Entry how to's..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMAR85

Entry how to's..

Unread postby JMAR85 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am

I have a spot between two doe bedding areas I'm excited to hunt this year. Never hunted it before but I'm a little stuck on how to enter it. It seems no matter how I go in I'll be crossing a possible trail at some point. Any suggestions?

GoInLight

Re: Entry how to's..

Unread postby GoInLight » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:07 pm

JMAR85 wrote:I have a spot between two doe bedding areas I'm excited to hunt this year. Never hunted it before but I'm a little stuck on how to enter it. It seems no matter how I go in I'll be crossing a possible trail at some point. Any suggestions?

Are there any creeks you could walk or boat through?
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:57 pm

GoInLight wrote:
JMAR85 wrote:I have a spot between two doe bedding areas I'm excited to hunt this year. Never hunted it before but I'm a little stuck on how to enter it. It seems no matter how I go in I'll be crossing a possible trail at some point. Any suggestions?

I love creeks and ditches for entry. If that's not an option, I would try not to walk parallel to any trails. If you're walking with the trail but off to the side, you're more likely to meet a deer walking that trail than if you come in on a 90 degree to the trail, if that makes sense. If you have to cross the trail, I would do it at a spot you can shoot to. Mark the spot where you need to cross the trail with a reflective tack if you need to, so you can find the exact spot easily.

Of course, every situation is different. Coming is from the side may not be possible because of a thick nasty clearcut or some other obstacle. Good luck.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Nelson87 wrote:
GoInLight wrote:

I love creeks and ditches for entry. If that's not an option, I would try not to walk parallel to any trails. If you're walking with the trail but off to the side, you're more likely to meet a deer walking that trail than if you come in on a 90 degree to the trail, if that makes sense. If you have to cross the trail, I would do it at a spot you can shoot to. Mark the spot where you need to cross the trail with a reflective tack if you need to, so you can find the exact spot easily.

Of course, every situation is different. Coming is from the side may not be possible because of a thick nasty clearcut or some other obstacle. Good luck.

That's essentially the problem, the area around it is too thick to make it realistic. I was considering coming in at a 90 directly in front of the stand but wasn't sure if that was a dumb idea or not.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm

JMAR85 wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:
GoInLight wrote:

That's essentially the problem, the area around it is too thick to make it realistic. I was considering coming in at a 90 directly in front of the stand but wasn't sure if that was a dumb idea or not.

I think if that's the case you don't have much choice. I would get the wind in my favor and cross any trail I had to to get to the tightest pinch between both bedding areas. I'd be thinking about downwind cruising bucks and I'd make a hunt on it and see where it goes. Timing sounds like it's going to be key on that spot as well.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 pm

One more thing just make sure if you have to cross a trail right where you are set up that you can shoot that spot out of your stand
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 pm

What kind of terrain are we looking at here?
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 pm

If you cross a trail or come down a trail you just have to make sure you can shoot the buck before he crosses your ground scent. Sounds like you found a good rut spot, just have to figure out how to sneak in and hunt the downwind side. Creek or ditch access are my favorites. If it's thick wait for a windy day where you have more cover noise.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:08 am

Josh_S wrote:What kind of terrain are we looking at here?

It's flat fairly flat, but it's really thick.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:16 am

like Jhand said, this sounds like an ideal rut spot. I would say just use your best judgment to avoid stinking it up where you feel does or cruising bucks may be coming from. Sounds worthy of a morning sit or 2 during pre-rut/rut.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 am

In early season I wear chest waders and often have to cross trails. Do they work? I don't know I'm no scientist, but in my head they do so I continue to wear em.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:In early season I wear chest waders and often have to cross trails. Do they work? I don't know I'm no scientist, but in my head they do so I continue to wear em.

But are they scentloc?? That's the question
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00 pm

These are plain Jane rubber fishing waders. Normally get them for free do to a fishing buddy getting a hole in em and was gonna throw em away. I just patch em with silicone. All I know is I try to stay downwind of anything deer use and if I brush up against and brush in these they don't smell me or don't care one of the 2
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”