bedding area? if so what wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

bedding area? if so what wind

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:35 am

i just found about 15-20 rubs in a 1 acre area. some were good size 3-4" diameter trees. one had tine marks up past 4' high. I am thinking this was a 2 year old. I cannot discern his exact bed location(s) or tell what wind he was there on.
there were transmission powerlines to the east and north (approx 50 yards wide) and he was bedding on the sw corner of the intersection with oaks off to the sw. underneath the powerlines is fairly thick with cattails, red brush etc. to the NE is a slight rise and hardwoods on the otherside of the powerlines. The rubs entering this area are along the west side of the north running powerline and the south side of the east/west running powerline.
that's mainly the reason i think the intersection is the bedding area b/c the rublines meet there. could it just be a staging area? i coulnt scout the areas north, east and west as they are pvt property that i dont have permission on. however so the rubs faced south too. the purple is the rub lines. the red x is the potential bed and the east/west line is the transmission line. also to the nw there is a wet area with cattails.

here is a 2nd angle looking west

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: bedding area? if so what wind

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:30 am

If he is bedding there, I would expect him to be bedding in the cattail/redbrush under the lines, rather than on that corner. I think you need to search that area and find the bed(s). Its possible he does not bed there at all... Rub lines don't automatically mean beds.
It does sound like a 2 year old based on the amount of rubs. But next season that would make him 3.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:40 am

Where did you get those cool aerials?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:44 am

If he is bedding where you put the "X" ( I would confirm that ) The wind should be out of the South West while he faces North East.
If he is bedding in the cattails and brush, I would expect him on any wind.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 am

Indianahunter wrote:Where did you get those cool aerials?

Bob, those look like the "Birds eye view", option off of bing maps or google earth I believe. Not all of the country, has that coverage. Neat though ain't it?
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 pm

maps are bing.com/maps birds eye view. dan, i will try and locate the exact bed(s) come spring-hopefully he wasn't shot but I think another may fill this spot.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

maybe its more of a staging area and he's bedding to the NE. Again, it stinks b/c i can't scout to the north or east

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”