Hunting"'celebrities"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Hunting"'celebrities"

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:41 am

Dewey wrote:
U.P. MAN wrote:Anyone met Roger Raglin? I sometimes get a headache watching his shows and my pulse always goes up. It seems hes going a hundred miles an hour all the time. But when you see his trophy room or "trophy wall" on his show it is absolutely amazing. I dont really know how he hunts though. Kinda one of the pioneers i think.

Roger Raglin is awesome! I met him at the Deer Classic in Green Bay a few years ago. I will never forget his seminar about mature bucks and how to identify them. He had a older heavy set guy stand up turned him sideways and said "now this is what I call a mature buck"! :lol: :lol: The crowd roared with laughter. His seminars are very informative and always very funny. After his seminar I asked him about a buck he shot in northern WI that was in his video Legacy Of A Whitetail Deer Hunter. He had the deer at the show which he showed me and I think it scored over 170". His collection of bucks called "The Wall" is unbelievable even though a large number of them were shot with his rifle.

I've met and talked to Roger several times. Very down to earth guy in my opinion. His seminars are awesome, informative and funny. He's a good motivator. As far as his show, like some of the rest of us, he's gettin old :mrgreen: I've been watchin his videos since the late 80's. He was a of a deer hunter back in the day. Not many out there that can compare with his accomplishments.

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:26 am

as a kid, I met the drury brothers several years ago before they hit it big, they were a couple of pricks back then...
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:49 am

met Greg Miller a few times...he wasn't very nice. I don't get why you would act that way when you depend on "joe average hunter" to keep you alive in the professional hunting scene. Met Lee and Tiffany, I kissed Tiff :lol: ! met the guy who was on arrow affliction ( Chris) he was awesome! Met Unle Lou, he was a nut job :lol: :lol: KIDDING!!!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:06 am

I don't get out much to such social places and never have been to a big sport show to meet the big names.

Only big name guess I met was MR James years ago in the same bear camp. He was leaving and we were just arriving....

Met some big fishing names but if it wasn't for on the "water meetings" wouldn't have met too many of them either.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 pm

I typed a big long response that didnt make it to the new server on those I have met. Oh well, I ended by saying what a treat it was to share a hunt with hotterthantiffany and Greg and Jerry and the rest of those I met at Pigfest 2010.

In summary I have met a few of the "celebrities" in the business at the many hunting shows I have exhibited at. I have also met many of the rank and file hunters at these same shows. Most if not all "celebrities" that I met were more than cordial, but I find the company of the rank and file is where I am the most comfortable.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Interesting old thread. 8-)

Thought I would bump this to the top in case anybody has some new stories to share.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:51 pm

I hunted with Greg Miller at TT in IL... He is confident in his hunting skill set but to me he was a good old WI boy having a drink and chatting in the evenings. If I was choosing one as a hunting role model it would be hands down Bill Winke...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:45 pm

I have met the following "celebrities" and the impression I got:
Dan Infalt- Everyone knows about Dan so I don't need to cover the obvious, I consider him a great friend and we have talked on many occasions and shared hunting camps. Dan is my favorite by far and is your average Joe and not a sell out to sponsors, a straight shooter tell it like it is guy.
Lee and Tiffany- Down to earth and friendly even though they were busy, acts like they do care about you and would talk more if had more time.
Greg and Jake Miller-Jake is very nice, Greg is smart as a whip and I respect him but he is a little short, needs some PR skills, but he is very good, better than most others in my opinion. Both are sponsor sellouts, but I guess they have to pay the bills too.
Larry Weishuhn (spelling) Larry is a great guy, very friendly, very personable, and talks like he has known you for years, a true southern gentleman, one of my favorites.
Michael Waddell-Very friendly, acts just like he does on tv, fun friendly atmosphere.
Nick Mundt-Same as Michael but talks more.
T-Bone-Teh friendliest of the three, talks like your old pals, makes you feel important
Chris Brackett-Acted like he was too good for me to talk to, I have zero respect for Chris.
Ralph and Vicki- They are true role models, they act like old friends of the family, always will take the time to talk and want tolisten to your stories.
Alex Rutledge-One of the friendliest hunting celebrities I have met, a southern family man who has not forgot his roots.
Steve Puppe-Friendly but sort of high on himself
Steve Bartylla-Nice guy, didn't talk a lot but didn't seem like he was in love with himself, he acts like a regular guy.
Gary Clancy- A nice guy and great to talk to, does not act like he knows it all.
Lane Benoit- A nice friendly guy, your average Joe that loves to hunt and seemed like he could care less about the fame, it didn't change him.
Randy Anderson-Rather high on himself.
Jerrd Sheffler (white tail Adrenaline)- Acts like a guy from deer camp, always shakes your hand and has time to talk, and remembers you from past shows without you having to walk up to him. Not huge on the map yet but will go far, and has not forgotten where he came from.
Droptine Diva's-friednly, seemed like they are family people though I lost a lot of respect for them when they tried to Ban shining because people were shining "their deer on their land", seems like the fame is affecting them.
Terry Drury- A nice guy, fun to be around, liked to have a good time.
Byron Ferguson- An honest man who has time to talk to anyone that wants to talk.
Pat Reeve and Nicole- Friendly but seems like the fame is going to their head, still able to talk to them but they dont seem to be able to relate to the average hunter.
Rick White- Was very high on himself when he came on the scene, has since changed 180 degree's and is a friendly man, good to talk to for a long time.
Matt Morrett- your average Joe who acts like one of us, and always has from day one.
Dick Kirby- A family man that always had time for others, would go out of his way to talk and be friendly, RIP Dick.

