Hunting"'celebrities"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Hunting"'celebrities"

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:41 am

I met greg ritz at a qdma national banquette a few years ago. Show wasnt to busy at the time and he talked about t/c muzzleloaders and what bullets to shoot for about a half hour. I think for me the impression is they look you in the eye and genuinly want to talk to you. Larry weisuhn was at the show also,he was very busy and couldnt talk long but you knew was giving you the time of day. Seems like you can just tell. I still admire greg millers accomplishments.

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:49 am

Ive met Lee and Tiffany... really down to earth people. All the people were going after Tiff, so I had a one on one talk with Lee. Cool guy. Larry Weishun (sp) was a pretty nice guy. I have the same impression of Greg Miller as most.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:56 am

huntinnurse wrote:Hey Wap (and anyone else that posts), what was it that gave you those impressions? Care to elaborate? Something impressed you in a positive and a negative way. If you are willing to drop a couple names, fill us in on your interpretation.
I think we forget all these people are human, and as such, all have good and bad days. Sometimes we see sides of both coins, sometimes only one.
It was about 9yrs or so ago met them at Bass Pro. This was before all of the Dream Season shows.At that time I didn't watch them much so I really did not know who they were.I went up to their booth I was the only one there and started talking to them and Terry is a heck of a nice guy. Sit there and talk for 15 min or so.Mark just kind of had an arrogant attitude like he was better than everybody.
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:36 am

Greg is a not a good guy. Ever wonder why Jeff aint with the show anymore. Can't even share the spotlight with his own brother. Pathetic that a "hunting" buisness can come between family. Aint hard to shoot big bucks over bait, late season, & snow helps. AND I'm sick of seeing his show and calling 2 yr old deer, mature bucks (3 or 4) or whatever they make up at the time. Ya, they'd know how anyways, pry never been on the property before the sit, film and shoot.
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:03 am

On the flip side, my brother recently met Randy Ulmer and Jim Shockey at a show and had really good things to say about them. Overall stand-up guys in his opinion. Said 'most' of the "others" associated with only each other and didn't give most people the time of day, unless of course, you are a "big name," or in line for an autograph.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 am

I've met some. Don't care to meet anymore after meeting dan Infalt ;) John Eberhart would be cool to meet though because I envy his and Dan's style of hunting so much! 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:43 pm

As far as makers of hunting video's I've met Barry and Gene Wensel and Dan Infalt. I can't say enough good things about the Wensel brothers. Barry was my favorite of the 2 brothers. Meeting Dan was awesome as well. Opened up a whole new book of hunting for me, thank you sir.

I've been pretty active with the P&Y club as well. My dad has been a member their for 25+ years and took us to P&Y conventions 2 different times while I was a kid. I've been a member there for 13 years. Great club If you ask me. While I was a kid I've gotten to meet Glen St. Charles a few times when he was still alive, John (Jack) Frost, Fred Asbell a number of times (great guy), Myles Keller a few times, Chuck Adams (didn't care for him In the least), Chuck Kroll (I think that was his last name), MR James, and a few others I can't think of right now. I'm heading to the P&Y convention that will be In Mn this year so maybe I'll stumble upon one of these guys again and shoot the BS or maybe even meet up with others I haven't yet got to talk with.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Besides hanging out with Dan and him teaching me how to bowfish, and working a few shows with him, I have met several I liked but only a couple that impressed me.
Dan's open, welcoming attitude drew me in and made me want to get to know him and his hunting style better. I am sorry I never got a chance to actually hunt with him.
2 others that i really like to spend time with when I get a chance is Ralph and Vicki. They are the most down to earth, "don't take ourselves to serious" hunting personalities I believe out there. One of these days if I can arrange my schedule to match theirs, I will hunt with Vicki and Ralph can come along if he wants!!!!!! :mrgreen:
The 3 mentioned are the only ones I have made Brownies for. They rank in my book.
One I would absolutely love to meet and have some detailed conversation with (and a dream hunt of mine) would be Jim Shockey. If I could have a hunt with him, Hal and Len it would be a dream hunt I would remember forever. I think the memories would make me laugh forever!!!!!
I suppose if I wanted to hunt with Uncle Ted, I could, he's only about 30-40 minutes from me.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:15 pm

