I PHONE GPS VS GARMIN/HAND HELD?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Re: I PHONE GPS VS GARMIN/HAND HELD?

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 am

cbay wrote: The gps signal has gotten a little slow on my current phone so i took an old phone (not activated), used wifi and downloaded my Gaia gps / data along with my maps and it works perfect!

Very cool idea cbay!

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
cbay wrote: The gps signal has gotten a little slow on my current phone so i took an old phone (not activated), used wifi and downloaded my Gaia gps / data along with my maps and it works perfect!

Very cool idea cbay!

A real gps may be more accurate and reliable, i don't know, but when i checked on the prices i ran to the junk drawer and gave it a try. So far so good.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:00 am

I do this with my old iPhone, and will probably do the same this fall when I replace the one I have.
My current backup phone has a Mophie case that has a built in 120% battery, so I have never run out of battery. I still carry a separate backup charger just in case.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:28 am

I was always under the impression that your phone itself is not a GPS. It get's it GPS signal through a cell tower.
When I hunt Minnesota, there is multiple spots I don't have any cell service and also don't have reception for any GPS driven app either.
Do I have this wrong or maybe it's just my crappy old Samsung phone?
troutbum21

Unread postby troutbum21 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:43 am

I always use my Magellan Triton 400. The interface can be clunky and it requires me to carry spare batteries, but my phone doesn't work 99% of the time where I hunt. I also like being able to digitally scout an area and then punch in the latitude and longitude for a specific area I want to check out and then I can walk right to it.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Scoutlook app. I have it on my phone and I enjoy using it for the satellite imagery and the terrain map. It also provides a little image of which direction your scent is blowing and you can keep a log for each waypoint you put into it. If I had cell phone reception where I hunt, I think I would give it a try.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:48 am

troutbum21 wrote:I always use my Magellan Triton 400. The interface can be clunky and it requires me to carry spare batteries, but my phone doesn't work 99% of the time where I hunt. I also like being able to digitally scout an area and then punch in the latitude and longitude for a specific area I want to check out and then I can walk right to it.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Scoutlook app. I have it on my phone and I enjoy using it for the satellite imagery and the terrain map. It also provides a little image of which direction your scent is blowing and you can keep a log for each waypoint you put into it. If I had cell phone reception where I hunt, I think I would give it a try.

I love the Scoutlook app. I have most of my best stand sites on there and use it all the time. The Scent Cone option is awesome. I use it mainly for planning hunts using wind direction info and also the great aerial views. Rarely use it for navigation since my GPS does a much better job.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:18 am

Hatchetman wrote:I was always under the impression that your phone itself is not a GPS. It get's it GPS signal through a cell tower.
When I hunt Minnesota, there is multiple spots I don't have any cell service and also don't have reception for any GPS driven app either.
Do I have this wrong or maybe it's just my crappy old Samsung phone?

It has always worked for me (two different "smart" phones). My understanding is the gps sensor in the phone is independent of cellular service (or can be depending on your gps app...)
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”