Hill Country Advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Famous.

Hill Country Advice

Unread postby Famous. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:50 pm

First time poster. But I have been following this site for awhile.

A little background first, I have been a fairly successful bow hunter harvesting 5 bucks in the last 7 years (8 points 13-17 inch spreads) all on state ground but I am really trying to step up my game. I know there are much bigger bucks in the area because I have seen them over the years but I just never could seal the deal (winded, picked off, skirted).

Now to the point of the post. I have watched both of Dans hill country and farm country DVDs a few times. I have learned a lot of useful information but I am really struggling on putting some of these hill country tactics to use. The area I hunt seems to be rolling hills made up of a few farm fields on top surrounded by thousands of mature hardwoods, creek bottoms, and some clear cuts here and there.

The farm I am able to access through gets pounded by hunters. I have found that I need to get at least 1-2 miles back in (away from paths) to see consistent day light movement. All the tops and hill sides seem to be open woods, spread out deer trails, and no smaller funnels. They cross these areas but it seems like it's never in the same spot. Maybe the trails are harder to see? Maybe I just don't know what to look for in these areas?

Where I find all the consistent deer movement is at the bottom of these long sloping hills near the creeks where it starts to get brushy, weedy, slightly wet (wouldn't say swamp). After watching and reading here it seems like hunting these areas is a big no no due to wind and access. That could be the reason I haven't seemed to connect on the older bucks. I guess my question is should I continue to focus on these thicker bottoms and be more cautious of the wind and my entrance/exit? Or maybe give the more open hill sides a chance? If so what should I look for when it seems like you can see hundreds of yards in all directions? I am just wondering if I am missing out on the big bucks cruising on top.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill Country Advice

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm

The big piece of the puzzle you seem to be missing based on your description is bedding.... To see daylight movement and kill big bucks you need to hunt where they move in daylight. Near there bedroom. Its not always how far back you get, a lot of my biggest have come from over looked stuff along the road everyone walks past.
Also, 1 of the frequent stages I see of a hunter is when they step up to killing 2.5 year olds ( which is about what you described killing ) They seem to have a hard time stepping up to the next class of buck, and thats because hunting mature bucks is like hunting a whole different species. Hunting 2 year olds and expecting 5 year olds is like hunting rabbits but expecting squirrels.
They could be in those thicker bottoms if the hills are to open, they could be right by the road, right behind a house, or way the heck back there... The only way to really know is to scout, and try to determine where they bed.
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 pm

I am in the same boat as famous . I seem I have alot of things going for me except for bedding. I have never been able to find the bedding areas or "bedroom". I could very easily be over looking evrything. I have read so much that I feel like I am just turning circles and don't know where to start.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:22 am

Something i could add, is dont be looking for those wore down dirt beds all the time. There not always there. Alot of the times its multiable lessed used beds ( the ones that look like the maybe bedded 3 or 4 times) in an area, like 7 or 8 beds in an area or maybe more that could be buck bedding. Just in this past year i have found 10 or 12 for sure buck bedding areas with sevral beds in an area but i have only found two beds since beast scout that were wore to the dirt and those were in swamp ground not hills. I know they show those kinda beds on the beast but there not all that way. Some people even confuse them for doe bedding, i done that early on too. Just something else to think about while scouting.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Famous.

Unread postby Famous. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:17 pm

dan wrote:The big piece of the puzzle you seem to be missing based on your description is bedding.... To see daylight movement and kill big bucks you need to hunt where they move in daylight. Near there bedroom. Its not always how far back you get, a lot of my biggest have come from over looked stuff along the road everyone walks past.
Also, 1 of the frequent stages I see of a hunter is when they step up to killing 2.5 year olds ( which is about what you described killing ) They seem to have a hard time stepping up to the next class of buck, and thats because hunting mature bucks is like hunting a whole different species. Hunting 2 year olds and expecting 5 year olds is like hunting rabbits but expecting squirrels.
They could be in those thicker bottoms if the hills are to open, they could be right by the road, right behind a house, or way the heck back there... The only way to really know is to scout, and try to determine where they bed.

