Treestand concealment?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Treestand concealment?

Unread postby OHBB24 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:07 am

I put up several stands this summer, two are good to go where I won't be skyline or easily picked out. The one in question is in a maple with a lot of branches and two close maples but when I hunt in November the leaves will have dropped. Does anyone have any advice for concealment, anyone ever use fake branches or blind cover, etc? I think I'll be fine but wanted to get others take.

BackCoverBowHunter

Re: Treestand concealment?

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:06 am

If you have plenty of branches around you to break up your outline you should be fine. I would not go in there anymore to mess around with it. You will just make everything in the area more alert to what you did. What I do for my hang ons now is, I have zip ties attached to the platform. So when I am hanging it I can easily zip branches I cut to it. I don't need to do it very often though. I keep them on there just in case. I also stick branches in the holes of the ladder in different spots.
Extreme Effort Only
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:39 pm

If you've got limbs around and a decent trunk behind you AND don't move, you should be fine. Movement is what tips em off most of the time.

Had a deer scent me at 10 yards while sitting 15 feet up on a telephone - like pine this past season. It spotted me the instant I moved to put the cross hairs on it.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:26 am

I like to face the direction i expect deer to come. The only problem with that is i need good back cover. It doesn't necessarily have to be from the tree i'm in. If there are branches from another tree behind me that works well.

When i don't have good cover i will face away from where i expect the deer to come and use the tree as a shield. When i do this i typically stand most of the day and face the tree.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:45 am

After leaf drop this is where camo pattern absolutely makes a huge difference. It's amazing what I have gotten away with in wide open trees wearing a pattern like Predator. Good back cover is obviously preferred but not always possible later in the season. Generally I like to set my stand so the platform is just above some branches if available. If a deer looks up it does really help break up the outline not only the stand platform but you as well. In this case what's behind you is not nearly as important.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:49 am

The thing I enjoy about mobile hunting is the surprise element. They have no reason to be on alert. I might have scouted that spot 9 months, 1 1/2 years or longer and they are relaxed coming through.
Dewey mentioned the open type camo. That has been getting lots of converts but I have too much camo already.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:49 am

justdirtyfun wrote:The thing I enjoy about mobile hunting is the surprise element. They have no reason to be on alert. I might have scouted that spot 9 months, 1 1/2 years or longer and they are relaxed coming through.
Dewey mentioned the open type camo. That has been getting lots of converts but I have too much camo already.

Yep... You keep going in there messing around and good luck killing anything mature there, I have shot good bucks out of a lone dead limbless tree in an ocean of cattails just by putting my back against the tree standing, and not moving till the shot presents... Bucks won't look if they have gone by a lot and never smelled human presence. Some bucks will avoid that spot after just one visit.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:17 am

dan wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:The thing I enjoy about mobile hunting is the surprise element. They have no reason to be on alert. I might have scouted that spot 9 months, 1 1/2 years or longer and they are relaxed coming through.

Yep... You keep going in there messing around and good luck killing anything mature there, I have shot good bucks out of a lone dead limbless tree in an ocean of cattails just by putting my back against the tree standing, and not moving till the shot presents... Bucks won't look if they have gone by a lot and never smelled human presence. Some bucks will avoid that spot after just one visit.

X2. When I set a stand, I'll put it up and have it all prepped and wont be back until its time to hunt it. Second guessing yourself can kill your chances. You picked that spot for a reason, go with your gut and let it be.

If the time comes when you hunt it and you feel like you are getting busted for no reason other than you stick out than make a change. I have stand spots where I am less than 10 feet off the ground due to small trees and have does and younger bucks come within a yard or two. It's amazing how much you can get away with with a decent camo pattern and not moving.
carmmond

Unread postby carmmond » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:38 am

Yep back in the day I used to hunt in jeans and flannel shirts on the ground and took my share...... just didn't move! The tree stands and Cammo just let me get away with more movement. I just plain don't move unless I have to and have never concealed a stand and just go up as far as I think I need to. Heck how many guys on here are up in a stand with someone in another stand filming get away with it and have never concealed their stands.
Take a step back and just think about your setup and what the deer can see from the bed or the trail they are coming from.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 am

I try get as high as possible....in the tree, with my tree stand and keep my movement to a minimum

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”