Preferred Big Buck browse

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Preferred Big Buck browse

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:40 am

Been a while since I’ve logged on....

Boy, I learned a lot about browse, and manners from when I posted this thread!

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 am

I do not know the name yet but the past few years I have been figuring out how deer feed in creek bottoms (especially bucks). Most of what iv seen is based in summer months and mid Sept. It seems the be bc the temps are lower in the bottoms, its wet so things grow really well and these tall grasses / plants must be tasty. They also can change bedding areas anytime and no one would ever see them. Ill have to go look at a few and figure out the name.

This is pre season 2019 scouting and I stumbled onto 3 young bucks feeding midday. I also have a handful of trail cam videos showing the same w much larger bucks. One instance I have the same bachelor group on cam 3 times throughout the day changing beds, feeding slow and heavily. (Sorry its shaky)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1K6oSeu8aI&list=PLJzbVUu9Abt6RT2QCL_aVL1AdEIwz6IED&index=10&t=0s
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 am

That’s cool footage DK! I have no idea what the plant was.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
RingChaser

Unread postby RingChaser » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:30 am

MedicineMan15 wrote:I think it was in one of the most recent Q&A podcasts Dan was talking about the picker bushes with the bright green leaves as being a favorite among deer (the leaves for eating and the bushes for dense cover make a pretty great combination). I've seen this myself last year, very close to the bed of the biggest buck I've ever laid eyes on.

After doing a little Google search, I found an article by outdoor life about indigenous plants as food sources. They discuss in the article about getting these plants for food plots, but the information is just as valuable as we're scouting. Although I was surprised to see poison ivy on the list, can anyone confirm this?

Here's the article in question:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... -grow-deer

This may have already been answered already....I am just now reading through this thread. I watched a nice 10 point browse on Poison Ivy right under my stand one evening. He ate on it for probably a couple of minutes before walking away and giving me a good shot. After that evening when scouting, I started looking at that stuff closer to see if has been browsed on. This was early October in Oklahoma when I saw him eating it.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:16 am

greenhorndave wrote:That’s cool footage DK! I have no idea what the plant was.

Thanks man. It was a really cool day. I crawled out of there actually. They kept getting closer
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Locust pods they love.
Ive watched several does and a young buck under a locust tree I've hunted in absolutely suck the locus pods up like a vacuum. Black locus are in my area i believe.
They also browse on maples leaves when they turn color in the fall. White red or black oaks of course.
Persimmons or apple early on of course.
Basically if its green. They eat it.
I've seen deer eat holly leaves.
They feed on green briar very heavily in winter.
Big thick briar patches close to nasty deep marsh or swamps are great late season for a staging area before moving out to main food source after dark.
I had a great buck just too far last season several times do this.
My tree selection has been just a bit off the last few seasons. Gonna work on that this coming year.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun May 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Bump
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:22 pm

Just a few that a friend has opened my eyes too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:13 am

I need to do more homework and find out exactly what all is in this area. It's just an old field on the farm, we brush hog it once a year or so just to keep it from growing up but bucks love it and summer in it every year. Each year there is 4-10 bucks using it every day. I know it's got some grasses, goldenrod, swamp rose mallow, and assorted other plants. Also has one locust tree and oak trees on the edges they feed on.
Screenshot_20200827-070423_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200827-070501_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200827-071211_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”