Thanks for the help. What your saying seems spot on. Up until the last year or so I was just happy to take a 2.5 year old on state ground with my bow where few were successful in archery season. But that sense of accomplishment has faded over the past year and I am ready to take that next step in my evolution as a hunter.

If I am being honest with myself your correct. I think the one area I haven't really put enough focus on is buck bedding. It just seems almost impossible in a setting I described above. I have observed deer bedding on the hill sides but it almost seems erratic. To me it seems like there is no real reason for a buck to bed in 1 spot vs 500 yards over there. I use to hunt these areas but would struggle to find consistent trails as they passed through these areas. I am suspecting the reason I am seeing most of the daytime activity in the bottoms is because that's where I can pin point consistent deer bedding areas due to cover. Is this typical for the type of terrain I described?

Due to my job outside of a hunt or two my bow hunting consists of 10 days in the first two weeks of Novemeber. I have relied on hunting travel funnels during the rut. Most of my setups have been in funnels near thick areas with suspected deer bedding. Would you back off this type of setup during November and place a higher emphasis on specifically locating buck bedding in these areas? Is it possible I am hunting these funnels where the big boys know not to travel?

I appreciate everyone's help. Having never focused on buck bedding before this has been difficult.
Famous.

Unread postby Famous. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Rockytophunter wrote:I am in the same boat as famous . I seem I have alot of things going for me except for bedding. I have never been able to find the bedding areas or "bedroom". I could very easily be over looking evrything. I have read so much that I feel like I am just turning circles and don't know where to start.

I am glad I am not the only one! I am wondering if I am over looking the obvious as well. I know deer bed on the hill sides in the mature hardwoods because I have seen them but I guess I have really never spotted that mature bucks bedroom. If I was a mature buck I would have a hard time feeling safe in these areas but now I am starting to second guess myself.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:36 pm

dan wrote:The big piece of the puzzle you seem to be missing based on your description is bedding.... To see daylight movement and kill big bucks you need to hunt where they move in daylight. Near there bedroom. Its not always how far back you get, a lot of my biggest have come from over looked stuff along the road everyone walks past.

Yep, that's me. I remember one hunt last season it hit me " I've had shots at a bunch of bucks this week that I don't want to shoot.... The big guys are somewhere else."

Once in a while I read a quote that will slap me across the face on here. It just happened again.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Famous. wrote:

Thanks for the help. What your saying seems spot on. Up until the last year or so I was just happy to take a 2.5 year old on state ground with my bow where few were successful in archery season. But that sense of accomplishment has faded over the past year and I am ready to take that next step in my evolution as a hunter.

If I am being honest with myself your correct. I think the one area I haven't really put enough focus on is buck bedding. It just seems almost impossible in a setting I described above. I have observed deer bedding on the hill sides but it almost seems erratic. To me it seems like there is no real reason for a buck to bed in 1 spot vs 500 yards over there. I use to hunt these areas but would struggle to find consistent trails as they passed through these areas. I am suspecting the reason I am seeing most of the daytime activity in the bottoms is because that's where I can pin point consistent deer bedding areas due to cover. Is this typical for the type of terrain I described?

Due to my job outside of a hunt or two my bow hunting consists of 10 days in the first two weeks of Novemeber. I have relied on hunting travel funnels during the rut. Most of my setups have been in funnels near thick areas with suspected deer bedding. Would you back off this type of setup during November and place a higher emphasis on specifically locating buck bedding in these areas? Is it possible I am hunting these funnels where the big boys know not to travel?

I appreciate everyone's help. Having never focused on buck bedding before this has been difficult.

