How to beat a bucks nose!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How to beat a bucks nose!!!

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 am

tgreeno wrote:Shoot him before he smells you.

Works 100% every time.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:44 am

The smoke thing has been discussed a few times on here. I do smoke up on the farm in KY. I do not on public land in FL. Tried it not good results. I have done both on public land in KY and don't have enough experience to know if I think it helps or not there.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:40 am

Rich M wrote:Tenn - great answer. I was wondering about the scent trail itself. You get in undetected, then the buck shows up - can he smell the scent trail from your passing 2 hours earlier from 10 feet away, 15, etc.?

South Carolina deer managment did a test and found bucks walking a ridge 330 yards to east were smelling doe bedding on the other side of the field. Course this had very few obstructions for the scent to hit.

But they were amazed at how far away bucks could smell those estrus does. So i assume they smell human scent the same.

Im sure weather - wind speed does effect this but too what extent is unknown.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:44 am

I've watched bucks with nose to ground obviously following an estrous doe trail. That had been made some time before I got in my stand. Many times I was on stand for several hours before the buck showed up. Some I watched come all of the way across a 40 acre field. So 1/4 of a mile. On an at least 4 hour old scent trail.

I've watched deer react to other hunters 1/2 mile away, that I know they could not see, but the wind was blowing from the hunters to the deer.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”