How bucks bed on timber points on a lake

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

How bucks bed on timber points on a lake

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:55 am

Do you guys find that bucks will bed real close to the water, like on the tip with water on either side? I know that's the case for marshes, but with deep lakes will the mature bucks commonly resort to swimming as an escape?

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: How bucks bed on timber points on a lake

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:25 am

I can't think of anywhere I have hunted with that kind of feature. I'm curious to see what the others have found.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:27 am

I have had better luck on lake point beds when the lake is a lil low. If they get jumped they seem to drop into the dry cove and onto the next point. When lake is full they seem to like it higher up on the point near a drainage from what I can tell.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:59 am

I find beds on points like that but never anything good. They don't like swimming to escape, especially if it's a long way. I can see them swimming 30-40 yards or something but definitely not hundreds.

We've had similar threads in the past and the consensus is a smart buck feels a little too cornered in that situation. If the point is big enough they might be bedded off the water a ways rather than pinning themselves right on the tip.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:02 am

The best beds I know of have bullet proof escape routes. Usually meaning they can sneak out without you ever knowing. Swimming in open water doesn't give them that opportunity.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:14 am

For the most part, they don't.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:25 pm

I have seen both what Lockdown and Boogieman are talking about. I usually see them bed in thick cover 10-25 yards from the water, with J hook just a few yards from the water's edge. These point beds seem to be wind specific. Also evening water thermals in the autumn will suck air straight to the center mass of the lake, sometimes helping the buck leave his bed safely. I also see these beds usually used in early season while everything is thick.

The small drainages on the right side of the pic will have elevation changes, like side hills. Check these for beds if there is thick cover. I usually see these more preferred as beds.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:43 am

I'm curious about this as well. I have a spot similar to this on my list to scout this summer.

I thought they might like it because they can be relatively sure that nothing can sneak up behind them with their back to the water. And with daytime thermals pulling scent up the slope to them, then evening thermals pulling scent back out towards the water, they should be confident. But sounds like escape options are the limiting factor in this type of spot. I'll have to look specifically for that when I check out the spot in mind.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 am

I have not seen them bed against deep lakes much... As mentioned previously, they need a good escape.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:50 am

Lockdown wrote:The best beds I know of have bullet proof escape routes. Usually meaning they can sneak out without you ever knowing. Swimming in open water doesn't give them that opportunity.

I agree 100% the first thing a buck does when detected is get out of sight. The water escape route is too open and slow.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:46 am

I have seen them bed along a shoreline, slightly (20 yards) off the water in really thick cover. Most of the time the shoreline was only knee deep too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:24 am

I have a lot of points like that where I hunt. I've never found much sign or activity there. I agree with the guys, I believe they feel to teapot there
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:29 am

Here's a pic of a point that points into a lake

I have found deer beds and a fair number of rubs in this triangular section, but it's marsh not just dry hardwoods. When I walk it nothing screamed out primary buck bedding to me,,, BUT I think during the rut a guy could have a chance. .... Around the area I live a 3 year old buck can score pretty high rack wise.
faraones2112

Unread postby faraones2112 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:27 pm

I have found buck beds on similar points going into a large lake. What I have noticed is they are very wind specific beds. If the wind is not perfect they will not be there. From the beds I have found it seems they all have one thing in common and that is a large flat area before it drops to the lake shore. That gives the buck a visual of anything in front of him and a good 50 yard buffer between him and the water to slip away when busted out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”