Hill Country question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

Hill Country question

Unread postby jjm335 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Guys,

Long time no post!

I just finished watching the new DVD Hill Country and loved it! Great job Dan and to all involved. I have two questions out of the DVD I'm hoping anyone can help clarify for me.

Question #1:

In the DVD Dan you said that a buck won't necessary take into account or care about wind direction to exit. So a buck beds in that bed because of the wind for that bed, but when he exits he goes whatever way he wishes. My impression or though was that he would most likely exit into the wind but you said in the DVD no (not all the time). Can you give your thoughts around that? So your strategy is to find the best exit trail and hunt that?

Question #2:

You say to hunt 3/4 up on the military crest. If I have a hill with a large flat, would both the 3/4 from the top and 3/4 from the flat be good or only the top? I would assume both because the wind would be similar, the flat would work like a top if large enough.

For example, in this image...are both red lines areas you should scout, or ignore the bottom red line?

https://ibb.co/bBsq7v

Last bonus question...when/what is the next DVD!?!? :D

jjm335

Re: Hill Country question

Unread postby jjm335 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Sorry, can't embed the image for some reason...just click the link instead.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:34 am

In the DVD Dan you said that a buck won't necessary take into account or care about wind direction to exit. So a buck beds in that bed because of the wind for that bed, but when he exits he goes whatever way he wishes. My impression or though was that he would most likely exit into the wind but you said in the DVD no (not all the time). Can you give your thoughts around that? So your strategy is to find the best exit trail and hunt that?

I have watched bucks come out of bedding areas for years, hundreds. I have not seen a correlation with the wind. I see them bed in a spot cause of the wind, and I have seen situations where bucks only bed in a certain spot cause of a certain wind and the exit trail towards food/does/ water/etc is into the wind... But... I have never seen a consistent pattern with and buck of heading into the wind leaving a bed. BUT... They do take great care into smelling a bed before entering and making sure they can sense predators from the bed.

You say to hunt 3/4 up on the military crest. If I have a hill with a large flat, would both the 3/4 from the top and 3/4 from the flat be good or only the top? I would assume both because the wind would be similar, the flat would work like a top if large enough.

Im having a hard time visulalizing what your saying... However, I would suggest scouting and finding out if there in both places. They bed and cruse at about that 1/3 down area cause of the thermals and wind meeting there. That can vary, and can be lower or higher up the hill and even in some cases in two spots. Only way to be positive is to scout it.
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:52 am

dan wrote:
Im having a hard time visulalizing what your saying... However, I would suggest scouting and finding out if there in both places. They bed and cruse at about that 1/3 down area cause of the thermals and wind meeting there. That can vary, and can be lower or higher up the hill and even in some cases in two spots. Only way to be positive is to scout it.

Sorry Dan, let me try the image again.

I'm talking about the red lines. I assume both areas because the flat acts "like a top"? I just grabbed an example image, maybe not the best but hopefully you see what I'm asking.

Thank you for the feedback. I really enjoyed the DVD and I'm looking forward to the next one. Hope you are doing a farm country one!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:53 am

jjm335 i think what you have drawed up there, is a rather large bench. I think others will agree that bedding can be in both places on your map! But like dan said scouting will give you the answer! Here is a link to a mountian hill thread that may help you some if you havent seen it!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40162&view=unread#unread
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:20 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:jjm335 i think what you have drawed up there, is a rather large bench. I think others will agree that bedding can be in both places on your map! But like dan said scouting will give you the answer! Here is a link to a mountian hill thread that may help you some if you havent seen it!
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... ead#unread

Thanks so much for the reply! I booked marked that page, great wealth of info just like a lot of other stuff on here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”