Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bedding

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:23 am

SMS79 wrote:I'm also new to the Beast and to finding beds. I hunt low, rolling hills down here in GA and when I first started looking, I started finding beds pretty quickly. But being new to it, I soon figured out that my preconceived notion of what to look for wasn't too accurate...also realized that I'd been walking right past tons of them. When I realized what to look for, my problem quickly morphed into finding too many beds, but not finding any really good primary beds. If you check out the Hunting Beast's YouTube page, look at part 1 of the Q&A Dan and Mario did recently. It was eye opening to me when Mario talked about going scouting with Dan, and Mario was just getting into an area when Dan was like, "Alright, I'm done here". It emphasized to me how what you're looking for is going to be where it's supposed to be. You say you've scoured this site for 2 years, then I'm guessing you've read all about where it's supposed to be.

Fast forward to yesterday: I had my first OMG experience (reference the YouTube video I mentioned above) in looking for buck beds. On this piece of private, family owned property, I found my first buck bed worn down to the dirt. There were actually two beds within about 10 feet of each other. Both of these beds were the first thing I've seen in 6 months of looking for beds on this property that looked like a buck bedded there repetitively year round and year after year. This is a couple hundred acres of private land with not a whole lot of hunting pressure, but regular non-threatening human activity...and wouldn't you know it, I found this bed in an overlooked spot where the buck has a prime view of one of only two access routes to the back half of the property. From the bed, I was literally looking at the very spot (less than 100 yards away) where I've parked my truck hundreds of times over the years when hunting that side of the property. :lol:

It's already got me to thinking about going and checking the other access route for a similar "overlooked spot".

Great post...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”