Behind the tree?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Behind the tree?

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:46 am

When do Beasts decide when to set up behind a tree with the stand so that you are shooting around the tree? I assume this is a good solution for when cover is light but are there some other factors to consider? I feel like I am constantly getting busted and I am starting to consider shooting around the tree more often than not....

Thanks!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Re: Behind the tree?

Unread postby ontario farmer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:03 am

NorthStar wrote:When do Beasts decide when to set up behind a tree with the stand so that you are shooting around the tree? I assume this is a good solution for when cover is light but are there some other factors to consider? I feel like I am constantly getting busted and I am starting to consider shooting around the tree more often than not....

Thanks!

If you hunt with a tree saddle it is easy to shoot from behind the tree. You can use the tree for cover. I killed a buck last year within 10 yards of me while I hid behind a tree in a new tribe aero hunter. I also killed two turkeys this spring while sitting a guidos web at ground level. I was behind a tree both times.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:10 am

My preference has always been the front side facing the direction I expect the buck to come from. I typically hunt from the back only when a branch or the lean of a tree prevent me from doing so. A good friend who has been very successful is just the opposite. To each his own.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:58 pm

When I was younger I usually set-up facing opposite of the direction I thought the deer would come from. You do have the tree to hide behind. The big downfall in my mind is the movement it takes to constantly turn around and check for deer. I've been busted more by deer turning around to look for them. Now I face directly towards the targeted direction. Much less movement. And if you are truly inline with the tree your camo should blend you in. It's when you set-up at an angle you get silhouetted and picked off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 pm

I set up facing the deer when ever possible. Shooting from behind the tree creats all sorts of issues like the buck moving from one side to the other and having to move the bow and arrow un-noticed to that side with the tree in the way, and it creates movement, and makes you stick out from the side of the tree. Tree to back, you become the tree and at any second can draw and shoot cause nothing is blocking you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”