Resident Hunting Fees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

troutbum21

Re: Resident Hunting Fees

Unread postby troutbum21 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:22 am

PA is trying to do something similar to Delaware. The only problem is that our state legislators have to approve any license fee increase. The last license fee increase in PA was in 1998. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to run my household on a budget from 1998.

The Game Commission is regarded by many as the devil. They rant and rave about how few deer there are on the land that they hunt (even though their family shot 10 does off that same land two years ago) and they do not travel more than 1/2 mile from their vehicle. They blame the Game Commission and do not support a license fee increase. I see many letters in local hunting publications from these types who swear they are done hunting if a fee increase goes through.

Just for the record, I will pay $73.40 when it is all said and done. I pay $20.90 for the general license (1 buck, 2 turkey, and small game), $16.90 for an archery permit. I also apply for two doe permits at $6.90 a piece and then there are some special doe permits (DMAP tags) ($10.90 a piece) that allow me to take a deer in a specific area that I bought 2 of. There are lots of other permits (muzzleloader, etc.) that I could buy that would easily push my license cost to $100.

$73.40 is an absolute steal for what it allows me to hunt. Technically, I could shoot 4 doe and 1 buck for that amount.

It's interesting to read what it is like in other states.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:43 am

It's about $100 here for the sportsman license(all state hunting/fishing). I bought a lifetime 6yrs ago for $1000 so I'm getting close to square on that deal. I have 3 boys and they got lifetimes for there first Christmas. I figured they weren't going to remember it anyway. They were $400.

In most instances the lifetime license fee goes into a trust and that trust is part of what is used to purchase public properties. At least that's the deal here.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:50 am

Iowa likes to separate things out, you buy a hunting license then add in deer tags and turkey tags. I'm on my last year of a three year fishing license ($53) and a three year hunting license with habitat stamp ($86). I bought a trout stamp at $12.50 each year, as they don't sell a 3 year.

Deer tags are $28.50, turkey tags are $24.50. A person can get a second doe tag for $13, but I haven't been shooting does lately.

This year I will spend $140 for fishing, hunting, 2 deer and 1 turkey.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:28 pm

My state keeps going up and im not seeing anything more benifical happen to my states deer herd.

To get a sportsmans license that covers everythings 170.00 its almost the non resident cost of some states like Indiana and Wisconsin.

We get too kill 2 bucks but in 2014 the license was 120 dollers to kill 3 bucks.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”