I grew up on watching Babe Winkleman fishing. I never realized until recently that he was big big into hunting as well.Well this morning I happened across is show.It was centered around managing your farm for wildlife.And it turns out that his farm is only 50 miles from me .I,ve proably driven past it a hundred times,weird.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Anyone met Roger Raglin? I sometimes get a headache watching his shows and my pulse always goes up. It seems hes going a hundred miles an hour all the time. But when you see his trophy room or "trophy wall" on his show it is absolutely amazing. I dont really know how he hunts though. Kinda one of the pioneers i think.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:56 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:Anyone met Roger Raglin? I sometimes get a headache watching his shows and my pulse always goes up. It seems hes going a hundred miles an hour all the time. But when you see his trophy room or "trophy wall" on his show it is absolutely amazing. I dont really know how he hunts though. Kinda one of the pioneers i think.

Roger Raglin is awesome! I met him at the Deer Classic in Green Bay a few years ago. I will never forget his seminar about mature bucks and how to identify them. He had a older heavy set guy stand up turned him sideways and said "now this is what I call a mature buck"! :lol: :lol: The crowd roared with laughter. His seminars are very informative and always very funny. After his seminar I asked him about a buck he shot in northern WI that was in his video Legacy Of A Whitetail Deer Hunter. He had the deer at the show which he showed me and I think it scored over 170". His collection of bucks called "The Wall" is unbelievable even though a large number of them were shot with his rifle.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Myles Keller is an awesome guy....Had time to talk to a snot nose, smart kid like me back in "90" and signed the back of a pic. for me....My first P&Y, LOL!!! He signed it "Nice Buck and many more to follow, your friend Myles Keller.

And I'll be damned if there weren't many more to follow...Thank you Myles, your friend "THE Autumn Ninja"!!!

P.S. I killed my first B&C with a Myles Keller signature XI flatliner....SWEET!!!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:Myles Keller is an awesome guy....Had time to talk to a snot nose, smart kid like me back in "90" and signed the back of a pic. for me....My first P&Y, LOL!!! He signed it "Nice Buck and many more to follow, your friend Myles Keller.

And I'll be damned if there weren't many more to follow...Thank you Myles, your friend "THE Autumn Ninja"!!!

Absolutely awesome!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:22 am

Kind of an interesting conversation! I tend to think that each one of us has a certain expectation upon meeting a "celebrity". Or at least for me that is the case,actually it is the case upon meeting any one new. For me most often I get what I expect to get.If I am open minded and humble about my expectations than I seem to have a better experience when meeting someone.
Having said that these guy's are human and have good and bad days like all of us. A lot of great hunters are introverted/loners and being the life of the party isn't natural for them.
I was a little surprised to hear about Schultzy's experience with Chuck Adams, I met CHuck approximately ten years ago at a show and he was very gracious and friendly,I know Schultzy is a nice person and a good guy so his experience with Chuck isn't consistent with the one I had.
I have had pleasant conversations with Barry and Gene Wenzel,MR James,Tom Hoffman (Tom is a great guy!)I have spoken with the Benoits (funny as and great guy's)(The Berniers,very nice gentleman) There has only been one person that I havn't enjoyed being around who I believe seemed arrogant,and it serves no purpose to mention his name. In his case his behavior has consistently impressed me in the same way,over a period of years.
I have spoken to Charles Alsheimer over the telephone and he was inccredibly decent and gracious.
I would like to meet Bil Winke. I have watched his Midwest Whitetail program and I find it to be one of the best. He just seems to have a real pleasant way about him. I have read many articles of his over the years.
I guess a lesson for all of us is to realize evry time we meet someone or interact with someone we need to be paying attention. When we become famous we don't want folks spreading info about what a jerk we were! :)
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Yea Bill Winke is someone i would like to meet also.Seems like a humble down to earth family man. A new friend of mine just moved here from iowa. Hes a retired vet. He is very good friends with the wenzels,he has some cool stories. Hes a traditional archer as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”