Losing Friends

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rthunter

Re: Losing Friends

Unread postby rthunter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:04 am

Josh_S wrote:tell them you used the acorn cruncher and they came right in

:lol: :lol: or that used some crazy special and loud rattling sequence along with a grunt to sing Whistling Dixie! That could get fun!

Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:42 am

Tjterry wrote:I'm just like most of you. My friends hunt but do not take it to the level I do. I've tried a time or two to explain to them how I hunt but I quickly seen I was wasting my time. It's not common to find the passion and drive that most of the guys on here seem to have. That's why I love this sight. Makes me feel good knowing there is people out there even more deer crazy than me ! Lol

This is pretty much how my hunting life has gone. I put in a significant amount more time and effort than just about anyone that I have hunted with here at home, and that is fine by me. I wouldn't say I have lost any friends over it but there are a few that I don't bother to ask to hunt with me anymore. Through this site and a few other places I have developed a few really good friendships over the years. There are a few guys that I have never even met in person but we text on a regular basis.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:07 am

I enjoy being social, but have come to the conclusion, that for me to bow hunt for deer the way I want to and get out of it what I ant to get out if it, its a solo deal. Spend time with others fishing, and doing other things. Bow hunting is my deal, completely unapologetically.
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. One of the reasons I love hunting so much is for the friendships and stories. However, I am very driven to the challenge of these animals and it's sounding more and more like you can't have it fully both ways. Success will lead to jealousy or loosing spots or in rare occasions create some really good relationships. If I end up with success, I'll ride luck for now. I like Dewey's reference "the harder I work, the luckier I become."
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Dewey wrote:When I killed my first few nice bucks they said I was "lucky". As I started seeing and killing more and more better than average bucks in the same areas they were hunting with no luck the questions started coming about what I am doing different. I just smile and say I must be the luckiest guy around. :lol:

Seriously though luck has nothing to do with it. "The harder I work the luckier I become" saying tells the story. I have no problem sharing Beast style tactics with anybody that will listen but usually just get a glazed over look when I explain the amount of work needed to hunt this way. I talked a friend of mine into buying the Marsh Bucks dvd since he hunts marshes like I do but over 2 years later he still hasn't watched the dvd. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

These days I keep the details of my adventures to myself except sharing them here at the Beast with like minded individuals who totally understand the passion year round not just a few weeks out of the year.

This is such a good point. When mentioning to my friend, who taught me archery and got me into hinting, how I planned on hunting he was not impressed. His biggest gripe? "Good luck pulling a deer out of the swamp." I got him to read some of the beast stuff and watch some videos, but he's just like "it's too much work for me."

Not for me! I love it!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 am

perchsoup wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. One of the reasons I love hunting so much is for the friendships and stories. However, I am very driven to the challenge of these animals and it's sounding more and more like you can't have it fully both ways. Success will lead to jealousy or loosing spots or in rare occasions create some really good relationships. If I end up with success, I'll ride luck for now. I like Dewey's reference "the harder I work, the luckier I become."

Couldn't agree more. I've made some of my best friendships through hunting, and I've realized a few people that really weren't my friends the first time I had any success. I like to stick around the guys that celebrate my "luck" with me and I'll always do my best to help any of those few people out.
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:30 am

perchsoup wrote:...in rare occasions create some really good relationships..."

I mentioned the Midwest Whitetails public land guys in my post earlier. If you haven't checked their stuff out, I highly recommend it. I think what they have is something truly special. Reading the posts on this thread illustrates just how rare that kind of relationship and camaraderie is in deer hunting. I know even in web content, what's produced is far less than what the camera catches. I don't personally know if their friendships extend beyond work/hunting, but what has struck me about watching them is how truly pumped and excited they get for each other's successes. A success for one is considered a success for all. So while that is rare, they are a source of hope for me that it's still possible.

Btw, I thought dirt nap giver's advice was great. I'm going to use that thought process in the future for sure.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 pm

I've experienced the jealousy thing both ways, I've been around that guy and I've been that guy. With that being said, the greatest part of my hunting life is the friendships I've made. I've got two guys that are like brothers to me, we hunt together and help one another and if one of us gets a buck it's like we all did. I can't imagine not hunting around them and sharing in their success. I think I would be missing out on some great fun if I didn't have that. Just my opinion though, I totally understand hunting solo, probably why I rarely kill a big one. :lol:
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:27 am

When people ask me where I hunt, or where a spot is the answer is always the same: "In the woods. Why where are your spots that you've had "luck"?" They usually change the subject after that.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:33 am

PK_ wrote:In the beginning just ride with the 'luck' theory, it is the easy stage, just agree that it is luck. Once you have piled up enough bucks for people to really take notice,this is when you really need to stay humble, respectful and give anyone and everyone around you credit that has helped you along the way. Some may still find a way to be jealous but it will be hard for most. Never forget where you came from and who has been there for you.

Get used to finding new spots because you will likely hand some over to friends/family. But don't worry they will probably burn them out and give up on them within a couple years and then you can have them back. And if they do kill a good one there you will be very happy, trust me.

I went through a few years during the 'he is lucky' stage with a chip on my shoulder, just wanting to prove them wrong. It is the only regret so far I have had in regards to hunting. Life is too short for that crap.

This is what I am fighting. Staying on the humble side. Last two years have been a blast learning. And I have gotten hammered for passing up some good shooters in my hunting circle to the point that I quit showing all of my hunting buddies all the pictures from sits and sometimes just show the does and pigs. Kinda took it personal when they started calling my high society or saying I was too good to shoot the mediocre buck. Reading this thread reminds me I need to step back and thank the guys that were there before the beast. And I really do get super amped when one of the guys gets a basket racked 8 or a fork horn or a monster thick old 12pt, because they are amped up. I am sure they take it as a slap if I passed that deer or one similar. But like others have stated in this thread when I start talking about bedding and thermals and wind and transitions and day sign vs night sign I generally get the glazed over look although my brother is getting super interested after going scouting with me and us finding a good bed (got super lucky basically fell into it being so thick I never would have seen it if it had not been exactly where I thought it might possibly be) and that is really cool. He even borrowed my swamp bedding DVD to watch.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:44 am

Ever since I got back into hunting a few years ago (college and then a career/quick career change got in the way) I have been going it alone. This year I teamed up with a guy about my dad's age that just moved in from out of state. He isn't on the beast, but hunts very similar to a beast. We both use a saddle too. It has been a cool, open communication kind of collaboration. We have scouted together a good bit, and shared overviews and gps coordinates for solo scouting trips. We even found a couple spots that work best if we go in together and set two trees in close proximity.
As much as I would like to finally get an AR legal buck, I would be just as happy if he put one down based on a place I scouted and set up.

Since I hunt a lot right on the Texas/Oklahoma border, I broke down this year and paid the out of state tag to be able to hunt the OK side. They don't have antler restrictions in the Oklahoma counties I hunt, so I know I can put a buck down this year easy peasy. That 13" spread was a deal breaker the last 2 seasons. I got a couple 3.5yr bucks in range, but neither qualified. (One was broken off above the brow tine, the second was a tall but narrow 6)

I don't need a pope and young or a booner for my first beast buck. All I need is a buck that read the script I had written. That is something that is uniquely beast. That is success to me. I can get that sharing the prep work we did. I don't need to keep all those spots to myself. As long as the other hunter is on board with when and why a spot is hunted, and doesn't burn it out, his success is my success.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:53 am

My friends are always happy for my success and I for them, as far as others, I really don't care what people think of the way I hunt, and I could care less how they hunt as long as its all legal and ethical.
Persistence pays!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”