I am sure I have met others, but I can't remember them all at the moment. I met most of these at either sport shows, or at turkey hunting seminars back when turkey hunting was first getting started, local sporting goods stores would have weekends for seminars and have pro-staffers or game call business owners out.
SEmnBowHunter
Facebook: Collin Slogmaster Giles

Unread postby SEmnBowHunter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 pm

This is a great thread. I've had to chance to meet a couple of celebs when it comes to hunting. Lee and Tiff were great to talk to, very down to earth, and held a good conversation. I had to chance to meet Bill Winke this past june and talk about a great role model. He knows what he's doing, has no problem talking to you about it, and a great family man. I love watching midwest whitetail! I liked talking with Pat and and Nicole and they were fun to talk with sharing some of the same hunting area. I havent heard a good thing about Gregg Miller. Didn't like talking to him for a single minute, and heard a story about how he got started not impressed.
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:34 pm

I really like Lee and Tiffany, they were very nice and Lee is incredibly smart and easy to talk to. Like others have said it seemed like they would keep talking hunting like you have known them for years. I also like Todd Pringnitz quite a bit. Very good guy and you have got to like a guy that is so passionate about hunting that doesnt seem fake. Although he is not on TV but a number of people know who he is and he has made some videos and wrote a book and is definitely my favorite is Tom Indrebo. He will talk to you for hours about whitetails like you have known him your whole life. I have not had the chance to meet Dan yet but I have talked to him on the phone a few times. Dan seems like a great guy you would love to share a deer camp with and I look forward to my first chance to meet him.
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Anyone met Stan Potts?

I love watching that man hunt. He has a heart attack and almost falls out of the tree every time he sees a " big giant ten". He is always throwig it to commercial break after he kills a deer, "Folks I need a minute, I'll be right back!" So fun to watch, seem down to earth, and has a true passion for hunting.

What is he really like?

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Knute78 wrote:Anyone met Stan Potts?

I love watching that man hunt. He has a heart attack and almost falls out of the tree every time he sees a " big giant ten". He is always throwig it to commercial break after he kills a deer, "Folks I need a minute, I'll be right back!" So fun to watch, seem down to earth, and has a true passion for hunting.

What is he really like?

Funny you asked...a good customer of mine ran into Stan at a Ponderosa this fall while hunting in Illinois. Got some pics with him and had a good chat. Sounded like he was a very nice guy, very dedicated. He also mentioned something about Stan shooting a 180 and a 130 in that area. He must have been hunting with his wife?? Can't remember exactly
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Hunting shows are so competative and money driven I can understand how some of the guys get a little bitter. I respect Greg Miller for what he has done, but could tell from watching some of his shows and videos if he got mad he would take his ball and go home. His new show with his son to me stinks. Way to scripted, over produced. Its like a hunting infomercial.

I like Tim Wells, Relentless Pursuit. He is one heck of bow shot and hunts to hunt. Every and all critters.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:39 am

Tim Wells is one of the most entertaining hunters to watch.. Ever seen his pursuit for a wolf with his bow? That was awesome.

It's pretty dissipointing to hear some of you have had negative experiences with these guys who are apparently high on themselves. In the grand scheme of things, the only difference between them and the guy next door who has a wall of impressive bucks is one is in the spot light and the other isn't. I say, if you're in it for fame, you're in it for all the wrong reasons. Afterall, this is hunting, not movie starring or lead singer of a band. I know a very large network of local hunters in SE Wisconsin who have 10-20 bucks scoring P&Y and B&C and they'll be damned to exploit their success. These guys are some of the classiest and most respectable hunters to me and they don't sign autographs ;)
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:32 am

I've met a few. Dan and Guy Fitzgerald are great guys. Nudge, I was a big fan until I met him . I met Tom Miranda years ago at a trapping convention and he talked to me for over a hour about trapping and seemed to really be into it, He actually approached me and started talking and we probably would have kept going but he had to leave to get to the airport. A lot of celebs are nothing more that hype now days imo but some are really great people with incredible skill. People are people some good some bad. I wish I could have met Fred Bear that would have been a great honor.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”