Windyty and Historical Data

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Windyty and Historical Data

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:07 am

I started using the Windyty app on my phone last year.

For those of you who aren't familiar, it is a great tool for current wind direction and speed. I use it a lot when I'm at work to plan what stand options I'll have for the evening hunt. I find the data on this site to be very accurate.

Other than the very cool wind graphics of the site, it has a function to "Historical Wind Data". This function doesn't work though. I see on there Q&A forum that the hosts took the function down last year due to limited use and amount of data storage required. It also goes on to say if there was enough interest in it that they would consider bringing it back.

For those of you who are really into cameras, specifically bed cams, how cool would that be, to know exactly what the wind direction and speed was on the days you got pics of him.

We would all like to think we would know just by the terrain and position of the bed when the buck would be using it, but I bet we would be surprised by how a slightly different wind direction or speed would change things up.

I personally think wind speed is as important if not more important than wind direction at times.

We've all been there... You can sit in a stand with a 10-15 mph SW wind blowing in your favor and it works out great, the same stand with a 0-5 mph SW wind or a 20-25 and your getting constant swirling and back drafts and it sucks. So as much as we try to avoid being scented and hate a swirling wind, why wouldn't a bedded buck want to take advantage of swirling wind in certain situations and a consistent wind direction in others, all driven by wind speed??

If anyone has info on another site that has accurate wind history data ,please share.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Windyty and Historical Data

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 am

Man I really love that site! I shared it a few seasons ago been using it since. There is another one similar but the best part (other than data) is the difference in wind directions across the country. I look forward to the day these wind analysis people have a major advancement and break down the hills so it shows really going on in spots. The Droid app store has 2 if you type in Windy App. There is the windyty and another one that is blue. Both are great. One of them is easier to save locations and view them.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 am

Weather underground also has a wind history feature. I've been using that for awhile, anytime I get a daylight buck pic I will look up the wind direction and speed. I write all that info down and see if there the next pic of him has similar conditions. Helps out alot when hunting new properties, can put up multiple cameras and see how he uses the wind to move around it.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 am

Been using windyty for a while now also. Great app/site
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 am

Just downloaded it. Going to give it a try. Nice graphics.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:02 am

Nice. I like it. 8-)
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:28 am

There is also the iPhone App Windfinder. It is very similar.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 am

Jhand wrote:Weather underground also has a wind history feature. I've been using that for awhile, anytime I get a daylight buck pic I will look up the wind direction and speed. I write all that info down and see if there the next pic of him has similar conditions. Helps out alot when hunting new properties, can put up multiple cameras and see how he uses the wind to move around it.

Thanks Jhand,
That is exactly what I was looking for.
Not the fancy graphics of Wnidyty but if its accurate data who cares.
I have been on weather underground before. I don't know how I could of missed that!
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:51 am

One of the things I find interesting, totally unrelated to hunting is spinning the world around on the app and seeing all the intense storms going on around the world.,especially up around the Bearing sea by Alaska . Before I frequented this app I used to think "Deadlyiest Catch" would only film on the outrageously windy days to hype up the show. If you look on this app during crabbing season you'll see the wind is cranking almost everyday!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 am

The absolute best historic weather website used to be weatherspark. Unfortunately I think they had software licencing issues and it has changed to be much less useful. I miss that site!!

I use wunderground for historic weather - a poor second to what weatherspark used to be though. I also like windtv, its great at showing big picture trends/weather systems.

All the above left me wanting something better so I built a spreadsheet that mines the NWS weather data that I want. I export local data for a year at a time from this site: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datatools/lcd. In reality this is all that the web based applications do in real-time. wunderground, weatherspark, even scoutlook and deerlab.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 am

JoeRE wrote:The absolute best historic weather website used to be weatherspark. Unfortunately I think they had software licencing issues and it has changed to be much less useful. I miss that site!!

I use wunderground for historic weather - a poor second to what weatherspark used to be though. I also like windtv, its great at showing big picture trends/weather systems.

All the above left me wanting something better so I built a spreadsheet that mines the NWS weather data that I want. I export local data for a year at a time from this site: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datatools/lcd. In reality this is all that the web based applications do in real-time. wunderground, weatherspark, even scoutlook and deerlab.

Haha, I did the same thing. Made a spreadsheet using weather underground API so I could track things like percentage change in barometric pressure and temperature trends. The excel format gives a guy a lot of freedom to customize to exactly what he's interested in and track trends easier.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:16 am

Perfect Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”