Non leeward slope/Thermal based bedding.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeerDylan
500 Club

Non leeward slope/Thermal based bedding.

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:59 am

I find a good amount of beds on steep/thick windward slopes on the top 1/3 (give or take on direction of pressure). One thing I have noticed is some of these beds have more of an oval shape than beds on on leeward slopes and points.

Recently I was in a bed that was between two dead falls and I started thinking that what if some of these beds are almost strictly based on the rise and fall of thermals(and some visual)? A buck could come in and lay down facing down hill with the dropping thermals coming over his back while watching below until late morning (it takes a while for the sun to hit that valley in that area) once the thermal switch happens he could get up, turn around and lay down while still having back cover and air current over his back. That particular bed was pretty high in elevation so he could see decent looking up hill too.

I was curious if anyone has noticed or documented this?

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Non leeward slope/Thermal based bedding.

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:19 am

Could it possibly have to do with pressure also?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:47 pm

They come in all shapes and sizes. Variable winds can make things really tough to figure out and Not all of them play by the rules either... Im not following what you mean about the oval shape exactly?

It sounds like your in tune w your spot pretty well though, especially knowing when it's shaded. Reviewing the footage w a map up helps me try to get into his head a little more. You're asking the main question though WHY?

I have a buck I'd like to try and hunt this season. Bumped him on the right wind (a ways down wind of hunters) and bumped him on the wrong wind. Its a really cool bed it's the only one iv re visited the same off season. Didnt get in the bed that last time but still close enough to confirm a track. I had a sick feeling after the second time BUT the Intel gathered the second time was more than I could have asked for.

I have seen what youre asking a few times. Every time was variable winds or it wasn't blowing the direction it was supposed to in that exact spot or its a visual situation for him. Two of those times it saw me before I could see it. All the times it was the off season, normal weather, no foliage and dead quite. Iv seen it when it's less thick, more open hard woods setting which leaves me scratching my head. Haven't been successful at finding out much either... never tried hunting one w the wrong wind. However, two of these spots had old rubs and both had hair in the exact beds 2 off seasons in a row. :think:
I will be targeting both this year.

I think what Tgreeno said holds some weight bc they do hold up in tighter areas late season anyways and alot of pressure can keep them pinned down...something i think about alot is what a buck is willing to tolerate under certain conditions or know how to "manipulate" that spot.

Sounds like a cool spot, I wish you luck Deer Dylan
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:They come in all shapes and sizes. Variable winds can make things really tough to figure out and Not all of them play by the rules either... Im not following what you mean about the oval shape exactly?

I didn't explain the shape thing very well haha. What I meant is in those textbook leeward spots I'll see the banana shaped beds and to me that is because it's consistent wind over back and thermals/sight advantage to front.

If the bed was used as I described it would be more oval shaped because of the buck switching 180° in the bed consistently due to the thermal switch. If you think about it a thermal switch is more abrupt and consistent than a wind switch in most cases.

I agree on pressure. He will not drink, eat or breed if he doesn't stay alive. A buck is looking out for numero uno and will adapt anywhere to keep kicking.

Good luck to you too. You were in them last year... It's only a matter of time 8-)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:14 am

What I have seen is if the windward slopes in the area are thicker than the leeward slopes, wind-be-damned the deer are sticking to the cover.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:40 am

PK_ wrote:What I have seen is if the windward slopes in the area are thicker than the leeward slopes, wind-be-damned the deer are sticking to the cover.

I believe this to be correct also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:33 am

PK_ wrote:What I have seen is if the windward slopes in the area are thicker than the leeward slopes, wind-be-damned the deer are sticking to the cover.

I think this is the answer!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”