Is this the best way to hunt this? Swamp island with pictures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NEHunter

Is this the best way to hunt this? Swamp island with pictures

Unread postby NEHunter » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:12 pm

I scouted this area early spring when there was still ice and no leaf out. I went back earlier this month and quickly realized how thick this actually will be come early bow season. It is hard to see from this aerial but the brown area is some type of ferns chest height or higher. In between the ferns are thorn shrubs and small red maples.

The island: Made up of mostly red maples and tamarack with thick shrubs surrounding it. I found beds throughout the island (yellow)

Open space between mainland and island: Made of up of the ferns and extremely hard and loud to walk through. I found dug in beds where the blue dots are. Further south is currently chest high water with pockets of floating brush (blue line)

Mainland: Thick spruce and tamarack with oaks 200 + yards to the west of that. Took me almost an hour to get out there making a ton of noise.

Winds: Mostly NW WNW

My plan was to canoe (green line) into that small cove, then snip a way in through the brush. I would like to get 25-30 yards from the point, where the trails meet. I was going to hunt this on a West wind. I am assuming I will have to sacrifice the north point of the island as my wind would wash into it?

Anyone have a better plan? The mainland entrance is out of the question as I would have to walk through private property or extremely think brush, like crawling style. It was pretty rough getting out there with just me let alone a stand and bow. I would really like to get out there via water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TNstalker

Re: Is this the best way to hunt this? Swamp island with pictures

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:57 pm

I like the water plan for access. U going to hunt morning evening or both. I would think for afternoon u may have to cut a path in or take it real slow to go undetected. Sounds like a great spot for sure. If coming from mainland is out only other thought would be come in by water north of that spot walk in to the area u plan to hunt if it is to risky to come straight in from the water.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:32 pm

I like the idea of coming in from straight east of the island and sneaking in to where all the trails that come from bedding converge before moving towards the mainland. That way you don't blow the point which is a likely spot for the biggest buck to bed.
NEHunter

Unread postby NEHunter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:00 am

I was going to hunt this in the afternoon during Sept-Oct. I was also thinking trying to hunt it with a S wind, which we get around here early season but I figured a Westward wind would be more favorable to the deer. I was also thinking of going for broke hunting the morning during muzzle loader season on the island. Hunting the south end point on the island on a NE wind. The island has some taller trees that would allow me to see the entire swamp.

I set a trail camera near the south, within the marsh. I was hoping to get some insight on timing and what kind of wind they would be using. Looking back I should have placed it closer to mainland but I really only want to go back there maybe once to get the camera and mark a stand tree before hunting it.

Thanks for the advise guys!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:37 am

I put my glasses on and took a closer look at your pic. If I were scouting for myself I would zoom in real close and look at the deer trails and see where they all come together on the edges on the island. I can see enough trails even with your zoomed out image to determine at least 3 key bedding areas. One is to the north tip, one to the south, and one towards the middle.

If it were me, in this scenario, I would be looking for a wind that don't blow at the deer. South, North, or east... Bucks in swamp terrain like this will have beds in there for each wind in close proximity. I would look at setting up between the island and the main land as close to the island as possible along those heavy trails coming from bedding towards the island. looks to me like there is 3 trails that could be treated like 3 different hunting spots... I would choose the closet tree capable of wedging a stand in. Generally this means hunting low and in less than ideal trees, but... If possible, I would choose spots where you can see and hear a long ways and be prepared to bust a move to where you see action the next day you hunt.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am

i have a similar spot that I can access straight from water. I've been playing with the idea of doing it in the morning getting in over too the bedding. Only prob if I'm wrong I'm busting deer or stuck. So I'm thinking of observation ideas to keep that from happening. But if I'm wrong I will know where to be lol. Dan u have any ideas on that thought?
NEHunter

Unread postby NEHunter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:45 am

Dan:

The area in between the island looks similar to the photo below. It's not easy to tell from the photo but the ferns and reeds are about chest high to me, with shrubs underneath and minus the larger diameter maples. Would you be worried about the noise of walking through this? Or just go extremely slow making as little noise as possible. On a plus, I guess I would have at least some screen from visual sightings with the height.
If I am understanding you correctly. I should start from the north access working south to the remaining 2 major trails, hunting the middle ground. Ideally, each set having some visibility for future sets. I actually just bought an assault stand so I could set up in small trees, sitting backwards like I saw you do in one of your youtube vids.

Great insight. I can see I should be getting deeper than originally thought. Thanks again for taking a closer look.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 pm

TNstalker wrote:i have a similar spot that I can access straight from water. I've been playing with the idea of doing it in the morning getting in over too the bedding. Only prob if I'm wrong I'm busting deer or stuck. So I'm thinking of observation ideas to keep that from happening. But if I'm wrong I will know where to be lol. Dan u have any ideas on that thought?

I would probably try evenings before mornings.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:57 pm

NEHunter wrote:Dan:

The area in between the island looks similar to the photo below. It's not easy to tell from the photo but the ferns and reeds are about chest high to me, with shrubs underneath and minus the larger diameter maples. Would you be worried about the noise of walking through this? Or just go extremely slow making as little noise as possible. On a plus, I guess I would have at least some screen from visual sightings with the height.
If I am understanding you correctly. I should start from the north access working south to the remaining 2 major trails, hunting the middle ground. Ideally, each set having some visibility for future sets. I actually just bought an assault stand so I could set up in small trees, sitting backwards like I saw you do in one of your youtube vids.

Great insight. I can see I should be getting deeper than originally thought. Thanks again for taking a closer look.

Just go slow and quiet. I go thru stuff like that a lot... Don't worry to much if you spook a deer or two either. I have shot deer on hunts where I have spooked satellite deer. As far as access, you should access the north trail from the north and the south trail from the south. Middle trail you will have to determine.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:09 pm

NEHunter wrote:Dan:

Walk slow. I walked through stuff similar to that while out fishing a small river. The amount of deer and turkey I jumped AND saw was crazy. They didn't jump until I almost stepped on them. And I wasn't trying to be stealthy either. You would be surprised how quiet green ferns are. Just watch your feet, I should've broken my ankle on a log I never saw. The ferns were knocking my hat off, and I'm 6'4. Unless the deer smell you or see you, you probably will sound like another animal. Just don't have a human rhythm to your walk
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
NEHunter

Unread postby NEHunter » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:45 am

Sounds like a plan guys. I actually jumped a deer while walking to the island through the mid ground. Never got a look at it though but found a dug in bed all wet. I am heading back out mid July to grab the camera and will mark out some trees. I'll post some trail pics if I get anything noteworthy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”