shooting yotes during deer season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

shooting yotes during deer season

Unread postby tim » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:46 pm

wondering how many shoot yotes while deer hunting. personally I have never shot one. I hear people tell me all the time that they kill every yote they see, then when I ask them if they have a license to do so they either look at me like im crazy or think im kidding cause its " always open season on coyotes" . I guess that would be no different than killing as many deer as you want at any time you want since a license is needed according to the law. wondering everyones opinions on this. I never get a small game license so I cant but don't want to kill them anyways while im deer hunting.

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: shooting yotes during deer season

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:00 pm

In Iowa all you need is a general hunting licence for coyotes and pay habitat fee (which you have to get to get a deer tag in the first place). You need a furbearer's licence to trap them.

I kill a lot of coyotes but have a healthy respect for them still. They are 10 times smarter than a deer of a similar age class. They will be still around long after we humans kill each other off. I do it for the challenge, the fur, and trying to keep a few extra fawns around.

Competing predators, like humans and coyotes generally don't get along doesn't matter what species. I see some people rabidly hate them, or wolves for that matter, seems like its the same jealousy as when another hunter kills more deer or bigger bucks than them. I guess that is understandable but not something I think is a good way of looking at it.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 am

I kill them without question or hesitation. We're over populated here and they've started to become a problem as they get pushed out of the woods and into residential neighborhoods in search of food. Just a general hunting license is required (which you have to have for whitetail anyway), there's no bag limit, and the season is half a year long here in MA.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 am

If I can shoot one without ruining my hunt, I will absolutely take the shot. Coyotes are abundant in these parts. I would say 80% of my hunts end with them howling at dark.

I know of a couple groups of guys that push them mid winter and end up killing 50-75 yotes in a single year. I don't think they're following all the rules but...
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 am

Would help if your user info included what state you're in.

Here in MI we can shoot them all year under a small game license.

Have not taken any yet as I refuse to burn a broadhead on them and they usually come through so fast I don't have time to switch.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:50 am

When I hunt deer I hunt deer. The last thing I want is a yipping coyote flopping around with an arrow in it.......you can hunt yotes all year.for me deer time is deer time
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:11 am

I like all wildlife and won't kill anything just to kill it. I'd rather trap and skin them than shoot them and let them rot.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:57 am

I'd shoot them if I had some way of using them. Same with bow fishing. No place to get rid of the fish so I don't do it. I kill what I will eat, or what I know somebody else will really appreciate as a gift. Can't justify shooting a coyote unless I have a way to utilize the animal.

I think I have seen only a handful while hunting, and drew back on one for practice. Probably a 10 yard chip shot, but that was it.

As far as shooting them during a hunt, I would have no problem doing it. Every deer I shot I have seen more deer right afterwards near the gut pile. Don't think it bothers them too much. I think curiosity might even lure them in to be honest.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:06 am

Jonny wrote:I'd shoot them if I had some way of using them. Same with bow fishing. No place to get rid of the fish so I don't do it. I kill what I will eat, or what I know somebody else will really appreciate as a gift. Can't justify shooting a coyote unless I have a way to utilize the animal.

I think I have seen only a handful while hunting, and drew back on one for practice. Probably a 10 yard chip shot, but that was it.

As far as shooting them during a hunt, I would have no problem doing it. Every deer I shot I have seen more deer right afterwards near the gut pile. Don't think it bothers them too much. I think curiosity might even lure them in to be honest.

Compost pile is a great use of those carp from bowfishing :-) the state of Texas does not view that as waste of a car is.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:22 am

A hunting license in Ohio covers all small game and predators. You must only buy a seperate tag for deer, waterfowl, and turkey.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:23 am

If I have an opportunity at one I would take it without hesitation.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 am

I haven't shot one yet but I could have had I been carrying a pistol while bow hunting... the two I seen were too quick for me to draw back on but if I had a pistol I could have shot them, both paused to look at me at 10-15 yards out.
Wish I had been carrying a pistol those hunts because one was almost albino but had a bit of grey on its legs and the other was so big that I thought it was a German Shepherd until it stopped to look at me and I seen it's eyes looked more wild like a coyote.

Here in New Hampshire it's open season all year with night hunting allowed from January through March.
Normal hunting license covers small game.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am

got one last year- will take any that give me shots
here need proper license and they have a season. can be killed outside the season with permission from land owner as nuisance

very impressive animals (just heard a mother coyote can biologically adjust the size of her litter based on the number of yotes in the area) they are here to stay thats for sure
if I owned land I would trap/hunt them hard before fawns drop because I know once coyotes are trapped or killed others move in but that little lull could help fawn recruitment
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 am

I killed one 4 seasons ago with a ml, I killed two seasons ago with a slug gun, I hit one with an arrow last holloween evening right at dark. Yep, I'm gonna shoot coyotes while deer hunting. There have been a few exceptions but I rarely pass them.

It's open season year round on private lands in tn. On public land in tn, You are allowed to kill coyotes, while hunting other game species. If your squirrel hunting you can kill them with a shotgun. If you are bow hunting deer you can kill them with archery equipment. I think game wardens keep the rules that way To keep guys poaching deer with rifles, claiming to be predator hunting.

There are plenty of coyotes on public land, with the limitations on keeping their numbers in check.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 am

I'm from wisconsin and like I said i never killed one so I never pay attention to the law but pretty sure you need a small game license here. Any Wisconsin hunters killing them?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”