Thermal question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Buck

Thermal question

Unread postby Southern Buck » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:08 pm

I realize there are probably several variables here such as temperature and canopy density, but how long after sunrise does it typically take for the sun to create rising thermals on a valley floor? Thanks for the help.

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Killemquietly

Re: Thermal question

Unread postby Killemquietly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:05 pm

In my experience in Louisiana about 40 minutes. Next time you hunt in 30-45 degree weather pay attention and see if you get cold in feet and torso around the 7-8 o'clock hour. My theory is the thermals start rising and the cold air is pushed down to ground (or stand) level. If almost never fails, that you'll really notice it after somebody tells you about this phenomenon.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:11 pm

it depends , when the sun hits the valley floor.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 am

Southern Buck wrote:I realize there are probably several variables here such as temperature and canopy density, but how long after sunrise does it typically take for the sun to create rising thermals on a valley floor? Thanks for the help.

As soon as the sun starts to peak over the horizon, when I get that first chill down my spine things will start happening. Though usually about mid morning I start to notice the upward movement occur. However, in the evenings I see the bottom drop out.
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
Southern Buck wrote:I realize there are probably several variables here such as temperature and canopy density, but how long after sunrise does it typically take for the sun to create rising thermals on a valley floor? Thanks for the help.

As soon as the sun starts to peak over the horizon, when I get that first chill down my spine things will start happening. Though usually about mid morning I start to notice the upward movement occur. However, in the evenings I see the bottom drop out.

So usually 2 or 3 hours give or take before the rising thermals begin creating that wind tunnel along the ridge?
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:14 am

Southern Buck wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:

So usually 2 or 3 hours give or take before the rising thermals begin creating that wind tunnel along the ridge?

Id say thats about right on normal conditions. IDK if others would agree w this but usually after or about 10ish im really starting to not like what the milkweed is doing and feeling uncomfortable about my scent stream, sometimes sooner. Generally thats me setting up low for late buck and iv decided to call it a morning. I do not like moving around my sets midday so for the rut I prefer going for the 1/3 all day. I see it as the wind tunnel has its own "Prime Time" through out the day.
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Has anyone ever thought of the way the "steam" rises on a mountain side on a hot summer day then it rains and produces a "steam". I don't know what the word I'm looking for is. Mainly looks to be coming from around water sources, out of hollers, and sink holes or caves. I was just sitting here reading through old threads and that popped in my head. Could you possibly use those to find out how the thermals work in your area or maybe even where the thermals and wind meet?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Rockytophunter wrote:Has anyone ever thought of the way the "steam" rises on a mountain side on a hot summer day then it rains and produces a "steam". I don't know what the word I'm looking for is. Mainly looks to be coming from around water sources, out of hollers, and sink holes or caves. I was just sitting here reading through old threads and that popped in my head. Could you possibly use those to find out how the thermals work in your area or maybe even where the thermals and wind meet?

Multiple guys have told me that steeper elevations increase the thermal pull. Especially a bluff. One of the best things you can do to be prepared is look at past and future wind directions. On variable wind days there will be gusts that your not sure why it happend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”