CWD!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

CWD!!!

Unread postby csoult » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:33 am

Unfortunately CWD has been found in wild deer in my area, and I'm pi$$ed. Let me tell you why.... The area was already marked as a CWD area because it was found in penned deer at a deer farm. I think it's time to shut these operations down. At this point it's time to make a decision on what is right for the species not the industry! I hunt just a few miles from where this was found.

http://wjactv.com/news/local/free-range ... eld-county

Grasshopper

Re: CWD!!!

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:37 am

Now that it's near the elk range maybe they will take some serious measures against it. Those elk bring a lot of tourism $$$$ to the area and the game commission and groups like the Rocky mountain elk foundation have a lot invested.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:38 am

that's too bad sorry to hear
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:48 am

I was thinking about heading up to hunt in DMA 3 this year since I might be able to get access to a friends family farm. Might just find some other public elsewhere in the state to try now tho.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:55 am

that's a shame I hope they get it under control. This is right down the road from where I grew up
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:06 am

Having studied CWD since it was found in Wisconsin, I would say your area probably had CWD before it was even found in the captive heard... They tend to find it where ever they look for it, especially if its a clay based soil area.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:32 am

Something positive from all of this, I clicked the link to open air project and listened to Dan's podcast! Another resource for good podcasts found. Dan says " dumb is dead"
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 am

Dan, at one time CWD was relegated to west of the Mississippi. I and many wildlife biologists believe it came east of the Mississippi via moving deer around from one deer farm to another. It is not a coincidence that the discovery of CWD in PA is always very near deer farms. The people who run these places managed to get the PA general assembly to take the controlling authority from the PA Game Commission and given to the PA Dept of Agriculture who could care less about the spread of CWD, the reason it was taken away from the PGC was because they passed regulations to prevent the moment of deer around the state. The states east of the Mississippi should have all banned the farming of ruminant animals before it showed up in the respective states. Once land is contaminated by animals infected with the CWD prion it is so far been impossible to cleanse the area of the prions, time and fire have not been successful in doing so. Saliva, urine and feces all transport the prions from infected animals to other animals. CWD is in the same family of diseases as Mad cow disease which can be passed on to humans. The scary thing about diseases caused by prions is that they have a nasty habit of mutating into a disease that can infect human being. Just because it has not happened yet is no guarantee it will not happen. Once humans start to be infected with CWD it will be too late. The time to close the door is before the horse gets out of the barn. I was a wildlife conservation officer for 33 years and when I started there was no CWD east of the Mississippi, by the time I retired we had it in PA. It didn't fly here on the wind, it was brought here by pen raised deer. PA has the largest number of farmed deer in the country and I am very concerned about the future of deer hunting in my state. You may feel comfortable about eating an infected animal because no one has gotten sick yet. AS for me, I will not hunt an area considered a CWD area because I eat what I kill. It is a mistake for hunters to minimize the potential effects of CWD on deer hunting.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 pm

woodswalker wrote:Dan, at one time CWD was relegated to west of the Mississippi. I and many wildlife biologists believe it came east of the Mississippi via moving deer around from one deer farm to another. It is not a coincidence that the discovery of CWD in PA is always very near deer farms. The people who run these places managed to get the PA general assembly to take the controlling authority from the PA Game Commission and given to the PA Dept of Agriculture who could care less about the spread of CWD, the reason it was taken away from the PGC was because they passed regulations to prevent the moment of deer around the state. The states east of the Mississippi should have all banned the farming of ruminant animals before it showed up in the respective states. Once land is contaminated by animals infected with the CWD prion it is so far been impossible to cleanse the area of the prions, time and fire have not been successful in doing so. Saliva, urine and feces all transport the prions from infected animals to other animals. CWD is in the same family of diseases as Mad cow disease which can be passed on to humans. The scary thing about diseases caused by prions is that they have a nasty habit of mutating into a disease that can infect human being. Just because it has not happened yet is no guarantee it will not happen. Once humans start to be infected with CWD it will be too late. The time to close the door is before the horse gets out of the barn. I was a wildlife conservation officer for 33 years and when I started there was no CWD east of the Mississippi, by the time I retired we had it in PA. It didn't fly here on the wind, it was brought here by pen raised deer. PA has the largest number of farmed deer in the country and I am very concerned about the future of deer hunting in my state. You may feel comfortable about eating an infected animal because no one has gotten sick yet. AS for me, I will not hunt an area considered a CWD area because I eat what I kill. It is a mistake for hunters to minimize the potential effects of CWD on deer hunting.

It may have traveled East with deer farm trading... However, it has been showing up in areas 100's of miles from the nearest deer farm, and somertimes like the case in new mexico, many hundreds of miles from deer farms or other cases. The fact is it also travels thru predators and scavengers like eagles, vultures, coyotes, etc. They can travel or fly hundreds of miles poop, and walla, you have CWD in your area. It also can be found in urine samples... We have not stopped selling urine made in deer farms. Matter of fact we ship it to other countries too... I would say its likely millions of people have eaten infected meat. No one has ever gotten CWD from it. There are other far worse diseases like rabies. What happens if rabies starts transferring thru meat? We better stop eating all animals that live in rabie areas... Wait! thats every where (just like CWD areas) If your scared of getting CWD from eating a deer steak, its like being scared of a meteor hitting you in the head... About the same odds. But, you latterly need to stop eating deer meet from anywhere to avoid it. I remember talking with a biologist from Iowa who when Asked if they had CWD (BEFORE THEY NEW THEY HAD IT) Said Nope. So I askedf why he thought that was, he said simply because we don't test for it.
Any and every place they seriously test for it... They find it. Yea, deer farms don't help. But you ain't stopping it by stopping deer farms.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 pm

Unfortunately we won't stop deer farming. There are a few states that don't allow it. We should also stop the collection and sale of deer urine, they can now reproduce it synthetically. The biggest problem with stopping deer farming and urine sales is the politicians are more worried about the money in taxes it brings in than the welfare of wildlife. I would not be too sure the disease will not mutate to be able to be contracted by other life form, prion diseases have a nasty habit of doing that, there is a reason why deer that are taken in CWD areas in my state must be processed inside the CWD area that there are parts of the animals that may not be removed from the area. Yet Urine is still allowed to be collected and shipped all over the place, makes no sense.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:16 am

When a big rig splatters a deer all over the front of his truck he has the potential to spread prions anywhere he goes, scary. Mad cow is believed to have come from sheep originally, and mutated to effect cows. Now mad cow can effect and kill humans. It's scary.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”