Plans...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: Plans...

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am

I'm hoping to get out at least once per week during season, ,,, just on the local public hunting ground with my compound hunting off the ground. Found/confirmed a few buck bedrooms last fall that I wanna hunt this autumn.

I have no clue what to expect. I hope everything in life goes smoothly so I can always hunt

Help my Dad get a deer this gun season is my goal or wish.

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 am

I know most people are hoping to tag a good one this year and I am too. But my biggest plan/goal is to scout more. In season and post season scouting are my big plan. By next spring I'd like to have 3 beds I'm confident in hunting on each of the 2 public areas I'm focusing on. I'd also like to have 2 rut funnels/ setups at each place as well.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:11 am

I think my only goal right now is to get Randy out hunting.

I also wouldn't mind stretching my legs on some new ground, maybe throw a dart at a map, or find some place interesting.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 pm

My plans are to use the intel from my two cameras to decide where to start and then shoot the first thing bigger than a yearling with my bow to fill that tag; which I hope to do in the first 2 weeks of the season, since I've been eating tag soup for the last 3 seasons and need meat for the freezer :roll: then for my rifle tag I plan on rut hunting a few new areas I've scouted this past winter, hopefully there is something decent out there.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:36 pm

The plan was to get out 4+ times a week on afternoon hunts and concentrate on tagging a nice buck I have a couple years of history with. Also to take a good (3 1/2+ year old) off some of the public lands I've been cyber scouting. My work is looking to be getting very busy at this point so I will look forward to taking whatever opportunity to enjoy my hunting and get out as much as I can. I'll continue to try and hunt each spot only once and will probably leave my climber hanging this year and stick with the hang on and sticks.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:50 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:Question for the bed hunting experts

I have a spot on public that I hunted last year saw 2 bucks then went back and scouted in the spring. From what I have read on this site and through the marsh and swamp dvds, I believe it is a primary bed. I believe the deer I was seeing were in secondary beds. But I found the main bedding.

My question is do I hunt this spot as soon as I get the right wind or do I give it a little time? I think the deer move into this area once the pressure starts. I have my entrance down, and the tree picked out, already climbed it and set up this February. I just am still unsure about timing.

Leaning toward hunting as soon as I get the right wind as the public is very unpredictable

If you think it takes some pressure to put them in there then I would wait. What time of the year did you see the other bucks come out of it? I would try to time it close to when you seen them last year.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:58 am

I plan to kill an antelope in Wyoming in a few weeks with my bow.

For deer hunting, i plan to just hunt hot sign in the best areas i can find. The past couple years, good things have happened to me when i do that. Going to try to kill a nice buck.

I plan to keep learning big buck behavior and to keep learning the lands i hunt on. I plan to keep finding new bucks, figuring out where they bed and hunting them down for years to come! :twisted:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:37 am

I hope to pull one of 2 good bucks that travel through my dad's place. One was a clean, typical 12 last year. The other was a BIG sway backed 9.

I will put a buck down on public land, hopefully one in Oklahoma and one in Texas.

I want to get lots of run-n-gun sits in this year, and get proficient at my new climbing spurs and sitdrag setup.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 am

Wlog wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:Question for the bed hunting experts

I have a spot on public that I hunted last year saw 2 bucks then went back and scouted in the spring. From what I have read on this site and through the marsh and swamp dvds, I believe it is a primary bed. I believe the deer I was seeing were in secondary beds. But I found the main bedding.

My question is do I hunt this spot as soon as I get the right wind or do I give it a little time? I think the deer move into this area once the pressure starts. I have my entrance down, and the tree picked out, already climbed it and set up this February. I just am still unsure about timing.

Leaning toward hunting as soon as I get the right wind as the public is very unpredictable

If you think it takes some pressure to put them in there then I would wait. What time of the year did you see the other bucks come out of it? I would try to time it close to when you seen them last year.

Thanks, the 2 times I hunted were Oct 10, 24. The public where I hunt gets really pounded the first 5 days of season then it slows down till gun.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:40 am

1. Try to have sucsess in beast hunting the one spot I think I have lined up.

2. Enjoy the season.

3. Find new ground that actually has mature bucks. True Beast bucks!

4. Just keep learning and keep pushing!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:08 am

The one thing I know is that my season generally never goes as I may have planned, but, I am really hoping to tag a mature buck in NY, PA, and possibly OH this year. I definitely feel like that is overly ambitious, but I am able to hunt almost every day and have put in a lot of time scouting this past off season. I also have set a goal to get girlfriend in front of a buck this season, of any kind. She harvested her first archery doe last season and I shot her "target" buck in NY so I'm feeling pretty obligated for how much she has dedicated herself to getting it done this year, to do my best to help her.
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:22 am

This will be my first year trying to employ Beast tactics. While I have learned so much since joining the Beast site in mid-January, I feel like so far I have put together about 50 pieces of a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle. I'm hoping to connect some more of the puzzle together and continue to learn throughout this season. I have two target bucks this season...5.5 & 6.5 yrs old respectively. The 5.5 yr old is truly a special, once-in-a-lifetime type deer for this areas. The 6.5 yr old is not nearly as impressive antler-wise, but he's an old, ornery bully. Both would give me a great deal of satisfaction in just laying eyes on them, but the 5.5 is definitely the #1 target...hard to ignore tremendous antlers. In addition to putting into practice the material I've learned here, I also want to add bowhunting from the ground to my this year. Another goal I have this year is to take my son, who will be almost 4 yrs old this fall, to sit in a deer stand for the first time.
gravebeforeshave80

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:48 am

first and foremost I want my spouse and oldest son (8) to put their 1st deer on the ground, both had opportunities last season but counldnt capitalize.
As for myself anything mature or does but to me a lot of my sits will be observation bc im on new ground and basically set up on map reading cam intel and previous years hunts that were few and far between...that said got skunked last season and am running out of moose meat
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 am

After a successful first beast season last yr, I doubled my time spent scouting this past spring, trying to add a handful of new spots of every year. I put cameras out on multiple properties first week of July and will pull them first week of September as usual, then I should have a good idea of which areas are holding some of the more mature animals. My bowhunting plans will start from there, trying to get eyes on something at a distance from pre-scouted observation stands. In NY, a 115" 3 yr or better is the goal...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:55 am

#1 goal is to make it thru another season. Along the way I'd like to pop a couple of does this year and a good buck in there somewhere, without a miss. We got a new farm to hunt this year in June so I'm hoping it pans out.

I do want start post season scouting a bit earlier this year and I'm hoping to spend a bit of time in the hills of Tennessee.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”