u got me nicely played!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:35 am

In 2015 I tagged out so I brought a buddy to one of my best spots and told him I had a few good bucks on cam in daylight the past week so he might get a pretty close shot at one. He hadn't shot a deer in a few years, hadn't shot a buck in about 5, and every deer I was seeing was significantly bigger than anything he'd ever shot in his life. I even figured I would bring the video camera out with me in case things got interesting.

Wouldn't you know 10 minutes into our sit I look to my left, and tell my buddy "big buck coming get ready", and there is Mr. Big walking straight at our tree. I start filming and the deer closes in to about 12 yards. I couldn't of written it up any better. My buddy is drawn back and as the deer gives him a broadside shot, he doesn't stop him and whiffs about a foot and a half over his back. The deer goes running off and I look at my buddy and he goes, "turn that f'ing camera off I'm never hunting again". It's still about 2.5 hours until shooting light is over and he decided he really wasn't having it anymore so he let his bow down and climbed out of the tree.

As terrible as it is, I couldn't help but laugh about it because when I went back to hunt that stand in the late season I pulled my SD card and two more good bucks had walked right by that stand just before sunset that night.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:37 am

One time at Bear Camp me and Dan went to McDonald's to get something to eat. we were both pretty rough-looking when we walked in. We ordered our food and sat next to a homeless guy that had to have at least 50 McDoubles... Dan's clothes was so raty looking, I thought for sure the homeless guy thought Dan was homeless and was about to offer him a cheeseburger... bwaahahahaha LMBO :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS ... Dan hates when I tell that story LOL :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 am

[quote="Boogieman1"]I've got more than my fare share of funny stories in the field most of which will go with me to the grave. However there is one that still gets me chuckling around opening day, that I will share. 2 seasons ago I woke to excitement of opening morning I rushed out into the woods ready to kick of the season. I reached my tree a good hour before daylight. Climbed on up, settled afew things then start bringing up my pull rope, I was pulling and pulling and pulling when I noticed I already have 100 ft of paracord coiled at my feet it began to look suspicious. All and all think I spent atleast 45 min pulling up in the dark b4 my bow arrived. I had a massive pile of cord tangled on every in the tree. I had sole permission to this property so just want to know what would lead a man to stumble upon my stand and decide he is gonna go buy a whole spool of cord and splice into my haul line and neatly coil it up under the leaves. Well sir u got me nicely played![/quote
This had me laughing out loud... The thought of someone thinking that up and pulling it off is just to good!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:36 am

This is from a few years ago.

This morning's bow hunt started like all others, I awoke at 2 am and was hiking in before 4 am. Crossing the creek was uneventful unlike last time when I swamped my waders, so far so good. I even was able to find my tree right away without wandering around in the dark for an extra half hour. The trouble started after climbing up the tree. A branch was blocking one of my shooting lanes so I decided to cut it down with my saw.

I quickly determined that the branch was dead and dried out and all the sawing was going to make too much racket so I decided to just reach out and give it a yank to break it off. The first yank I heard a loud pop, figuring the next yank would do the trick I pulled again, harder, and sent a tree the diameter of a telephone pole crashing into my stand tree. Luckily I had set my stand at enough of an angle so I could duck behind my tree and avoid being crushed by this falling tree. Unfortunately the falling tree was forked and as the branches crashed down on either side of my stand tree it tangled my pull rope so I couldn't pull my bow up. Even worse the falling tree didn't fall all the way to the ground, but was wedged up tight against my tree and the branches where blocking the descent of my climbing tree stand below me.

After much maneuvering and breaking of branches I was able to descend half way and untangle my pull rope, thus was able to hunt until 10:00. Not surprisingly I didn't see any deer, but I did make it home alive. Had I not been able to descend I would have had to call my wife to bring me a saw, and cut down the rest of the tree. Good thing it didn't come to that, because I would have had to direct her in via cell phone instructions, (almost a mile) and she would have had to borrow my too big, leaky waders to ford the creek, she would still probably be wandering around the public hunting area.

And another:

Shortly after I started bow hunting a guy I shot archery with suggested we get together for a hunt on the local public. I arrived at the parking area before the scheduled meeting time and waited and waited and waited. The guy finally showed up late (I hate waiting) and proceeded to get his gear together. He forgot his quiver so he placed his arrows (with broadheads attached) in his backpack with the fletchings sticking up. He swung on his backpack and yelled OUCH! The heads were poking through the backpack and stuck him in the back! :lol: :lol:

We walked in and I set my stand and told him the general vicinity that I thought might be a good area for him to sit on the ground. I watched him walk about 100 yards away and setup on the ground. As the hunt progressed I caught glimpses of movement, he was walking around and then coming back to his chair :roll:

Right after sunset, when you expect the deer to move, I heard leaves crunching and here comes the guy to my tree (he was ready to leave). I packed up my stand and we started hiking out. On the walk out we came to a thicket so I stopped to figure the best route through. Right when I stopped I felt a poke in my back, I turned around (as the guy was apologizing) and the guy had a nocked arrow which he had poked me with in the back! :lol:

I almost always hunt alone now.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am

Most all of my funny stories involve me and gut pains. The outcomes are sometimes clean, sometimes dirty, and are always best told in person.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:03 pm

These are always great!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:25 pm

I was walking through a cow pasture about an hour and a half before daylight, during spring Turkey season. The pasture was on a ridge top and it was easy walking, so I was hiking by a little moon light.
I was moving at a steady pace when I noticed movement near my right foot, I looked down and was just noticing a cat sized critter with a white stripe, when the Skunk growled and turned it's rear end toward me. I screamed like a frightened school girl, ran away as fast as I could and somehow managed not to get sprayed.

It was not funny at the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”