Sixth sense/intuition

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nor' easter

Sixth sense/intuition

Unread postby nor' easter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:48 am

How do you decide where to hunt on any given day?
Is it based solely on logic and analyzing conditions such as wind, weather, moon phase, time of year, etc. Or does a gut feeling or intuition help steer you toward one stand sight or another?

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Sixth sense/intuition

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 am

Learning all these beast tactics are gonna be a big factor on my sets. I think my scouting will determine witch sits i will go for first, for example i found bedding for early and late season and some rut beds. Ill start with this for the location , then pick my times to hunts with the wind That will work , then just hope other factors are available when i hunt to make it better, like moon, or fronts. But i do have to add, my gut is alway telling to go to the big buck i got on my brain. :P
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:10 am

Learning all these beast tactics are gonna be a big factor on my sits. I think my scouting will determine witch sits i will go for first, for example i found bedding for early and late season and some rut beds. Ill start with this for the location , then pick my times to hunts with the wind that will work , then just hope other factors are available when i hunt to make it better, like moon, or fronts. But i do have to add, my gut is alway telling me to go to the big buck i got on my brain. :P
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Usually I'm thinking of the best stand for the wind directions but do follow my gut and have pretty good success doing that. Just make sure it is a stand you can hunt on that day due to wind.
Kybowhunter

Unread postby Kybowhunter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Wind directions is the biggest factor. After that I go with 100% gut feeling and instinct. If I try to calculate and manufacture a hunt I end up loosing confidnece as I set there and another spot is always in the back of my mind tugging at me. My gut feelings are not always really strong. Sometimes its just a slight feeling pushing me one way or another. If I get a really strong feeling about a spot, I have seen or shot bucks on that hunt ALOT!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:13 pm

nor' easter wrote:How do you decide where to hunt on any given day?
Is it based solely on logic and analyzing conditions such as wind, weather, moon phase, time of year, etc. Or does a gut feeling or intuition help steer you toward one stand sight or another?

Wind is the first factor. Then all of the above! I think for the more experienced beasts, historical data is definitely another big factor!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:38 am

The sign I find. Last year the lack of acorns really changed a lot of the areas I hunt. The sign just never showed up. Wind and weather will get me into an area, but the sign will tell me where to sit. Won't know that until I am hanging sticks. Really just going to scout with my stand and sticks on my back and bow in hand to find the best spot (what I think is best anyways)

Other than that, I am going to trust my gut. Don't have any pre-scouted spots or historical data, so mistakes will be made, and lessons will be learned.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 am

I try and let logic dictate where I hunt but I have pulled the plug on plans and went with my gut a few times. Can't recall it ever working but I do recall a few times not listening to my gut and watching bucks slip by out of range because I was dumb. I've also had some strange feelings outside of hunting that can't be described as anything but a 6th sense before something happened, I suspect we have abilities beyond what we are told is possible. Far too many people I know get strange feelings and or things happen to them that can't be explained with our limited knowledge.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:40 am

I have a plan... But a lot of the time the plan gets changed in the field. I don't attribute it to "sixth sense" more like common sense. I change plans for a reason.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:18 am

When I decide on where I want to hunt, a few factors come into play.

1) where am I at with my season? If I've already gotten enough meat for the freezer, I usually just decide what area will give me the best chance at killing the biggest buck.

2) how much time do I have? If I have the whole weekend I'm more likely to travel. If I only have the morning or afternoon I will prob need to be more local.

3) would be all weather conditions, I haven't had much luck hunting south easterly winds. I don't trust them and they tend to swirl in most spots. Im not burning out good spots on poor conditions, better to use those days scouting marginal areas for fresh sign, or stacking marginal areas I don't intend to hunt.

4) by this point I've got it narrowed down to 2 or 3 spots and I can usually pick the best based on wind direction. If I'm still in doubt, I have been known to flip a coin. I have flipped a coin all the way to killing a buck before.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”