Big bucks don't bed in sporadic locations. They bed in specific spots for specific reasons. I suspect the random bedding your seeing occur is not mature bucks... Do you have the hill bedding DVD? if not you might want to get it. It really spells out what to look for, and there are a lot of things that can't really be told, but rather need to be shown in video format. I also have some free video's on my youtube page about hunting hill terrain. The link is in my signature.
Rut, I am still hunting bedding, but funnels can come into play. Your probably not going to shoot a 5 year old buck on an open hillside even in rut. You need to be where they move in daylight if you want consisitant mature success. I find a lot of guys that want to step up to that next level try and go 1/2 way. They throw a hunt or two at big bucks but still hunt the field edge or funnel they got that nice buck in 5 years ago... You need to go all in if you want success. I would never waste a hunt by specifically targeting a 2 year old, or a doe hunt. That don't mean I would never shoot one, but what it does mean is your not in the game for big bucks if your hunting little deer, but you can take a little deer while your hunting big bucks if you must. You need to throw a lot of stands at big bucks to get big bucks, like musky fishing, you need to keep casting over and over. If your catching bluegills along the bank your probably not going to hook a musky. it might happen, but do you want to catch one or two musky in your lifetime? or consistently catch them? Answer is you might have to give up bluegills.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Solid advice from Dan right there! You gotta be patient with these new techniques and really stick with them. Definitely a learning curve and the only way to get better at hunting mature bucks is to work harder and also smarter at it. Step out of your comfort zone and try new things. I changed a lot of things around a few yrs back when I started to target older deer. I wasn't seeing as many deer as when I set up on field edges and heavy trails but I would see more mature deer in close range than ever before. And since I found this site with all the expert advice, I'm working to really hone in on those skills and you can do the same if you stick with it. Just put in the time and be willing to try new things.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:09 am

dan wrote:Answer is you might have to give up bluegills.

that's the biggest leap right there
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:06 am

Dan are you referring to trying several different setups once you find a mature buck? I know there are alot of different factors that play in setting up on a mature buck. Also can you post a link to the bedding dvd?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:22 am

A popular older thread is a good read. Sorry for no direct link but it is

Are small bucks stringing you along

The timing of your hunts comes into play. Early season, rut and late season all in hills will play out a little different. And the best BEST time for hills is rut. Maybe venture out to other options at other times.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:19 am

Rockytophunter wrote:Dan are you referring to trying several different setups once you find a mature buck? I know there are alot of different factors that play in setting up on a mature buck. Also can you post a link to the bedding dvd?

My reference was to focus on mature buck bedding... Its hard not to get detailed without writing a book in this thread. But, its likely going to have some certain characteristics... Over looked areas, thick edge areas, and leeward slopes... Likely a combination of two or more.

Here is a link to the DVD I mentioned. http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/hbshop/d ... dding.html

Its 2 disc's and quite long, so it is a little expensive. For the free ones click on the you tube link in my signature and scroll thru my video's looking for ones with hill or thermal in the title, the best ones are probably buried a little.
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:00 am

Thanks. Just ordered the dvd.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:00 am

I think one of the more understated portions of hunting "Mature" bucks is the fact that not every piece of property or terrain even will hold mature deer. Without getting into the various reasons why, I think as hunters you have to have the confidence in your knowledge and scouting that if you have put the work in on a property and your not seeing the size and or age of deer you want to hunt. You have to be willing to move on to new ground.

I have realized this for myself recently and thats why I have decided to find new ground. Some of the land I hunt I have not fully explored, but I am certain I know where the mature deer are not.

While this may seem obvious to some, i think its a rather important topic that isnt discussed or talked about. Maybe I just havent seen those threads.

For us hunters in the northeast I think this is a harder task because of terrain mostly and the fact that much of the land I hunt and have access to are like rolling hills. However I still believe the tactics I have learned here apply to how deer bed. I think JoeRE said once, the number one thing a big buck looks for in any terrain is "Security" so despite how a property lays out, I always try to keep that in mind and think what here makes a buck feel most secure.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”