New idea for this fall

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sean55025

New idea for this fall

Unread postby Sean55025 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:10 am

This year for my public land hunts I am going to use my new aluminum hang on stand but instead of climbing sticks to save more weight I'm just going to use my loggers tree spurs to get up and down and let my repelling harness do double duty. It'll be nice to base my tree only on deer movement only.

Wlog
500 Club

Re: New idea for this fall

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 am

This may be a stupid question because I've never repelled down a tree. Is there a way to retrieve the rope from up top once your at the base of the tree or do you leave it for future hunts? Just curious.

Welcome to the beast!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:24 am

I think he's using the harness for safety and the spurs for climbing & descending.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 am

You better make sure that's all right to do on the public land you hunt. A lot of public land restricts cutting branches, screw in steps, and anything that causes mechanical damage to trees period. You're idea wouldn't work where I live. So I would check your local laws before you find out you're not supposed to do that the hard way. plus those gaffs leave some serious evidence of where you have been.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 am

Problem with spurs is just what Bigburner said; illegal on most public lands. If it wasn't, spurs would be a dream scenario, especially for someone hunting out of a saddle.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:46 am

Sean55025 is this a safe technique?

I researched this some time back and decided against it because IIRC spurs are not safe on trees with bark (or certain types of trees) and were intended for linesmen climbing debarked poles.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 am

I tried Spurs afew seasons ago for the reasons mentioned. Long story short right foot slipped driving spur into my left calve! Back to the sticks
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:18 am

Wlog wrote:This may be a stupid question because I've never repelled down a tree. Is there a way to retrieve the rope from up top once your at the base of the tree or do you leave it for future hunts? Just curious.

Welcome to the beast!

Paracord tied to a petzl ring for example. Use the ring on your rappel line which is cinched to the tree. Pull on the ring with the paracord and down she comes. Most of the time :o . Type of rope used and amount of friction will certainly play into how well it will work..

Chad
Sean55025

Unread postby Sean55025 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 am

I have logging spurs not pole spurs but you are correct pole spurs would be no good. Second from all my research spurs are ok they don't fall in the category of anything that does permanent damage i.e. screw in steps. I'm not repelling down however I do repel and there are many ways to retrieve a rope once on the ground.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:36 am

I know Flinginairos uses them and has had great success last year and he is very knowledgable. You could try PMing him

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”