Where to look for doe bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Deuce280

Where to look for doe bedding?

Unread postby Deuce280 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:16 am

After reading thru the forums, Ive learned to look for big buck beds in hill country 1/3 of the way down points on the leeward side. But where do I looking for doe specific bedding? The same areas only thicker cover?
Also, has anyone tried to use these tactics to harvest doe in order to sharpen your skills? We have a few doe only early seasons in PA and it would be neat to give it a try.

hunter_mike

Re: Where to look for doe bedding?

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:24 am

Anywhere you are finding lots of hot sign in large quantities, you are likely near doe bedding. Lots of times you can walk through an area and bump does and count on them being in the same spot next time.

Seems like the does bed similarly to bucks and often times the bedding areas overlap, I just dont think the does bed as tacticallly as the bucks and it seems like they can bed in some odd places that arent nearly as secure as a buck bedding area.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 am

Deuce280 wrote:After reading thru the forums, Ive learned to look for big buck beds in hill country 1/3 of the way down points on the leeward side. But where do I looking for doe specific bedding? The same areas only thicker cover?
Also, has anyone tried to use these tactics to harvest doe in order to sharpen your skills? We have a few doe only early seasons in PA and it would be neat to give it a try.

I usually find them bedded in the middle of all my access routes... :P
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:16 am

hunter_mike wrote:
Seems like the does bed similarly to bucks and often times the bedding areas overlap, I just dont think the does bed as tacticallly as the bucks and it seems like they can bed in some odd places that arent nearly as secure as a buck bedding area.

The size of the doe group seems to be the defining factor.

A doe and a skipper will bed more tactically than a group of six does. A group of does will often bed in a loose circle where they can watch for danger in different directions.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:
Deuce280 wrote:After reading thru the forums, Ive learned to look for big buck beds in hill country 1/3 of the way down points on the leeward side. But where do I looking for doe specific bedding? The same areas only thicker cover?

I usually find them bedded in the middle of all my access routes... :P

Or 5 feet from my climber :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:33 pm

I'm curious to hear some of these replies!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:24 pm

I have heard dan say in more than one podcast the does will often bed up on the hilltops in the same areas as buck bedding, and i know i heard him say he see this alot, it is one reason you should be on alert when in route to a stand set. I have heard sevral times they tend to like a more open area close to thick cover too, like said above, they bed in a circular fashion, on more of a rounded spot than step! I think they talked about some doe bedding tendencies in the first hill country dvd some.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:51 pm

You cant overlook doe bedding "behind the barn". That is to say the doe only bedding areas that I find are often very close to human activity. I have a few doe bedding areas that are like satellites to my house and barn. I think they like the protection that is associated with humans, bears, coyotes and bobcats are less likely to hound them in areas like this.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
JP<><

Re: Where to look for BUCK bedding?

Unread postby JP<>< » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:51 pm

I scout State Lands in the Catskills NY for buck beds and scout and find some rubs and scapes some poop even see a doe get up and move now and then and get trail cam picks of 8-10 pointers but I am getting concerned about getting lost in the woods without proper gps etc and still no buck beds have been found by me.
How far are these mature bucks traveling at night?
I must be missing something...... :think:
JP <><
JP<><

Unread postby JP<>< » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi I am going to give 5C in PA a try with a doe permit in September.
Have you hunted 5C in PA?

I scout State Lands in the Catskills NY for buck beds and scout and find some rubs and scapes some poop even see a doe get up and move now and then and get trail cam picks of 8-10 pointers but I am getting concerned about getting lost in the woods without proper gps etc and still no buck beds have been found by me.
How far are these mature bucks traveling at night?
I must be missing something...... :think:
JP <><

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”