Jon Eberhardt on wired to hunt ....interesting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Jon Eberhardt on wired to hunt ....interesting

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:45 am

Interesting podcasts for sure. Mark k made a really good comment at the beginning about taking something from everyone and learn from it.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/07/06/wired-to-hunt-podcast-159-john-eberharts-tactics-for-tough-to-kill-big-bucks/

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Jon Eberhardt on wired to hunt ....interesting

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:50 am

Another guy who shares my love for hunting apples. :D
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:07 am

His one last word of parting advice? The very best piece? S c e n t. C o n t r o l. :think:
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:12 am

Will have to listen to it this afternoon when I get off work
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:18 am

Wonder where he got the idea to do scouting workshops!!!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:29 am

I listened to it the other day. Some good stuff. Obviously he knows how to kill big bucks. He seems to have his system down and it works well for him.

He is doing a couple seminars locally here in Michigan I am gonna try n check out. He is also doing a workshop. At 600 dollars for the workshop I will have to pass.
SE_trad_hunter

Unread postby SE_trad_hunter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:45 am

The guys been successful, hard to criticize as hes definetly dome better than me. But i found it really odd that he pays zero attention to the wind. Not only to get close, but to pick a spot in relation to bedding. Part of me thinks hes so high up and in the right place, if he had milkweed it would prove his scent is missing the deer.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:46 am

He is great. Can't argue with his success.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:48 am

Though I've found a great deal of education and tips from him in the past- this sounded like and infirmercisl and retirement plan for him. Caught a couple,contradictions as well....low and behold he is a bed hunting pro from way back too. Not to be hard on him- but Dan is the one of a very few hunting industry guys of integrity and know how....add John to the pile of others.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Alfarah50

Unread postby Alfarah50 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:02 am

Never have I ever heard someone swear so hard by a product. This guy makes ScentLok sound like its magic. I don't buy it one bit. The day I started taking wind/thermals serious seems to be about the time where I started noticing an influx in deer sightings, as well as executing entrance/exit strategies.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:36 am

Good podcast with John as usual. I found it interesting that he is about to start workshops even if he has to burn his own spot.

cbigbear wrote:Wonder where he got the idea to do scouting workshops!!!!

:lol: I thought the same thing! And at $600 a pop!? I'll continue to read and learn by my own failures as many of the consistent killers have.

gjs4 wrote:Caught a couple,contradictions as well....low and behold he is a bed hunting pro from way back too.

Caught all this as well!

The guys proven successful I mean listen to his stats he rattles off in the beginning :o my biggest take away was the taking away from everyone and learning from it! I think that and learning about every type of terrain will benefit a person even if they only hunt one specific type. Everyone has their own unique situation therefore everyone should develop their own unique way about things. These successful hunters such as Dan, JoeRE, Eberhart, etc to me are laying down the basic ground rules but it's up to the individual hunter to truly identify what's going on.

Oh and the scent control thing, every time he speaks he speaks of it! Did anyone read his journal on Scentlok?
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:43 am

SCGator wrote:The guys been successful, hard to criticize as hes definetly dome better than me. But i found it really odd that he pays zero attention to the wind. Not only to get close, but to pick a spot in relation to bedding. Part of me thinks hes so high up and in the right place, if he had milkweed it would prove his scent is missing the deer.

I also found it strange that he doesn't factor wind into his strategy at all. There is another Michigan hunter featured on W2H who also disregards wind. It's crazy, I am so stinkin' confused with what to think about scent. I have a pretty strict regimen myself, but not to the level of scent crusher and Ozonics. I just can't imagine having a machine running above me in a stand. On the other hand, I am interested in smoking my clothes b/c I have heard it work for guys AND I have a smoker b/c I'm also a beekeeper and could smoke the heck out of myself for almost nothing. But I am nervous to try it. :naughty:
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:06 am

I'm not saying it works, but just explaining the theory of ignoring the wind - the basis is you have to (try to) remove scent from everything, body, clothes, bow, stand, sticks, pack and everything in it, all the way down to your snickers bar wrapper. Obviously you can't actually be scent free, but when the deer does catch your wind it's watered down enough to make him think it's 3 or 4 days old, not present. It's a level of commitment most people (like us) don't want to take.

Most people on here simply put more thought into staying out of the buck's wind, and are just as successful.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 am

ODH wrote:I'm not saying it works, but just explaining the theory of ignoring the wind - the basis is you have to (try to) remove scent from everything, body, clothes, bow, stand, sticks, pack and everything in it, all the way down to your snickers bar wrapper. Obviously you can't actually be scent free, but when the deer does catch your wind it's watered down enough to make him think it's 3 or 4 days old, not present. It's a level of commitment most people (like us) don't want to take.

Most people on here simply put more thought into staying out of the buck's wind, and are just as successful.

And lot cheaper i may add! :twocents-mytwocents:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:37 am

tbunao wrote:Good podcast with John as usual. I found it interesting that he is about to start workshops even if he has to burn his own spot.

cbigbear wrote:Wonder where he got the idea to do scouting workshops!!!!

:lol: I thought the same thing! And at $600 a pop!? I'll continue to read and learn by my own failures as many of the consistent killers have.

gjs4 wrote:Caught a couple,contradictions as well....low and behold he is a bed hunting pro from way back too.

Caught all this as well!

The guys proven successful I mean listen to his stats he rattles off in the beginning :o my biggest take away was the taking away from everyone and learning from it! I think that and learning about every type of terrain will benefit a person even if they only hunt one specific type. Everyone has their own unique situation therefore everyone should develop their own unique way about things. These successful hunters such as Dan, JoeRE, Eberhart, etc to me are laying down the basic ground rules but it's up to the individual hunter to truly identify what's going on.

Oh and the scent control thing, every time he speaks he speaks of it! Did anyone read his journal on Scentlok?

I listen to all of it. Some of it does not apply. Some of it does not. Same thing I do on the beast. Many guys will throw out EVERYTHING because of ONE THING. But there is stuff to pick up on in all of it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”