hunting marsh/swamp during early pre-rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Josh_S
500 Club

hunting marsh/swamp during early pre-rut

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:02 am

How do you approach hunting this type of terrain during the early pre-rut...let's say Oct 20-25. I have taken a few days off to hunt this phase and was looking for a few pointers. I have never hunted marsh/swamp at this time, I'm more used to hills. I do have experience in marsh/swamp during early Nov.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: hunting marsh/swamp during early pre-rut

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:10 am

Close to pre-scouted bedding. If you don't have it pre-scouted you can follow the hard transitions guessing on bedding looking for sign.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 am

I'm planning on bed hunting all season, no matter what time of the year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:27 am

I'll be traveling out of state at this time to avoid the pressure of muzzleloader drives in my home state. Also with orange requirements I don't want to be seen near some of my best bedding areas at this time. So come to think of it I have not really even hunted this week without wearing orange and without gun hunting pressure. That's why I'm traveling out of state. Unfortunately I was not able to scout on foot before green up due to high water. The particular area I chose has all of the key bedding features, and because of its shape seems like the ideal area block hunt depending on pressure.

At what time of year do you eventually start hunting near doe bedding in the A.M? This early pre-rut time is foreign to me because of the regs in my home state.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:25 am

Josh_S wrote:I'll be traveling out of state at this time to avoid the pressure of muzzleloader drives in my home state. Also with orange requirements I don't want to be seen near some of my best bedding areas at this time. So come to think of it I have not really even hunted this week without wearing orange and without gun hunting pressure. That's why I'm traveling out of state. Unfortunately I was not able to scout on foot before green up due to high water. The particular area I chose has all of the key bedding features, and because of its shape seems like the ideal area block hunt depending on pressure.

At what time of year do you eventually start hunting near doe bedding in the A.M? This early pre-rut time is foreign to me because of the regs in my home state.

Late October
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 am

Josh_S wrote:I'll be traveling out of state at this time to avoid the pressure of muzzleloader drives in my home state. Also with orange requirements I don't want to be seen near some of my best bedding areas at this time. So come to think of it I have not really even hunted this week without wearing orange and without gun hunting pressure. That's why I'm traveling out of state. Unfortunately I was not able to scout on foot before green up due to high water. The particular area I chose has all of the key bedding features, and because of its shape seems like the ideal area block hunt depending on pressure.

Very little experience but I am going to shoot for the first big cold snap in the end of october. Halloween has been one of my best days in central wisconsin for seeing deer moving.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”