Mechanical vs Fixed Broadhead Study & Results

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Mechanical vs Fixed Broadhead Study & Results

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:18 am

JoeRE wrote: Experience is the key, every single bow hunter I know including myself had a pretty lousy record the first several seasons. Wish there was something that could be done about that but not sure what.

Im searching through old bookmarks and bumping this one back from the dead. I didnt appreciate this specific comment enough years ago but you may have just helped get me back in a tree stand this year.

Thanks for contributing over the years

tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:41 am

Back to the real world.... I worked for a outfitter after retirement. I have seen it all. I have collected a bucket of junk broadheads.

In Bear camp, the mechanicals all put holes thru the bears, you could paddle a canoe thru, IF, the client listened, and put the head thru the middle. I was very impressed with the mechanicals I saw, which are your standard ones that are advertised all over etc

Just have enough punch out of that bow, and the right arrow........ On Whitetails, well for some reason, guys like to take hard angle quarter shots, why I do not know, but you see a lot of poor penetration on them, with mechs, but the reason, is a guy does not have enough energy, shooting too light of a bow and arrows. One camp I worked at, the owner would not even allow them for deer. Reason, do they work, sure they do, but a lot of these guys that book hunts, just watch TV, buy stuff at Wally World, lay out the money and show up......

For the record, lots of good heads out there, but even a fixed head can do poorly.... Know your bow,,,,, shoot the right arrow and set up..... go to your local pro shop, no a big box store, and get set up right.......................

My favorite mechanical, is NAP Spitfire,,,,, My favorite fixed head for the compounds is the Ram Cat.......................
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:32 am

tundra@1 wrote:,My favorite fixed head for the compounds is the Ram Cat.......................

Yeah buddy! Those ramcats are vicious! They are a pain to target shoot tho
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:20 pm

.... why are they a problem to target shoot? Explain that to me,,,,, I killed a mule deer with one last year at 62 yards in SD...... I will admit they are quiver specific, and I have their quiver, which is too heavy for a bow, and made it a hip quiver,,,,,,, But to use one for practice is easy peasy.... you only need a 1/1600 of a screw to reset,,,,, I do not understand the issue

My friend last year in BC, at age of 75, shot a big horn at 45 yards with one,,,,,,, when I hear the young guys complaining about tough hunts, I just laugh
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 am

tundra@1 wrote:.... why are they a problem to target shoot? Explain that to me,,,,, I killed a mule deer with one last year at 62 yards in SD...... I will admit they are quiver specific, and I have their quiver, which is too heavy for a bow, and made it a hip quiver,,,,,,, But to use one for practice is easy peasy.... you only need a 1/1600 of a screw to reset,,,,, I do not understand the issue

My friend last year in BC, at age of 75, shot a big horn at 45 yards with one,,,,,,, when I hear the young guys complaining about tough hunts, I just laugh

You cant pull them out or they break, you have to push them through and unscrew them or jack up the veins. Worth it though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”