Rifle hunting mountain tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Deuce280

Rifle hunting mountain tactics

Unread postby Deuce280 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 am

Has anyone tried the beast tactics in the mountains during gun season?

I'm new to this type of hunting and have been watching the hill country videos and reading the posts on here for a few months now. Most of my gun hunting is done in the ANF mountains in Pennsylvania. Ive found a few beds that appear to be used by bucks. One of the beds looks like I will easily be able to approach it within 150 yards undetected and have a clear shot to the bed. Is this "stalking" beds in gun season a tactic anyone else uses?

PK_
500 Club

Re: Rifle hunting mountain tactics

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 am

I don't know of anyone who specifically does it in the mountains but it has been done with gun and bow and can be very effective, especially with a rifle...

I prefer to hunt this way in areas with lower deer numbers. You aren't going to be blowing doe groups and satellite bucks all over the woods. Also the more beds I can check in a day the higher chance of running into a shooter. Areas with low dpsm and lots of bedding options, hunting a single bed in a day can be pretty futile.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Deuce280

Unread postby Deuce280 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 am

That's pretty much what I was thinking. This tactic should work all day long. Just keep jumping from bed to bed til I find an occupied one. Gun season here is only two weeks long and after the opener there is almost no one hunting the mountains to keep deer moving.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:19 am

This is a good question. I have been wondering the same thing so I'm in for the information. I haven't hunted much with a gun the last few years but as my schedule is filling up during bow season I might have to get out during the rifle season this year.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:57 am

It is a great tactic man. You will learn a ton about which beds are actually holding during that part of season. It is one of the funnest ways to hunt IMO.

Just be careful, your treestands may begin gathering dust.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:50 pm

I know Dan mentioned he did that when looking for a specific hunt. He said to approach the beds on a cross wind so you don't get smelled before you are seen/heard. But yeah, I think that would be a great way to learn how the deer in your area bed. Keep notes on what you see
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”