Water thermals how much to take effect?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Water thermals how much to take effect?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:41 am

If i followed a creek in and setup below the thermal tunnel high on the west side of the creek.

How much water would it take too pull my scent down into the creek?? Can water thermals take effect if it is a small stream??

I don't want too sit the setup and have my thermals pulling back up the hill onto the thermal tunnel.

What do you guys think??

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Water thermals how much to take effect?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:45 am

Sorry phone locked up and made mutiple threads put not in too remove 2 of these.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:17 am

No one can answer that question for you... Water thermals are dependent on water temperature, air temperature, and a host of other variables. In my experience moving water is less likely to pull than stagnant water. I also want to say that land thermals will over power most water thermals. If your unsure, bottom line is you gotta test it from that position. If your on the hill side though, I would expect rising therms to get you busted.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 am

You have to look at time of day too and the wind in the area, any wind will trump a thermal. If it is morning and the thermals are going uphill I don't think the creek behind you is going to suck your scent back, thermal are very subtle and don't have that kind of power. However in the evening when the thermals are pulling downhill already they will probably come off the hill and get pulled downstream or somewhere else.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 am

The examples Dan has given were with a water hole or other still water source where the water has the ability to heat up through the day. Then in the evening the air temp drops and the water holds the heat more and creates the rising thermal above the water that pulls surrounding air in toward the water.

I would think a moving water source like a creek would not have the ability to heat up quite as much and may not have the same pull effect-especially if it is under tree cover and shaded. I have not experienced this myself, just telling you what I've read from Dan and what I THINK would happen.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”