W2H Interview: Bowhunter4life

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: W2H Interview: Bowhunter4life

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:58 am

8-)

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:11 am

Good read! Thanks for doing the interview. Your one of the guys on this site that impresses me
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 am

Who is this guy? I faintly remember him from high school, but sure was glad to see him move a couple counties over so I'd have a chance! Haha. Congrats BH4L, nice to see hometown boys get a little recognition!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:00 pm

SEMObowhunter wrote:Who is this guy? I faintly remember him from high school, but sure was glad to see him move a couple counties over so I'd have a chance! Haha. Congrats BH4L, nice to see hometown boys get a little recognition!

Now that is funny! :lol: Im also glad hes half a days drive from me.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:
SEMObowhunter wrote:Who is this guy? I faintly remember him from high school, but sure was glad to see him move a couple counties over so I'd have a chance! Haha. Congrats BH4L, nice to see hometown boys get a little recognition!

Now that is funny! :lol: Im also glad hes half a days drive from me.

Haha nice one fellas. Hey I'm definitely not upset to live counties away from either you two. Last thing I want is to be treading the same woods as another beast, especially either one of you two. So yeah, let's keep our distance!! :lol:
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:59 am

BH4L, The one buck you described that you killed during the rut by finally getting fed up and walking into the doe beds to find put qhere they were and get in on the action.... thats a great tip. Its been talked about some but not a ton.

I've noticed deer coming right back into the thickets after bumping them when there's a hot doe in there. I haven't capitalized on it yet but it's a good way to find the action.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:54 am

DeerDylan wrote:BH4L, The one buck you described that you killed during the rut by finally getting fed up and walking into the doe beds to find put qhere they were and get in on the action.... thats a great tip. Its been talked about some but not a ton.

I've noticed deer coming right back into the thickets after bumping them when there's a hot doe in there. I haven't capitalized on it yet but it's a good way to find the action.

This tactic is one of my favorites, highly effective! Since applying this, I havent really sat down much in the stand. What iv found is that if the rut is truly on, I can walk right on top of does and sometimes they dont even move. That varies public to private but its worked on both for me. I can climb a tree 40-50yds away and get away w it. Iv walked in early morning and shined them w a red light, they dont move...especially older does. :think: I think they are too tired from being dogged by bucks 24/7 and unless you have antlers or teeth ~ they arent moving! The younger ones are quicker to jump up on their feet but if that mature doe or lead doe doesnt move, they will stay close. Last year I tried climbing a tree at 35 yards away from 4 does in crp grass, a younger buck pinned them down. I only got 10ft up and one saw me, blew at me all night... but the rest stayed put. Right before prime time a big buck got up and started after them. I look at all the doe beds on a map, choose the best ones and visualize circling routes, connecting the dots from doe bed to doe bed. Young bucks will push does around all day, they will just go from bedding to thick to bedding again. Those thick areas are great places for them to try to hide from bucks. My personal attack plan is setting up tight between x2 doe bedding areas or doe bedding and buck bedding.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:27 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
DeerDylan wrote:BH4L, The one buck you described that you killed during the rut by finally getting fed up and walking into the doe beds to find put qhere they were and get in on the action.... thats a great tip. Its been talked about some but not a ton.

This tactic is one of my favorites, highly effective! Since applying this, I havent really sat down much in the stand. What iv found is that if the rut is truly on, I can walk right on top of does and sometimes they dont even move. That varies public to private but its worked on both for me. I can climb a tree 40-50yds away and get away w it. Iv walked in early morning and shined them w a red light, they dont move...especially older does. :think: I think they are too tired from being dogged by bucks 24/7 and unless you have antlers or teeth ~ they arent moving! The younger ones are quicker to jump up on their feet but if that mature doe or lead doe doesnt move, they will stay close. Last year I tried climbing a tree at 35 yards away from 4 does in crp grass, a younger buck pinned them down. I only got 10ft up and one saw me, blew at me all night... but the rest stayed put. Right before prime time a big buck got up and started after them. I look at all the doe beds on a map, choose the best ones and visualize circling routes, connecting the dots from doe bed to doe bed. Young bucks will push does around all day, they will just go from bedding to thick to bedding again. Those thick areas are great places for them to try to hide from bucks. My personal attack plan is setting up tight between x2 doe bedding areas or doe bedding and buck bedding.

Good stuff man. Seems a lot more productive than grinding out an all day sit when things are slow.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 pm

DeerDylan wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:

Good stuff man. Seems a lot more productive than grinding out an all day sit when things are slow.

I definitely like to be more aggressive in the woods. For myself, it has paid off way more when I'm aggressive and dive in as opposed to sitting back and waiting.

Sure it doesn't always pay off. You learn more too tho. When you dive in you see what is really going on in there. Even if the deer bust out and don't come back you still got to see exactly how they were using the spot and could capitalize on it the following year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”