Interesting tactic

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brickhouse

Interesting tactic

Unread postby Brickhouse » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:46 pm

https://youtu.be/W1yzWwtd2e8

Check out this video. :lol: The guy "builds" buck beds. What do you guys think about his tactic? Seems like more of a gimmick type thing to me. Personally I feel like the time and effort put into that would be much more valuable scouting for actual beds instead of trying to force one. Who knows, maybe it works sometimes
Last edited by dan on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed video

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Interesting tactic

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:50 pm

It works if you put them in areas bucks would already want to bed. I found a buck bed on the edge of a overgrown field. It's backer was an old big role of wire fence. Wasn't placed there for a bed but in turned into one. Rubs leaving and coming to it. I put a trail cam by it. Have not checked it yet
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:48 am

I'm sure if you built a lean too or roof in an area that deer already want to bed they would use it. This spring I was scouting and a heavy rain came in. I jumped a big Deer out from under an overhanging rock. It was 80 yards from a very promising looking bedding area.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:29 am

I'll take you guys' word I'm still a complete newbie when it comes to buck beds! I suppose it's just like anything else in hunting, location is key!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:25 am

It can work if a guy really knows what he is doing, but usually it don't work well. Its better to enhance an area than a "spot". I scout a lot of properties for people in spring and there is a well known guy who does the same and he often puts in bedding spots and every time I see his work at peoples properties his beds seem to get used a few times right away when the dirt is fresh, then don't get used anymore. They need to be right where the thermal air current collides with the wind in steep terrain, and its even more impossible in rolling terrain. The best way to do it is to hinge cut big trees crosswise to the wind and let the bucks make there own beds.
When you look a great mature buck bedding its so perfect its very hard to recreate. The best you can do usually is enhance the spots they already choose to use.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:37 am

I found some beds last year in one of those old barns they store round bales in which has a side open. I placed a camera on it a low and behold it was being used by multiple deer. Although all pics were at night while they chewed there cud still thought it was neat.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:54 am

dan wrote:It can work if a guy really knows what he is doing, but usually it don't work well. Its better to enhance an area than a "spot". I scout a lot of properties for people in spring and there is a well known guy who does the same and he often puts in bedding spots and every time I see his work at peoples properties his beds seem to get used a few times right away when the dirt is fresh, then don't get used anymore. They need to be right where the thermal air current collides with the wind in steep terrain, and its even more impossible in rolling terrain. The best way to do it is to hinge cut big trees crosswise to the wind and let the bucks make there own beds.
When you look a great mature buck bedding its so perfect its very hard to recreate. The best you can do usually is enhance the spots they already choose to use.

Sounds like it could be a good learning tool for a guy in the off season to really get some hands on learning about the air currents and what the bucks are looking for especially since my hunting areas are so green right now I'd have to trip on them to find them. My summer trips are now checking known bedding to learn what is being used summer and what is being used in season then what is the "Rut" beds. I did a quick scout of a spot here at work that I can't hunt but have very good first hand knowledge of the property and I was surprised to see some beds that I thought were rut only bed near the doe bedding are being used all year. The bucks on this property must hate me I stomp through there beds all the time, but they are dang near tame until rut hits then all the surrounding bucks envade the "safe" area. I did see two more bucks this morning with nubs.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”